Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Student Loan entitlment when not residing in the UK

Student Loan entitlment when not residing in the UK

Old Jan 26th 2023, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all
Default Student Loan entitlment when not residing in the UK

Is there any way that a British student temporarily not residing in the UK, but planning to go back in a few years (quite possibly even before his studies are finished), can get a student loan when applying long distance for a UK Uni? Thanks.
Old Jan 27th 2023, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Loan entitlment when not residing in the UK

Originally Posted by ameliapond
Is there any way that a British student temporarily not residing in the UK, but planning to go back in a few years (quite possibly even before his studies are finished), can get a student loan when applying long distance for a UK Uni? Thanks.
I know the answer to this one! :-)

Unfortunately it's complicated. The first thing you need to do is decide which part of the UK - i.e. where are you from/where is the institution? Let's assume the answer to both questions is "England". Then you need to find the rules for Student Finance England (if not then you need to look at the other nations of the UK). It depends on your situation. In general you need to be BOTH 'settled' and 'resident', but the question is ( you haven't given much information in your original post) is where you are resident at the moment and why:

"A settled person is someone ordinarily resident in the UK without any immigration restriction on the length of their stay... Students with right of abode in the UK or indefinite leave to remain will meet the criteria.

A person is ordinarily resident if they normally and lawfully live in an area from choice. Temporary absences, including for work, are permitted."

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...rt-in-england/

You can find more advice on that webpage.

Then the percentage amount you might get depends on the nature of the course etc. I assume you're thinking of distance learning...so at most you'd only get course fees I think.