Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old May 5th 2009, 10:11 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

forza .......
used like :

come on
get a move on
jump to it
move it
get on with it
Old May 5th 2009, 10:13 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

also means "strength"

No ho la forza di continuare.

I haven't got the strength to carry on.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Thanks Lorna, So few words so many meanings!! This is part of my problem I think: what I want to say in English is too complicated but I probably know the simpler word already, I just need to think about things in a simpler way!! Although those 'little' words are a problem for me!! knowing when to use 'di' or 'a' or 'da' or 'su' or 'in' or 'con'. I often make a guess and I am often corrected!!
Old May 5th 2009, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Indiebird

I feel the same way - the more you know, the more complicated it gets. Back in October when I had just moved to Italy I only knew a few phrases, they were enough to get by with and I was confident with them.

Now after some months of lessons I know an awful lot more but I am also an awfully lot more confused because I think 'which past tense should I use' or when there are 2 verb infinitives in one sentence, which one do I change and which one stays the same.

I think I must be getting better but it's still hard to talk to someone in Italian.

My new favourite overheard words are Dai and Dimme - I think these are 'come on!' and 'tell me'.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Ah linaf, it is good to know it isn't just me then!! I am totally in the dark about which type of past tense verb to use, when!! I have also come across things called 'conditional subjunctives' that still remain a total mystery to me!! I think that 'dai' means give but you fear it a lot and also 'damme' too which i think is 'give me' but this 'dai' thing seems to be similar to 'forza' i.e 'come on' 'get a move on' etc. (I think!!!!!) 'dimme' is tell me, I am sure.... I wait to be corrected....
Old May 5th 2009, 12:27 pm

dimmi - tell me. From the verb dire.
Dammi - give me. From the verb dare

Dai is another expression that can be used a number of ways.

Mostly it means ....come on come on / hurry up but it's also used in a way that we might say "really?"

It can be used to show surprise in this kind of way:
Did you hear that Maria has left Marco?
No ... dai ! ?

or this way too, as in, go on get away with ye - ye kidding me.
Buying myself a Ferrari tomorrow. Dai - yeah - as if !

it can also mean, yes let's.
Fancy going out for a pizza tonight? Si dai !

That is expressions. Don't forget that dai is also the tu part of the verb dare.

Dai il soldino alla signora.
Give the penny to the lady.
Old May 6th 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

I got stuck today! What i wanted to say was 'Julia (my dd) talks about Georgia all the time' the bit I got stuck on was the 'about' bit. I know that 'circa' means about but more like if you said 'it takes circa 30 minutes by car' so I have a feeling it won't be the same. I must have looked a right idiot to this poor Nonna... sometimes I wish I would think before trying to make conversation....
Old May 6th 2009, 2:58 pm

just say ........ sempre .......... always

or

spesso ............ often
Old May 6th 2009, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

yeah but what would the sentence be? 'Julia parla georgia sempre/ spesso?' is that enough?
Old May 6th 2009, 3:04 pm

no -

Julia parla di Giorgia sempre. (about)

Julia parla sempre di Giorgia.
Old May 6th 2009, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

doh!!! I wasn't thinking laterally again was I!! Thanks Lornaxxx
Old May 10th 2009, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

barb14 is an unknown quantity at this point

[I tried all sorts of cd's etc before i 1st visited italy only to find out the area we went to spoke its own dialect and hardly anyone understaood me!
Tha shook my confidence a bit!
Next time I tried starting a conversation was with 2 kids on a ski lift, I asked them what I thought was
"what is your names?"
I got the answer
"I don't understand I am from Naples"!!!!!!

YOU CANNOT WIN!

My real howler however was when I mixed up dog and meat ! Oh well they laughed!
Old May 11th 2009, 6:55 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Which sounds better in Italian -
It gets excited quickly - lo si eccita subito
or
It becomes excited quickly - lo diventirà eccitato subito.
Or are they both incorrect?
Old May 11th 2009, 5:48 pm

ChrisNorway is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Ask all your question on the Italian language, its rules, quirks, sayings and irregulars here.
Heard this a lot from some of the Italian crew on my gas tanker,"Porko dio"
Old May 11th 2009, 5:54 pm

ChrisNorway is an unknown quantity at this point

Penso che il peggio di persone nel mondo per le competenze linguistiche sono gli inglesi, io sono dalla Norvegia e parla italiano, inglese, francese e tedesco,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.