Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 8:05 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
To be prefectly and gramatically correct it should be, fatti I fatti tuoi.

Another way of saying mind your own busines is fai gli affari tuoi.

Like Pat said, it's not really polite Indie from a child to an adult but I suppose it's only like an English kid telling his teacher to keep her nose out or to stop being nosey.

I compliment his Italian. He's really picking up the little bits of Italian that you only get from living here.
P.S. - it would have been much, much ruder if he'd said - fai i cazzi tuoi
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
P.S. - it would have been much, much ruder if he'd said - fai i cazzi tuoi
Hmmmmm it might have even been 'fatti i fatti tuoi' but I'm not always good at hearing those little words in the middle..... I knew vaguely what it meant though and I felt very ashamed. The only good thing is that he can't have learnt it from me!! He must have picked it up at school! I am kinda glad though that he is integrating though. That was one of my biggest worries but his teachers say that he is fully integrated into the class now and doesn't have to think about what he says anymore. That has to be a good thing.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 10:07 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indiebird
Right, just a quickie.... something my darling boy said to a teacher today: 'fatti fatti tuoi' please excuse spelling if it's rubbish!! I think it means mind your own business but is it a very rude way of saying it?
It's not exactly the most courteous frase, but it depends what she asked him. My ds has a habit (bad) of saying, 'ma, una spaghettata di cazzi tuoi non te li puoi fare'?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 10:16 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
It's not exactly the most courteous frase, but it depends what she asked him. My ds has a habit (bad) of saying, 'ma, una spaghettata di cazzi tuoi non te li puoi fare'?
Never heard that one before but I quite like it
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I've got no idea what that means. I presume that with 'cazzi' in the middle it's not good though...

Apparently he (along with Matteo- I really hope they don't get put in the same class next year, although he is gorgeous) ran through the school the other morning to get into class, terrorising the small kids on the way, and fell over and the teacher just said 'See? Thats what happens when you run through the school like that isn't it?' and so he told her to mind her own business!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:03 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indiebird
I've got no idea what that means. I presume that with 'cazzi' in the middle it's not good though...

Apparently he (along with Matteo- I really hope they don't get put in the same class next year, although he is gorgeous) ran through the school the other morning to get into class, terrorising the small kids on the way, and fell over and the teacher just said 'See? Thats what happens when you run through the school like that isn't it?' and so he told her to mind her own business!
Er no, not a very polite thing for your dear boy to say, but I bet you (knowing your ds) it's something a teacher said to him.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Er no, not a very polite thing for your dear boy to say, but I bet you (knowing your ds) it's something a teacher said to him.
Well he had to have learned it there but I guess that maybe another kid might have taught him.... he does have a problem minding his own business.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

what does this mean "Consegna da evadere" - google translate isn't very helpful, it says "delivery evade"
Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:24 am
Concierge

It means they will deliver as soon as their system processes the purchase. It can also mean they'll give you a date when they receive payment.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

so no real idea of when then? I did have a phone call yesterday, asking about delivery problems (we have cda xxx, s/n address), so I asked them to deliver to our agent in the town. Could this hopefully mean it is on it's way?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret M
so no real idea of when then? I did have a phone call yesterday, asking about delivery problems (we have cda xxx, s/n address), so I asked them to deliver to our agent in the town. Could this hopefully mean it is on it's way?
It could be on its way as "consegna da evadere" could also be interpreted as "ready to be dispatched".
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

now I'm guessing this Spedizione partita doesn't really mean this Postage game.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:12 am

now I'm guessing this Spedizione partita doesn't really mean this Postage game.
Aren't translations just great - lol.

I take spedizione partita to mean "shipment sent - has left the building"
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

I guess you are right as it has now arrived
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:40 pm

I guess you are right as it has now arrived
Glad whatever you ordered got there okay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.