Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Self-translation of important document, layout?

Self-translation of important document, layout?

Old Jun 8th 2016, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all
Default Self-translation of important document, layout?

Hi, I need to translate a Certificate of Non Impediment, pretty simple and would like to translate it myself if possible, I did it for a vehicle registration certificate a long time ago and it was fine, I just translated it myself then went to the local courthouse and had it stamped, but I do remember it was a bit of a hassle to follow the format and layout of the document, so I just wondered if there's a required layout when translating these official documents or if the substance (text) are more important than the style/appearance.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self-translation of important document, layout?

If its a traduzione giurata then you cant do it yourself, or at least you cant swear it yourself. The layout should be as near as possible to the original.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

For the vehicle registration certificate I did it myself then went to the Italian court to have it sworn, I think that's what the stamps were for.

In case would not something like this be enough?
I, full name, hereby certify that I translated the attached document from English into Italian and that to the best of my ability it is a true and correct translation. I further certify that I am competent in both Italian and English to render and certify such translation.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

The whole point of a traduzione giurata is that it is done by a third independent party. The court should never have accepted a translation done by yourself. It is null.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

I never mentioned "traduzione giurata" in the first place so that vehicle registration certificate maybe didn't need a traduzione giurata, in any case I think it's all a bit unclear, my only doubt it's the level of independence of the translator and the layout, but I think I will manage, somehow

L’asseverazione (giuramento della traduzione di un documento) viene richiesta in tutti i casi in cui è necessaria una attestazione ufficiale da parte del traduttore circa la corrispondenza del testo tradotto a quanto presente nel testo originale. Il traduttore si assume la responsabilita' di quanto tradotto firmando un verbale di giuramento.

Il traduttore, che può essere sia persona iscritta agli albi del Tribunale e della Camera di commercio che persona non iscritta, ma diversa dall'interessato e che non sia ne parente ne affine dello stesso, deve presentarsi personalmente allo sportello dell’ufficio con un valido documento di identificazione.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 7:34 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ameliapond
I never mentioned "traduzione giurata" in the first place so that vehicle registration certificate maybe didn't need a traduzione giurata, in any case I think it's all a bit unclear, my only doubt it's the level of independence of the translator and the layout, but I think I will manage, somehow

L’asseverazione (giuramento della traduzione di un documento) viene richiesta in tutti i casi in cui è necessaria una attestazione ufficiale da parte del traduttore circa la corrispondenza del testo tradotto a quanto presente nel testo originale. Il traduttore si assume la responsabilita' di quanto tradotto firmando un verbale di giuramento.

Il traduttore, che può essere sia persona iscritta agli albi del Tribunale e della Camera di commercio che persona non iscritta, ma diversa dall'interessato e che non sia ne parente ne affine dello stesso, deve presentarsi personalmente allo sportello dell’ufficio con un valido documento di identificazione.

You can't do it. The instructions you've posted are clear about that. Quote : 'diverse dall'interessato' the 'interessato' is you!

If you need an honest price wise translator, I can give you the name of one.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

I'm about to get our marriage certificate translated - if you have an Italian friend, see if they'll take your translation to the courthouse to get it declared. As your text suggests, they don't need to be an official translator but they could always tidy up your translation (should it need it of course!) and then vouch for it at the court.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just do away with the uncertainty and have it done professionally by an Italian Consulate? You only need to do it once.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

I don't believe the consulate (presume you mean UK consulate in Italy?) offer such a service, though they will provide contact information of professional translators who will, for a fee, take the translated document to the court and have it sworn for you.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
I don't believe the consulate (presume you mean UK consulate in Italy?) offer such a service, though they will provide contact information of professional translators who will, for a fee, take the translated document to the court and have it sworn for you.
No- the Italian Consulate offices in UK will have your docs translated for you, whether they send them somewhere or not I don't remember but it was a speedy process.
We had ours done here-Address: 4 Mortimer St, Birkenhead CH41 5EU
Phone:0151 666 2886
Old Jul 24th 2016, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

A marriage certificate can be translated simply with a traduzione giurata - a 3rd person who swears to it being an accurate translation at the Justice of the Peace's office at the tribunale. You will need marchi di bollo and the requisite form. You cant do it yourself. (Well cyou can but someone else has to swear it) However, if you need it for a formal purpose you will need a legalised copy from milton Keynes withthe postille. and the postille also has to be translatd.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clearly a lot of people here have lost the can do attitude. Like I did it myself for the vehicle registration certificate, I did this too myself, even if I'm involved party, no problem whatsoever as you swear to the best of your knowledge that what you translate is true and the court is satisfied with that, see my previous link/s. I only had to provide the stamps, as you do.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 6:59 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ameliapond
Clearly a lot of people here have lost the can do attitude. Like I did it myself for the vehicle registration certificate, I did this too myself, even if I'm involved party, no problem whatsoever as you swear to the best of your knowledge that what you translate is true and the court is satisfied with that, see my previous link/s. I only had to provide the stamps, as you do.
Rather harsh! I don't see it as people having lost the can do attitude, but rather, they prefer to do things legally. As per your link,you cannot legally self translate. Will the authorities check? I doubt it, but they could. What then?
Old Jul 25th 2016, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

If I tried to certify a document that regarded myself I would get thrown out of the albo and the JP would refuse point blank. The Can do question is can I break the law and get away with it? Thats all. You shouldnt sneer at people who choose not to do so.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ultimately, if you don't comply with the law, you run the risk of the document being invalid (not difficult for a lawyer to pick up on you translating your own document is it?) with any potential repercussions as a result of its invalidity.

Up to you I would say but "phoning a friend" seems the simplest solution, or asking the consulate as Pica helpfully suggests above.

Modicasa - got the apostille affixed to the certificate a couple of weeks ago (turned around quite quickly despite the office warning that they were "unusually busy" - wonder why!) and it's written in a few languages but, irritatingly, not in Italian, despite the fact that I think you have to specify the place of use when making an application for legalisation. Ho hum!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.