Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Self Employed British Writer Wanting To Relocate To Italy

Self Employed British Writer Wanting To Relocate To Italy

Old Oct 21st 2019, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Teree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Self Employed British Writer Wanting To Relocate To Italy

What are the reasons that property is so cheap in Italy? And extremely cheap in certain regions?
Old Oct 21st 2019, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Further south, cheaper, more poverty and depletion of population after the war. Abruzzo is the size of Yorkshire with only a quarter of the population. There are a lot of empty properties...
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teree
What are the reasons that property is so cheap in Italy? And extremely cheap in certain regions?
In Umbria young people usually leave the region to find work. In my view it is hard to understand why prices are so high.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 9:08 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap properties where I am usually need a lot of work. A lot. The price of just fixing the roof could be higher than the price of the house and so they are left to rot.

Old Oct 22nd 2019, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Further south, cheaper, more poverty and depletion of population after the war. Abruzzo is the size of Yorkshire with only a quarter of the population. There are a lot of empty properties...

Ditto that for Puglia. Empty properties everywhere.

Teree : if you have to install a kitchen in whatever rental you end up with, why not consider installing it yourself.. it's not that hard if you have a decent basic toolbox and a bit of common sense knowhow.. Might save you a fair bit of cash...
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jake.White
Ditto that for Puglia. Empty properties everywhere.

Teree : if you have to install a kitchen in whatever rental you end up with, why not consider installing it yourself.. it's not that hard if you have a decent basic toolbox and a bit of common sense knowhow.. Might save you a fair bit of cash...
After reading through the messages to my questions and reflecting the thought crossed my mind. Especially as it would be a Ikea kitchen that I would primarily consider purchasing. Ikea are so user friendly.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

I am planning to travel at the end of next month to Italy for three months. And stay at an Airbnb. And explore to get a feel for different towns that resonate.

I will look at the rental properties whilst there via arranging viewings. I will have enough money to secure a rental.

With the long term goal of saving to purchase a home whilst renting.

Ideally I do not wish to return to the UK. I own very little possessions, so moving is no problem.

London is changing so rapidly in my opinion for the worse and I wish to relocate now, whilst my son is still very young in order to create a beautiful life for he avd I. Yet I realistic that Italy will bring a new set of challenges. But they will be no where close to the environment of London.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

Best of luck.
"Lorna at Vicenza", our moderator, has much experience of schooling her children in Italy and might be a useful sounding board.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 12:45 am
Architect

Conor_0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of Luck, sound exciting. Just remember that Italians are spoilt with a great climate, brilliant food and friendly people, it is sooo diverse and all the regions are interesting, in the end I think it will be difficult to decide where to live as it is all so attractive.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Conor_0
Best of Luck, sound exciting. Just remember that Italians are spoilt with a great climate, brilliant food and friendly people, it is sooo diverse and all the regions are interesting, in the end I think it will be difficult to decide where to live as it is all so attractive.

Thank you Conor_0 even during the past few weeks that I have been researching the different regions there are so very many to choose from. As someone previous advised best to travel and experience the different locations in person, and see which resonate.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Caz15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies if this has been covered before, if you have a registered UK company - in my case due to my clients being all over Europe (I currently live in Cyprus) - and taxes are paid in the UK, if I were to live in Sicily, do I have to declare and pay tax on all income in Italy as well as in the UK?
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and no! You likely have to fill in your tax form if you get residency in Italy. If resident for tax purposes, then you could be liable for tax there. There is a double taxation agreement you can read here when wanting to sleep! So at worst you may pay the difference due to no allowance and different rates between the two.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Caz15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for that, my income is literally pin money really, amounting to about €5000 pa, so it would seem best not to work at all and retire. Does that mean pensions also get taxed as income in Italy?
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've never been able to decide what the heck it is saying in the DTA in respect of private pensions and/or state pension. Or any other income for that matter. Only thing I did find out was certain private pensions for government ex-workers were only taxed in the state they were earned.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

​After the initial three months in Italy as a British Citizen, when I apply for residence in order to stay long term. Does this mean that I am classed as a permanent resident? As I would like to reside in Italy long term yet still pay my taxes in the UK, due to my contract work being based there as I work remotely.

Is that possible?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.