Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Self Employed British Writer Wanting To Relocate To Italy

Self Employed British Writer Wanting To Relocate To Italy

Old Nov 3rd 2019, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self Employed British Writer Wanting To Relocate To Italy

Originally Posted by Teree
​After the initial three months in Italy as a British Citizen, when I apply for residence in order to stay long term. Does this mean that I am classed as a permanent resident? As I would like to reside in Italy long term yet still pay my taxes in the UK, due to my contract work being based there as I work remotely.

Is that possible?
Not if you are in Italy 183 days or more a year (Jan-Dec in Italy)
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Teree is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Not if you are in Italy 183 days or more a year (Jan-Dec in Italy)
Okay. Thank you.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 9:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teree
London is changing so rapidly in my opinion for the worse and I wish to relocate now, whilst my son is still very young in order to create a beautiful life for he avd I. Yet I realistic that Italy will bring a new set of challenges. But they will be no where close to the environment of London.
I don't blame you for not wanting to bring a child up in London. We live an hour west of London and our children have the best life here, I know London works for many families but it wouldn't suit mine.

Anyway, I'm sure you've already got the legal side of things sorted, but just in case, don't forget you'll need written permission to remove your son from UK jurisdiction, so if you don't have it already that's something else to add to the to do list.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I don't blame you for not wanting to bring a child up in London. We live an hour west of London and our children have the best life here, I know London works for many families but it wouldn't suit mine.

Anyway, I'm sure you've already got the legal side of things sorted, but just in case, don't forget you'll need written permission to remove your son from UK jurisdiction, so if you don't have it already that's something else to add to the to do list.
All sorted. As I conceived my son via anonymous donor.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

You have received good advice regarding renting and buying.

My advice to you is to get proper advice from an accountancy company that deals with tax both in the UK and Italy. As far as I know you will be liable for tax in Italy on any earnings abroad, plus you will pay tax on property and tax on all your bank accounts.. My friend, resident here, had a company registered in Wales and she was paying tax in both countries( a lot here).

If I were you, I would remain a resident in the UK for tax purposes and live here for whatever time you are allowed. There is no amount you can earn before tax like in the UK which is around 10K.

Secondly, have you decided if your child will go to an Italian nursery? Check the quality of nurseries and schools where you will live. An Italian friend took her child from the state pre-school in Rome as the teacher was always absent. She chose a private one at a great sacrifice financially to the family.

PM me if you want info on an int. accountancy company. I use them for years and they are good.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Caz15
Thank you for that, my income is literally pin money really, amounting to about €5000 pa, so it would seem best not to work at all and retire. Does that mean pensions also get taxed as income in Italy?
Essentially, you pay your tax where you live. I'm a freelancer living in Italy with clients across Europe but I pay my tax bill in Italy.

There is an exemption in Italy (if there's one thing I've learned whilst living here it's that there's an exemption to every rule) called "prestazioni occasionali". Others will know more about this but I believe it gives you a tax-free earnings limit for "occasional services" of up to €5,000pa. I'm not familiar with the ins & outs of this scheme but it sounds like you might qualify for it. Unless I'm mistaken (and I may be), I think students sometimes take advantage of this to earn some pin money whilst studying, for example.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

I agree. I was born and raised in London. But never envisaged raising my family here. Even more so now as it changing in my opinion for the worst.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

I have been contacting landlords to arrange viewing appointments for when we travel to Italy next month.

One landlord responded stating his property is available for long term contract 3+2. Could someone advise me on the meaning please?
Old Nov 9th 2019, 8:43 am
Architect

Conor_0 is an unknown quantity at this point

3+2 rental contract means it lasts for MINIMUM of 3 years after which it may be renewed for periods of 2 years
Old Nov 9th 2019, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Conor_0
3+2 rental contract means it lasts for MINIMUM of 3 years after which it may be renewed for periods of 2 years
Brilliant. Thank you.
Old Nov 10th 2019, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Would a shorter initial rental contract not be a more wise consideration for you..? Say 6 months to a year in the first instance. I only suggest this in case you take on a longer contract for 3 years and decide after a short period that you don't really like it that much and want to come home or go elsewhere. You'll be stuck with having to make the rental payments until the contract finishes. It's just a thought and I don't want to throw a spanner into the works....

Last edited by Jake.White; Nov 10th 2019 at 7:28 am.
Old Nov 10th 2019, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Jake makes a good point. A property that seems comfortable in December might turn into an oven in July and August. Neighbours and landlords can be just as troublesome in Italy as the UK.
Old Nov 10th 2019, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you do need to look if the shutters are good for summer, is there shade and mozzie nets. But as you have 3 months in the A&B I'm sure you will have time to check this all out before signing up to anything longterm
Old Nov 10th 2019, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jake.White
Would a shorter initial rental contract not be a more wise consideration for you..? Say 6 months to a year in the first instance. I only suggest this in case you take on a longer contract for 3 years and decide after a short period that you don't really like it that much and want to come home or go elsewhere. You'll be stuck with having to make the rental payments until the contract finishes. It's just a thought and I don't want to throw a spanner into the works....
At this point no one could throw a spanner in the works. As it’s set in stone that I am relocating, couldn’t imagine wanting to return to the UK on a long term basis.

I would prefer to choose to have a long term contract due to having a young baby and wanting to have a sustainable foundation prior to purchasing a home.

I would choose a long term contract and then use Airbnb to travel to different parts of Italy in order to gain a sense of where to purchase within the coming years.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

I may be wrong so I'm happy to be corrected but I think that with the standard 3+2 or 4+4 contracts the renewal is generally in the tenant's favour - i.e. if you've abided by the other terms of your contract, you have the right to renew.

Personally, I have a 4+4 contract and it has a break clause of something like 6 months - i.e. that's the notice I'd have to give/the amount of rent I'd be liable for if I moved out during that time, although the landlord assured me he'd not hold me to it if he could find another tenant in that time (we'll see if that proves to be true!). I don't know if that's a standard clause or if it's specific to my contract but just thought I'd point it out. Being a renter is definitely better in Italy, I'd say, because you have a lot more rights than in the UK and it's much easier to make a house a home even when you don't own it. You can also have a decent amount of stability, which is particularly important when you have children and want them to have some stability in their lives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.