Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Sicily - hire a car or not?

Sicily - hire a car or not?

Old Oct 15th 2019, 7:39 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sicily - hire a car or not?

Ciao ragazzi

We will be in Sicily early next June for 5 days based in Palermo, we would like to see and do as much as we can in those few days, we are happy to walk miles a day. Would you advise hiring a car from the airport or use public transport. Is driving in and around Palermo practical or is public transport a better option for getting around. Also anyone know any decent, cheapish/mid range hotels with parking facilities in Palermo?
Old Oct 15th 2019, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sicily - hire a car or not?

I found the train from the airport to the city to be perfectly fine and pretty cheap. Some locals expressed concern about relying on the train and recommended various coach companies or even taxis, so there are plenty of options.
Personally, I wouldn't want to drive into central Palermo, the driving is very different from the UK and the traffic is pretty shocking. We used buses to get into town from our hotel in the Favorita district and they were fine, albeit slowed down by the heavy traffic. We were even able to get out to the beautiful beaches at Mondello on the buses, although again few of you sharing a taxi wouldn't be too expensive.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

It depends what you plan to do. If you ar doing Palermo, Monreale and BAgheria with a day thrown in in Cefalu you dont need a car. YOu should avoid driving in Palermo anyway as its no fun. If you are planning to go out into the middle of nowhere, relying on public transport, then you will have problems. A hire car with comprehensive insurance etc etc will cost the same hiring a car and driver for a couple of days to go to more inaccessible places.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 4:05 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks chaps, great advice, we'll bin the car idea!
Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:37 pm
Banned

AlexBrazillon is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget about prices on petrol!
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Jolly Joe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I decided not to hire a car. I intend to use my house in Mineo Sicily to over winter from the UK.
In my case paying effectively double with the time I am absent. I may be alarmist here and I have not hired a car but with the high deposit I worry about taking a scratched car out and then losing my deposit. Its been done in the UK so why not Sicily.
The same goes for scooters. Ebikes are an idea but will not get me to Catania and back.
The buses are your best bet. I can get one to Catania Aeroporte which is a jumping off point.
I managed to visit Palermo before the lockdown. I think it worth booking a couple of nights in a hostel if you do a long trip as you may miss the return bus.