Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Self Employed British Writer Wanting To Relocate To Italy

Self Employed British Writer Wanting To Relocate To Italy

Old Oct 18th 2019, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self Employed British Writer Wanting To Relocate To Italy

When I moved from Syracuse to Palermo I still had to pay for private medical insurance (about €300) for 1 year despite being self-employed with a VAT number so this does depend on where you live. In Syracuse my VAT number was sufficient.
30% INPS and then about 10% tax + local taxes of about 3% + obligatory accountant fees with tax from the first Euro earned means that self-employed people on low incomes are probably better off in the UK. It gets a lot worse if you are not on the regime forfettario,
I have always rented in Sicily and there have never been any problems about finding long-term rentals . I would not buy here (i.e in southern Italy which is a different world to the North) unless I saw tangible signs that the situation is improving or at least changing - almost nothing has changed in 15 years and house prices seem to have gone steadily downwards since 2005 except perhaps for the very top end of the market
Old Oct 18th 2019, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to Geroges post on forfettario. The fixed deductions (in his case 22%) are not across the board. It depends on your job. There is a coefficient which your particular job will have an means how much you can deduct. Some jobs get a coefficient of 60% - meaning 40% deductions, other 92% meaning only 8%. You need to do your calculations very carefully before opting for one or the other.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Teree is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nicktonight
When I moved from Syracuse to Palermo I still had to pay for private medical insurance (about €300) for 1 year despite being self-employed with a VAT number so this does depend on where you live. In Syracuse my VAT number was sufficient.
30% INPS and then about 10% tax + local taxes of about 3% + obligatory accountant fees with tax from the first Euro earned means that self-employed people on low incomes are probably better off in the UK. It gets a lot worse if you are not on the regime forfettario,
I have always rented in Sicily and there have never been any problems about finding long-term rentals . I would not buy here (i.e in southern Italy which is a different world to the North) unless I saw tangible signs that the situation is improving or at least changing - almost nothing has changed in 15 years and house prices seem to have gone steadily downwards since 2005 except perhaps for the very top end of the market
nicktonight I have being browsing the recommended websites for rentals and have seen plenty available. I will be renting an apartment via Airbnb when I travel next month. Is long term rental mainly by word of mouth? I will be staying in Tuscany.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

No long-term rental is not at all by word of mouth at least outside Milan and Rome - You need to understand the language a bit i.e. "contratto 4 x 4" means a long term contract! there are other types of long term contract. I'm not an expert on Tuscany but I just had a look on www.immobiliare.it and for the region around Florence there are 87 pages of properties to rent long-term. You may have to visit a lot of properties and take your time as lots of rentals are not up to scratch and as I have said before in Sicily at least they are empty sometimes without a proper kitchen. It has always taken me several weeks/months to find places I liked. You do need to move around and first define where you want to live before looking at adverts. If you see a place you like you my even see a sign or you can ask in a local bar . Also being English is an advantage as we have a good reputation for not causing trouble.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

No long-term rental is not at all by word of mouth at least outside Milan and Rome - You need to understand the language a bit i.e. "contratto 4 x 4" means a long term contract! there are other types of long term contract. I'm not an expert on Tuscany but I just had a look on www.immobiliare.it and for the region around Florence there are 87 pages of properties to rent long-term. You may have to visit a lot of properties and take your time as lots of rentals are not up to scratch and as I have said before in Sicily at least they are empty sometimes without a proper kitchen. It has always taken me several weeks/months to find places I liked. You do need to move around and first define where you want to live before looking at adverts. If you see a place you like you my even see a sign or you can ask in a local bar . Also being English is an advantage as we have a good reputation for not causing trouble.

Brilliant. Thank you
Old Oct 20th 2019, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute

not up to scratch and as I have said before in Sicily at least they are empty sometimes without a proper kitchen. It has always taken me several weeks/months to find places I liked.
Yes, I have come across this a few times. Quite often in Italy people that rent put their own kitchen in and take it with them when they move on.
Old Oct 20th 2019, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Accetturese
Yes, I have come across this a few times. Quite often in Italy people that rent put their own kitchen in and take it with them when they move on.
I love this concept. Any excuse for me to pop into Ikea and purchase kitchen cabinets.
Old Oct 20th 2019, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

PS For long-term renting - An Italian family renting a flat would check out absolutely every detail and complain about almost everything before and after moving into a new place and get the landlord to make a lot of changes including redecorating. It is very hard for non-Italians to be so demanding not least because of the language difficulties - So in a place where gas and electricity certificates are not existent (i.e. Southern Italy but perhaps Tuscany too) it is vital to make sure that the boiler/water heaters and A/C units do really work and that there are active plugs in every room. Noise from cars and neighbours is a big problem in towns as night-life here goes on all night and windows are left open in summer. Check how strong the mobile phone signal is too when you visit and the networks available - If it is good if you don't need a telephone line as 4G Internet is very cheap and works well. In southern Italy the telephone lines have often been mixed with the electricity cabling and telephone companies refuse to put the line back in service. Make sure you check how many months notice you have to give before you leave - it can be 6 months. Basically you have to be a lot more careful than in the UK
Old Oct 20th 2019, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teree

I love this concept. Any excuse for me to pop into Ikea and purchase kitchen cabinets.
It's really hard to see how people manage with this (I realise it's fairly normal for italians). And it's not really the kitchen cabinets that are the issue... It's more the completely empty room with no sink, cooker, water and gas pipes etc...just bare walls...I can only think that people don't move in until at least a few weeks after the rental starts
Old Oct 20th 2019, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by C.2s
It's really hard to see how people manage with this (I realise it's fairly normal for italians). And it's not really the kitchen cabinets that are the issue... It's more the completely empty room with no sink, cooker, water and gas pipes etc...just bare walls...I can only think that people don't move in until at least a few weeks after the rental starts
Oh it is a complete blank canvas? Thank you for mentioning that, imperative to put outside extra budget for kitchen as well as to have it fitted.

Old Oct 21st 2019, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen a place yet (apart from build/rebuild) without water pipes and if no gas then they have used lpg bottles. But yes, no sink I've seen and thet is difficult...
Old Oct 21st 2019, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
I've never seen a place yet (apart from build/rebuild) without water pipes and if no gas then they have used lpg bottles. But yes, no sink I've seen and thet is difficult...
Thank you Georgieborn. That’s good to know as I can budget for a fitted kitchen. But having to install water pipes etc. Is potentially costly.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Sometimes the old tenants leave with their water heater so you may have to fit water and gas pipes to your new sink and cooker! My first long-term rental was all fitted out with everything including A/C and central heating so you don't always have to do everything, Certainly in Southern Italy it is easy to find giant flats, filled with light, decently high ceilings and fantastic views for very cheap prices - ideal for home workers - so the extra €2000-4000 you need to fit them out from scratch are worth it in the long run and you can take everything with you when you go or buy somewhere. I don't know if you have seen the recent worldwide polls but Italy is considered to be one of the very worst countries worldwide for expats, just slightly better than Nigeria - I would keep a non-resident status for as long as possible until I was sure of all the financial repercussions of living here but I suppose new Brexit legislation may make that impossible. Being a non-resident is not a problem for finding a long-term rental as landlords feel safer with non-residents as they are much easier to evict.
PS fitting a new flexible water pipe is not very expensive

Last edited by nicktonight; Oct 21st 2019 at 9:38 am.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Sometimes the old tenants leave with their water heater so you may have to fit water and gas pipes to your new sink and cooker! My first long-term rental was all fitted out with everything including A/C and central heating so you don't always have to do everything, Certainly in Southern Italy it is easy to find giant flats, filled with light, decently high ceilings and fantastic views for very cheap prices - ideal for home workers - so the extra €2000-4000 you need to fit them out from scratch are worth it in the long run and you can take everything with you when you go or buy somewhere. I don't know if you have seen the recent worldwide polls but Italy is considered to be one of the very worst countries worldwide for expats, just slightly better than Nigeria - I would keep a non-resident status for as long as possible until I was sure of all the financial repercussions of living here but I suppose new Brexit legislation may make that impossible. Being a non-resident is not a problem for finding a long-term rental as landlords feel safer with non-residents as they are much easier to evict.
PS fitting a new flexible water pipe is not very expensive
Sorry in advance if this question is deemed as naive. Applying for residency will still enable me to my British citizenship, and simply entitled me to reside on a long term basis in Italy? Is this correct?
Old Oct 21st 2019, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

It will have no effect on your British citizenship but will allow you to obtain Italian medical cover and buy a car here. You will then have to declare all your financial income and assets in Italy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.