Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Single mother- is it safe relocating to Catania?

Single mother- is it safe relocating to Catania?

Old May 27th 2015, 7:50 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single mother- is it safe relocating to Catania?

Originally Posted by modicasa
You may not have to scream at people in council offices in the North,
Oh you do. Over the years I've screamed in the town hall, the questura, Enel, Telecom, the Post Office etc.
Old May 27th 2015, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

You have avoided the main danger in Catania by not driving a car.
Old May 28th 2015, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cardi
You have avoided the main danger in Catania by not driving a car.
You are safer in a car than on most of the pavements in Catania - if you can call them pavements outside the city centre. A lot of people including myself walk in the road in Sicily as the surface is much more even and less dangerous than the "pavement" which is nearly always blocked by parked cars anyway.
If I was to live in Catania with a family I would probably choose one of the beautiful, safe and quite well kept villages on the side of Etna - Trecastagni, Zafferana Etnea - These are quite big with supermarkets etc. You can live up to 1500 m with an almost British climate and large chestnut woods all with a fantastic view over the sea. Its only a short run down to the city.

PS In Catania itself air conditioning is essential in the summer, Catania is the hottest city in Italy with temperatures often reaching 40°C. You will need the airconditioner in the winter to give a bit of heating as is gets quite cold with the wind coming down from Etna (where you can go skiing for instance)

Last edited by nicktonight; May 28th 2015 at 7:22 am.
Old May 31st 2015, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

I presume you work from home as a single mother? Just mentioning it as there is high unemployment to consider. Also electricity is very expensive so if running an aircon unit you'd need to factor that into the cost of living. An old building with thick walls/high ceilings would be cool in Summer (but cold/damp in winter).
Old Jun 1st 2015, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Starembe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all good answers. Catania or Siracusa looks the most interesting, all though I never actually been to Siracusa. My only concern, is that, Is Siracusa a very touristic place, with tourists everywhere, everyone speaks English, full of pensionists and tourists? (No offense) I just like to feel that I am in Italy, and not in another country. I am not to big fan of those overcrowded tourists places.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how it is in Siracusa, I can tell you my experience: I was born and living in Pisa, another very touristic town, and I have never had to complain about the presence of tourists: we live in two parallel words, go to different places, restaurants, and so on. Just avouded to go in the Miracle Square in the most crowded days, i.e. Easter Holidays and the like. Maybe it is the same in Siracusa.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Siracusa is a very beautiful and safe place to live. No trouble with tourists either outside of Ortigia island. On weekends in particular Ortigia is completely invaded by people from all the surrounding towns and villages as it has become the nightlife centre for the region. You will have no trouble finding a place to rent as there is a housing glut (except if you just want to rent for August when rents spike to 3 or 4 times normal). AC is absolutely essential as there are 3 months of uninterrupted heat from June to September with very high humidity and almost no drop in temperatures at night.
Siracusa is very different from Catania - much smaller and more provincial so perhaps the best thing to do is find a short-term rent and see which place suits you best
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Siracusa has a population of 180.000 while Catania is near 1 million. Ortigia is the tourist bit, where Siracusani only go for the passeggiata and to church. Otherwise you will find very little tourism (apart from up at the Greek theatre complex). Its divided into 4 parts, Id stick to the downtown part - the Umbertide, Corso Gelone, Borgata area - otherwise you will feel a bit out in the sticks - dont go out to Mazzarona - you will really need a car.
The tourist season is from March to December, but out of Ortigia you wont have trouble finding a rental - at least on a transitorio contract. look on subito.it for affitti in Siracusa and see what the prices are like -
Old Jun 6th 2015, 4:01 pm
Banned

extremeld is an unknown quantity at this point

Populations

Catania 300,000
Siracusa 120,000
Acireale 50,000 (If you prefer a smaller city, 10km north of Catania)
Old Jun 6th 2015, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably there are 700,000 residents in Catania not paying their taxes.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

This has got to be one fake post. Why
Old Jun 6th 2015, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

Strange post. I would hate to think that the thread could be anything else than genuine.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: Single mother- is it safe relocating to Catania?

P
Old Jun 7th 2015, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I was just wondering why the big difference in population of Catania given by Modicasa and Extremeld.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Catania is like London - there's the central bit which is the smaller figure and then Greater Catania -with Misterbianco, Paterno, Sant'Anastasia, etc which take it to the larger one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.