Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

SUGAR SANDWICHES ????

SUGAR SANDWICHES ????

Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:31 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default SUGAR SANDWICHES ????

Yesterday out of curiosity I had a little nosey in the Aussie forum.
They were having a huge discussion about who'd been fed sugar sandwiches as a child.
I never had them but I do remember very occasionally having a crisp sandwich.
Don't think I'd be able to stomach one now though.

They were also talking about "fairy bread" at all kids' parties.
This is bread, covered with chocolate spread and then sprinkled with rainbow coloured hundreds and thousands.
I can only imagine how hyper some of the kids must be after stuffing themselves with fairy bread!
I can also imagine how horrified some Italian mummies would be if I started serving it at my kids' parties - I hardly think I'd be starting a new trend
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

DORI DOE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SUGAR SANDWICHES ????

I've been to a party where a 2 mt long ciabatta was cut in half and spread with nutella and then topped with icing sugar. The mum in this case was Italian! I was most impressed but then I found out she's seen it on the nutella ad. A sort of fairy bread Italian style?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:12 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - nutella is pretty big here. Personally I've never been able to stand the stuff so my poor kids hardly ever get it as I always forget to buy any -it's not something that's a fixture on my shopping list. Bread and cheese or a nice piece of fruit is a healthier snack anyway. One kid in my daughter's class takes bread and nutella every day for break time. No wonder the little mite is beginning to look like the michelin man.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

DORI DOE is an unknown quantity at this point

The merendina thing is a big pain, you're doing well if yours go for fruit and cheese instead of a kinder. My two are 4 and 7 and are catching on real quick, up until recently I'd succeeded in keeping them away from Kinder bars and the like. It's easier in the summer when it's not just apples and pears on offer but more raspberries, apricots and cherries, plus they go down well blended up with some ice and sparkling white for me that is not he children!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

kathrynverona is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember being fed golden syrup sanwiches by my dad when I was little, I think it must be a yorkshire thing......he also had a penchant for faggots (the ones you eat..)
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

I remember having sugar sandwiches as a kid. Even now though one of my favourites is a golden syrup sandwich . I love the new plastic pour-it bottle they do it in - much easier to get in the suitcase
My other half eats nutella out of the jar with a spoon - yuck !!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Salt n vinegar crisp sandwiches on white sliced bread. Yum! Sugar sandwiches might not be so bad. Sounds like a dessert for when you've got nothing left in the house.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I had sugar sandwiches too, and crisp one. My hubby also eats nutella with a spoon.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by DORI DOE
The merendina thing is a big pain, you're doing well if yours go for fruit and cheese instead of a kinder. My two are 4 and 7 and are catching on real quick, up until recently I'd succeeded in keeping them away from Kinder bars and the like. It's easier in the summer when it's not just apples and pears on offer but more raspberries, apricots and cherries, plus they go down well blended up with some ice and sparkling white for me that is not he children!
Mine are 7 and 4 too - soon to be 8 and 5 - and yes - I hate Kinder bars and Kinder brioss too but nice daddy ocassionally buys them for the kids. Yes role on summer - my kids love making their own smoothies and milk shakes with loads of fruit and fresh milk - raspberries and white wine sounds like a better choice for me though - thanks for the tip !
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Beep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kathrynverona
I remember being fed golden syrup sanwiches by my dad when I was little, I think it must be a yorkshire thing......he also had a penchant for faggots (the ones you eat..)

Never ate sandwiches but I do remember at school eating a vile tart made with golden syrup and cornflakes .
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beep
Never ate sandwiches but I do remember at school eating a vile tart made with golden syrup and cornflakes .
Would that be aka a cornflake bun I wonder?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:57 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

You are all bringing back memories and some not so old either!

My mum was a big sugar butty fan - and banana butties with sugar and lemon juice! The soft white crust with butter and sugar was a treat!

Crisp butties I still do - it was one of my cravings when I was pregnant with my daughter. Salt and vinegar on white bread!

I used to love cornflake tart with custard at school! You sometimes get it with jam on the bottom, under the syrupy bit. They still sell them in bakers in Sussex.

On the parties and Meranda note. I do send mine in with sugar and succo in various forms, but as its not a huge meal or anything and we don't really do cakes and biccies at home, I think why not! If I bought them for home it would be me eating them so I don't dare! For birthdays at school parents take in a cake and loads of pop, everything including coke. My daughter always comes home with a big grin on her face on birthday days as she has sneaked a coke - it's not allowed, along with peach tea and other caffeinated drinks - makes both my kids high as kites and Antonia gets a rash on her face from the tea! I've just started letting my soon to be teen have normal coke after banning it for the last 8 years ever since he had one when he was 5. He drank it at 4 in the afternoon and was still bouncing at midnight!

It always surprises me that a country that is so proud of its food does feed its kids complete junk on high days and holidays - but I suppose you can when you know they are eating okay the rest of the time.
Old May 14th 2008, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

reviving an old thread.. i am hungry reading this!
Crisp sandwiches are my favourite.. I was thinking just today if only i could get hold of a packet of cheese and onion or salt and vinegar Walkers and some bigger slices of bread. With grated cheese.
And when we were kids my mum bought home the latest kitchen gadget, the sandwich toaster, and she made us 'Eccles cakes' - bread with currants and sugar, toasted.
Old May 14th 2008, 6:06 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Crisp butties with cheese - sounds grate (groan!)! They were one of the things I really craved when I was pregnant - my OH despaired as he thought I should be eating healthy things, I didn't care as long as it stayed down!

I can get Kettle Chips in the supermarket here - really good, I'd forgotten! Just need some soft white full of additives to go with them now!
Old May 15th 2008, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by ballerina
reviving an old thread.. i am hungry reading this!
Crisp sandwiches are my favourite.. I was thinking just today if only i could get hold of a packet of cheese and onion or salt and vinegar Walkers and some bigger slices of bread. With grated cheese.
And when we were kids my mum bought home the latest kitchen gadget, the sandwich toaster, and she made us 'Eccles cakes' - bread with currants and sugar, toasted.
I remember the electric sandwich toaster ..... it had two non-stick square places where you put the filled sandwich and when the lid came down it grilled everything nicely and cut the squares into triangles too.

I think ours might have been called a Breville - but maybe that name springs to mind from something else. I do remember though that even when the bread had cooled down - the cheese inside would still burn the roof of your mouth off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.