Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

It was a hepa filter air purifier Lorna. Hubby has not been well for several months and we are hoping this will help.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:02 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret M
It was a hepa filter air purifier Lorna. Hubby has not been well for several months and we are hoping this will help.
Hope it helps your husband's health.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Lorna. Unfortunately we don't think it will do the trick quick enough for him to make the journey back to the UK for our daughter's wedding in March.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:51 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret M
Thank you Lorna. Unfortunately we don't think it will do the trick quick enough for him to make the journey back to the UK for our daughter's wedding in March.
Oh no - that's such a dreadful shame. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you both make it to the wedding.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you. I think she is resigned to him not being there, but if he could it would be a nice surprise for her.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:10 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I need to put a nice friendly note on the door for my new postie. The old one was a dream, she knocked with parcels or large envelopes and if I wasn't in left them with the porter further down the street. This one leaves stuff on my step, which is basically the pavement, and stuffs what he can in my tiny letter box so I come home to stuff falling onto the pavement. I'd hoped he was temporary but it doesn't seem to be the case....SO I want to post a note saying,

"Dear Postman, please ring the bell when you have parcels, large envelopes or magazines. Please wait for an answer. If I don't answer please do not leave in box or on street, they get stolen, please take to the Porter, Marie-Louisa, at number 53, she is allowed to take them for me. Thank you."

This is more important with me going away, I don't want people to start to notice all the stuff sticking out of the box! Most don't notice my door anyway, but this would attract attention!
Old Mar 19th 2010, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
I need to put a nice friendly note on the door for my new postie. The old one was a dream, she knocked with parcels or large envelopes and if I wasn't in left them with the porter further down the street. This one leaves stuff on my step, which is basically the pavement, and stuffs what he can in my tiny letter box so I come home to stuff falling onto the pavement. I'd hoped he was temporary but it doesn't seem to be the case....SO I want to post a note saying,

"Dear Postman, please ring the bell when you have parcels, large envelopes or magazines. Please wait for an answer. If I don't answer please do not leave in box or on street, they get stolen, please take to the Porter, Marie-Louisa, at number 53, she is allowed to take them for me. Thank you."

This is more important with me going away, I don't want people to start to notice all the stuff sticking out of the box! Most don't notice my door anyway, but this would attract attention!
Gentilissimo Postino,
Per pacchi, buste grande e/o riviste, suonare il campanello per cortesia. In caso di nessuna risposta Le chideo gentilmente di non lasciare la posta ai piedi della porta perchè viene rubata, ma di consegnare la posta alla portinaia - Marie Louisa al n° 53. Lei ha permesso di ritirare la posta in mia assenza.
Grazie mille.

Just being pedantic but are you sure she is a Louisa and not a Luisa or even Mari-Luisa ??

The "gentilissmo postino" might be enough to butter him up enough to go to the porter rather than a plainer 'gentile' or more formal 'egregio postino'.

Will something like that do you or is it too long?
Old Mar 19th 2010, 11:10 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

If it says what I asked, it's fine!! I'll check her name, I have it written down by the landlady!! Thanks! I'll let you know when I come back if it worked!!
Old Mar 19th 2010, 11:16 am

If it says what I asked, it's fine!! I'll check her name, I have it written down by the landlady!! Thanks! I'll let you know when I come back if it worked!!

It's ever so slightly different because I've Italianised it :
It says :

Dear Kind Postman
For parcels, big envelopes and /or magazines, please ring the bell. In the case of no reply, I ask you kindly to not leave post at the foot of the door because it gets stolen, but to take it to the porter - Marie-Louisa at N.53. She has permission to collect post in my absence.
Thank you.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 11:28 am
The Original Red Head!

Lol! I guessed as much, I just added a bit - hopefully correctly - about not leaving big envelopes in there too... We'll see...
Old Mar 19th 2010, 11:59 am

Lol! I guessed as much, I just added a bit - hopefully correctly - about not leaving big envelopes in there too... We'll see...
well what did you think I was going to write?

"Dear Postie,

I'm going away for a bit so please feel free to dump my post on the ground where it gets wet, dirty or stolen - just like you normally do !"
Old Mar 19th 2010, 12:40 pm
The Original Red Head!

Noooo....daft bugger! It's just that I wrote it out and stuck it on the door without really paying attention as he was due to arrive and I wanted him to see it today and tomorrow, before I go.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Giulia85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest my translation

"Gentile postino (or u can also leave it out), per la consegna di documenti o riviste si prega di suonare il campanello. In caso di non risposta, si prega di non lasciare la posta nella cassetta o in strada, in quanto viene spesso sottratta. La Signora Maria Luisa (think it's the correct name), portiere dello stabile, ritirerĂ  la posta per conto mio. La ringrazio per la collaborazione."
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Giulia85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
That would be "Porco Dio"

Italians don't have the letter 'K' in their alphabet.

It's an expression used a lot but is blasphemous.
It's only used by very rude people
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Giulia85
It's only used by very rude people
We know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.