Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Speed Cameras Question

Speed Cameras Question

Old Aug 31st 2019, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future
Default Speed Cameras Question

Hi everyone

My soon to be father in law drove my car today and unfortunately went by a blue fixed speed camera in his village doing around 60, the limit is I believe,50.

He seemed to think the camera was only for show but who knows.

I was wondering how long it could take for the penalty notice to come through and if they allow for going slightly over the limit like in the UK.

thanks
Old Aug 31st 2019, 6:48 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speed Cameras Question

Originally Posted by tpw21
Hi everyone

My soon to be father in law drove my car today and unfortunately went by a blue fixed speed camera in his village doing around 60, the limit is I believe,50.

He seemed to think the camera was only for show but who knows.

I was wondering how long it could take for the penalty notice to come through and if they allow for going slightly over the limit like in the UK.

thanks
There is a slight leeway. If you were anywhere near Verona, not all the fixed speed cameras work all the time. They rotate them. If it had a light on top -not all do- and it was on it's working. Same in Turin. Rest of Italy, no idea.
Old Aug 31st 2019, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 37100
There is a slight leeway. If you were anywhere near Verona, not all the fixed speed cameras work all the time. They rotate them. If it had a light on top -not all do- and it was on it's working. Same in Turin. Rest of Italy, no idea.
Okay thank you.

This was in the province of Belluno and it was one of the older style blue speed cameras. If anything was to come through, how soon would it usually be?

thanks
Old Sep 6th 2019, 9:21 am
Jpk
Just Joined

Jpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tpw21

Okay thank you.

This was in the province of Belluno and it was one of the older style blue speed cameras. If anything was to come through, how soon would it usually be?

thanks
I would not know how long the processing might take - but you are in theory you are liable to have to pay the fine up to 5 years after the infringment. You are "safe" after 5 years.
In practice you are notified normally after 30/45 days.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 12:19 pm
Architect

Conor_0 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been informed by Italian friends that there is a 5% leeway over the speed limit.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Conor_0
I have been informed by Italian friends that there is a 5% leeway over the speed limit.
I think up to certain speeds (maybe 100km per hour) it’s 5km ph leeway.