Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

State pension in the UK, national insurance.

Wikiposts

State pension in the UK, national insurance.

Old Jul 20th 2017, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State pension in the UK, national insurance.

I guess some people may not read the previous post where I say you can buy future years, or even work and pay them. It almost clearly tells you that on your forecast statement, one of the few things it does. What it does not tell you is about paying for the gaps and the fact that can enhance your pension. I suspect because they don't want you to!
To me stating people can buy additional years outside of the 6/10 year rule or future years payments, would perhaps (and may have) raise false hopes.
If nothing else I have a better understanding of the details on the flat rate pension (2016) than I did have. However I have no faith in the ability of the staff, government or the people programming their systems to get it right and will therefore endeavour to find out exactly how it is calculated. I only hope I’ve not confused people with my post as it was far from my intention to do so.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
I guess some people may not read the previous post where I say you can buy future years, or even work and pay them. It almost clearly tells you that on your forecast statement, one of the few things it does. What it does not tell you is about paying for the gaps and the fact that can enhance your pension. I suspect because they don't want you to!
To me stating people can buy additional years outside of the 6/10 year rule or future years payments, would perhaps (and may have) raise false hopes.
If nothing else I have a better understanding of the details on the flat rate pension (2016) than I did have. However I have no faith in the ability of the staff, government or the people programming their systems to get it right and will therefore endeavour to find out exactly how it is calculated. I only hope I’ve not confused people with my post as it was far from my intention to do so.
I know we're all trying to help, and much of the problem is that it's a complicated subject, with a large number of different scenarios. Part of the reason why I try to elicit as much information as possible to avoid too many ifs and buts in my answers. But the danger, as you rightly point out, is that people may not take the trouble to look at the specific context of a statement..

Depressingly, I have reasonable (but not absolute) confidence that their systems will pay out the right amount. Where I have little confidence is in their support staff's ability to explain the system (perhaps because their knowledge is rudimentary, limited to the 'normal' cases).
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot buy "future years" You can make payment for this year or by agreement for some years in the past but you cannot make contributions for the future.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
You cannot buy "future years" You can make payment for this year or by agreement for some years in the past but you cannot make contributions for the future.
Thanks scot47, but no-one on this thread has suggested that you can. There have been references to "paying for future years" - as in the right to pay for future years - but I think it has always been very clear in the context used that it means the right to pay IN future years for each year as it comes.

And as for some years in the past, you have the right or you don't - "some agreement" doesn't come into it as far as I know.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Decisions on NI payments are "Decisiojns of the Secretary of State" so you cannot appeal a decision or contest it in court. (I think !)

30 years since i last worked in this field so i might well be wrong !
Old Jan 8th 2018, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

UPDATE, I have been told to fill in N138 form to pay voluntary Nic's while abroad. They will send me a bill of how much arrears I can pay and I can do direct debit for future years.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by giuliana
UPDATE, I have been told to fill in N138 form to pay voluntary Nic's while abroad. They will send me a bill of how much arrears I can pay and I can do direct debit for future years.
I had a real good laugh at this, not you of course Giulana, but the fact they are still using the same leaflet (NI 38) and attached form (CF 38) as they were over 50 years ago! So much changes, it's so surprising to see this survive all those years. One thing is a lot easier these days, if you don't have one yet G, you can get one online here.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
I had a real good laugh at this, not you of course Giulana, but the fact they are still using the same leaflet (NI 38) and attached form (CF 38) as they were over 50 years ago! So much changes, it's so surprising to see this survive all those years. One thing is a lot easier these days, if you don't have one yet G, you can get one online here.
That is the one I filled in!!!