Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old May 11th 2009, 5:57 pm

ChrisNorway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Originally Posted by barb14
[I tried all sorts of cd's etc before i 1st visited italy only to find out the area we went to spoke its own dialect and hardly anyone understaood me!
Tha shook my confidence a bit!
Next time I tried starting a conversation was with 2 kids on a ski lift, I asked them what I thought was
"what is your names?"
I got the answer
"I don't understand I am from Naples"!!!!!!

YOU CANNOT WIN!

My real howler however was when I mixed up dog and meat ! Oh well they laughed!

Dont give in,beleive me or not suddenly it will all pop into place,

Mvh Chris
Old May 11th 2009, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by barb14
[

My real howler however was when I mixed up dog and meat ! Oh well they laughed!
A few weeks after my son started at the Asilo I asked him what he had for lunch.
He replied "dog", so my next question was, "did you eat it?". His answer was "Yes, I liked it"
Old May 11th 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

barb14 is an unknown quantity at this point

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
theres posh!
Old May 11th 2009, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

barb14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LivingHere
A few weeks after my son started at the Asilo I asked him what he had for lunch.
He replied "dog", so my next question was, "did you eat it?". His answer was "Yes, I liked it"
I managed to reduce an entire rugby club to hysterics!

After that and several more beers I stuck to drunkenese, an international language!
Old May 11th 2009, 7:46 pm

The best one i heard up there in Norway was when a Brit tried to impres his new girlfreind and instead of asking her to dance asap,he asked her if she fancied a bit on the dance floor,needles to say she just laughed because she new he was trying his hardest to learn the lingo
Old May 12th 2009, 6:43 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Peeps, try and stay on topic please. If you want to ramble then move it to the happy hour thread.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:19 am

Buongiorno, vi sono gravi, che cosa non va con pochi racconti per portare un sorriso,
Old May 12th 2009, 7:38 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisNorway
Heard this a lot from some of the Italian crew on my gas tanker,"Porko dio"
That would be "Porco Dio"

Italians don't have the letter 'K' in their alphabet.

It's an expression used a lot but is blasphemous.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:40 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
Which sounds better in Italian -
It gets excited quickly - lo si eccita subito
or
It becomes excited quickly - lo diventirà eccitato subito.
Or are they both incorrect?
For arguement's sake, let's pretend you are talking about a puppy.

I would say ........ "si eccita facilmente /subito"

I don't think you need the extra 'lo'.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; May 12th 2009 at 11:48 am. Reason: missing word
Old May 12th 2009, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
That would be "Porco Dio"

Italians don't have the letter 'K' in their alphabet.

It's an expression used a lot but is blasphemous.
Yes i know Lorna,they really upset some of there work collegues when they said this,it was sometimes hard for me to understand but i suppose when one is a catholic then "pig god" would be hurtfull,
Old May 13th 2009, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

The funniest thing my wife said when we came to Italy.

She went shopping and was looking for Pillows for the spare bed and asked "questi sono peli di uccello" well the woman in the shop could not stop laughing. 3 and bit years on and i still laugh
Old May 13th 2009, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Mr Posh

She went shopping and was looking for Pillows for the spare bed and asked "questi sono peli di uccello" well the woman in the shop could not stop laughing. 3 and bit years on and i still laugh
Yes I know what you mean mr Posh, finché siamo in grado di prendere e ridere con loro, allora è ok

Old May 13th 2009, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mr Posh

LOL
Old May 14th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

ahem, how can I say 'my filling (in my tooth!!) has fallen out'? I need to phone the dentist and I don't know the word for filling!!
Old May 14th 2009, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by indiebird
ahem, how can I say 'my filling (in my tooth!!) has fallen out'? I need to phone the dentist and I don't know the word for filling!!
carie is the word for the cavity.

otturazione is the word for a filling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.