Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old Sep 23rd 2021, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

I suppose you could say che mancha quel qualcosa a trattare con la gente, mancha charisma o gentilezza, o manca di simpatia !
Bo !
Old Sep 28th 2021, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

The common man is "l'uomo della strada", so you could perhaps use that in a similar context, along the lines of "non è in sintonia con l'uomo della strada"
"uomo della strada
  • Fig.: il cittadino medio, che rappresenta le aspirazioni, la cultura e la mentalità corrente del Paese in cui vive."
Old Sep 28th 2021, 6:20 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Folks where I live are simple. They'd just say, "non sa stare con la gente."

I was once dumped, (for want of a nicer expression) with a young apprentice on the first day of an international trade fair in Milan. He was nice and pleasant and wishy-washy and insignificant. When my boss asked me at the end of the day what my thoughts were, I said that he wasn't very "assertivo". My boss told me that wasn't Italian. It is, but I thought about it a lot and realised that the folks where I live always use the same vocab. Something is bello or bellissimo or it's non molto bello. I had one hundred different adjectives to describe something and here it was bello o brutto. That's simplifying things a little but it is also true. The lawyers and the engineers all think they are some kind of Dante with big, long winded speak, unnecessary 500 word sentences and the normal folk just speak plainly.
Old Nov 26th 2023, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

In English we can say sugar bowl for zuccheriera . But how can/do we translate formaggiera? 'Cheese bowl' I've never heard but maybe I've been out of the UK too long. I know it's a thing fairly unique to Italy but what might an authentic trattoria or restaurant in the UK term it for the locals?
Old Nov 26th 2023, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

We call a sugar bowl a sugar bowl because it is a bowl - that's its shape, For cheese I'd say "cheese board", or maybe "cheese platter" if I wanted to sound rustic and traditional.
Old Nov 26th 2023, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonwel
We call a sugar bowl a sugar bowl because it is a bowl - that's its shape, For cheese I'd say "cheese board", or maybe "cheese platter" if I wanted to sound rustic and traditional.
you misunderstood. I mean the container with a lid and small spoon which contains grated parmigiano or sometimes peccorino and is for sprinkling over your pasta or risotto.
Old Nov 26th 2023, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by campos
In English we can say sugar bowl for zuccheriera . But how can/do we translate formaggiera? 'Cheese bowl' I've never heard but maybe I've been out of the UK too long. I know it's a thing fairly unique to Italy but what might an authentic trattoria or restaurant in the UK term it for the locals?
I found 'grated cheese holder'!' https://www.artofpewter.com/productp...id=69&lingua=u
Old Nov 27th 2023, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by campos
you misunderstood. I mean the container with a lid and small spoon which contains grated parmigiano or sometimes peccorino and is for sprinkling over your pasta or risotto.
Whoops! Sorry about that - it did seem like a weird question!

I've found "Parmesan cheese holder" or "grated Parmesan holder".
Old Nov 27th 2023, 7:21 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

yeah but nobody talks like that back home. If ever in an Italian restaurant it's usually them that ask if you want cheese. You'd never sit there and ask them to bring the cheese holder.
Old Nov 28th 2023, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Agreed. I'd say "Could I have some cheese, please?" (assuming they didn't bring it automatically).

But terms like "grated Parmesan holder" you'd find in a retaurant supplies catalogue.
Old Nov 28th 2023, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
yeah but nobody talks like that back home. If ever in an Italian restaurant it's usually them that ask if you want cheese. You'd never sit there and ask them to bring the cheese holder.
Originally Posted by jonwel
Agreed. I'd say "Could I have some cheese, please?" (assuming they didn't bring it automatically).

But terms like "grated Parmesan holder" you'd find in a retaurant supplies catalogue.
Ok but what does the restaurant owner say to the waiters/chefs .??. "Fill up the grated parmesan cheese holders you lazy lot!"
Old Dec 4th 2023, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've just looked at some old posts from 2 years back (# 1487) discussing how to ranslate "l'uomo della strada", If it's any help to anyone, the literal translation "the man in the street" is quite common and usually fits quite well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.