Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Sending gifts from the UK to Italy - customs, etc

Sending gifts from the UK to Italy - customs, etc

Old Feb 1st 2022, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Unhappy Sending gifts from the UK to Italy - customs, etc

I thought someone might be interested in this, especially the comments

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...box=1643622216
Old Feb 1st 2022, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending gifts from the UK to Italy - customs, etc

Thanks for sharing. It is an interesting article. And the comments are also interesting.

I see there's a few comments along the lines that we (expats) are whining pro-EU remainers, but the point is that this is hurting British businesses. I think (from reading the comments) that many people have just asked everyone to stop sending stuff. We have. Unfortunately my brother in law sent us gifts and a card at the beginning of December and they arrived last week with a customs fee to pay -despite the royal mail form marked gift, and the value of the gifts being maybe 25-30 euros. It gets to the point where you wish people wouldn't bother.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

I got a Xmas card from friends in the UK on Monday last, with a customs declaration. A friend in Sweden had to pay 3 euros to receive a Xmas card from the UK. They're just making it up as they go along.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

I posted 2 birthday dards at the beginning of December for grandkids January b'days. One arrived after 5 weeks and no sign of the other so I have to suspect that the problem lies in the UK.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute

Completely random as regards customs.
I ordered two pairs of reading glasses from China, costing less than 5 euros, and had to pay 2 euros in customs charges.
Parcel of foodstuffs from UK costing over 40 euros came through with nothing to pay.
Old Feb 3rd 2022, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Accetturese
Completely random as regards customs.
I ordered two pairs of reading glasses from China, costing less than 5 euros, and had to pay 2 euros in customs charges.
Parcel of foodstuffs from UK costing over 40 euros came through with nothing to pay.
Could that be because the company has already added the cost of customs to your order?
I used to online shop with BCS but their outlet now in Netherlands (I think) has a limited supply of items and upped the prices.
Old Feb 4th 2022, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

I imported a box of inherited stuff from the UK, value 400 euros. Dogana 260 euros. Plus IVA.
Old Feb 13th 2022, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Last week a small parce larived here, marked as gift. Posted 19th November Royal mail tracked . Cleared customs i thought then Postman required 11€ . No receipt or proof of payment given .
the previous week a letter arrived which took 22 days, also tracked express delivery. No payment required
Old Feb 14th 2022, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Posted a Xmas card to UK on 2nd December, arrived yesterday - 12 Feb. Which fortunately was the receivers birthday. More Royal Mail cock up than anything else it seems.
Old Feb 14th 2022, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

You were lucky Modicasa. Royal Mail say the Italian postal system is in chaos. Their advice is not to post anything!
Important Updates
Italy Customs delays
We have been advised by Poste Italiane that severe delays are still being experienced in processing postal items due to serious IT problems in Italian customs. This is still affecting all postal shipments from outside the EU. Although we are continuing to process and despatch items to Italy at the moment, due to these technical issues being experienced once they arrive they currently face delays of at least several weeks before being processed by customs and delivered by Poste Italiane. We are in constant dialogue with Poste Italiane but they have so far been unable to give us a date when these issues will be resolved. These issues are affecting all Royal Mail international parcel services. Therefore, as of 22nd December, we are changing our advice to strongly recommend you do not post items to Italy until Poste Italiane have made substantial progress in clearing the backlog. We currently anticipate that will be early in the New Year. They have assured us that they have a plan in place, we will be monitoring it very closely, and will update further when we are comfortable that your items will be processed and delivered within normal timescales.