Reload this Page >

Scooter/moped insurance

Scooter/moped insurance

Old May 12th 2009, 8:22 am
Just Joined

jakoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scooter/moped insurance

Hi,

I was just wondering if someone could explain to me the process of getting insurance for a motorino. I am not an Italian resident but come to Italy every year and wanted to purchase a motorino but I am having problems getting insurance. I have lots of relatives in Italy, is it possible to get the insurance in their name and do it that way?

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks
Old May 12th 2009, 9:39 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future
Default Re: Scooter/moped insurance

Jakoman,
I see this is your first post so a big welcome to you. Someone will be along to give you advice, however, I don't think you need to be a resident for a motorino, only for a car, toddle down the local insurance place with a relative and they should be able to either insure you or advise you, or have you tried this and are now having problems?
Good luck - Kenny
Old May 12th 2009, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much for the welcome it is really interesting and helpful looking at all the posts, a truly great site.

I love italy but the legal complications really annoy me sometimes. anyway back to the motorino.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has done this before and if so, how they went about it.

Any 'consigli' will be much appreciated.
Old May 12th 2009, 10:14 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Hi,
Do a search in this forum on 'scooter insurance', there are a couple of threads and there may be something useful in them
kenny
Old May 12th 2009, 12:25 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Jakoman,

Welcome to the forum.

Re - scooters, This is what I understood.
YES you do need residency to buy a scooter as they have to be "immatricolata".

There could be a way to get round this and that is not buying anything that goes over 50cc.
Don't know how long you have been here and I don't know anything about motorbikes - scooters etc. but this would be the type of older motorino with the tiny little number plates. Like a Piaggio Ciao.

You could always give a family member the cash to buy and insure it and you just drive it.

Many Italian insurance policies are for the machine and not the driver. This means that damage to another car would be covered but damage to your own scooter would not.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

thats very helpful, thank you.

Just one other question. Is a full UK driving licence enough to drive a scooter? I am planning to get a 50cc.
Old May 13th 2009, 6:55 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Hi,
Assuming you don't have Cat A (bike) then your UK licence is a provisional bike licence up to a certain cc, I think it may be 250cc but not sure now, long time since I got cat A. Have a look on the back of your licence and there may be a picture of a bike.
Also visit www.dvla.gov.uk where the entitlements are described in full anyway.
Of course Italy may have different rules altogether
regards Kenny
Old May 13th 2009, 7:06 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jakoman
thats very helpful, thank you.

Just one other question. Is a full UK driving licence enough to drive a scooter? I am planning to get a 50cc.
Does your UK license let you drive a scooter in the UK ?
Old May 13th 2009, 7:08 am

And have you got one of the new European style license cards?

Italy has changed it rules about bike and scooter driving but it still says that the European model issued by a EU member state has the same equivalent to an Italian license.
Old May 13th 2009, 8:53 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Lorna,
A full car licence in UK used to act as a provisional for a bike up to either 50 or 250cc (can't remember which). I never ever fathomed out how it relates apart from the road sense bit, wobbling about on two wheels with no formal instruction was a disaster for many. Now the UK has the various tests before getting out on the road. I still don't know if the provisional rule still applies, I suspect not as the various tests have to be passed before one is let loose to wobble and fall off at will.
Funny story - I was approaching traffic lights behind four military police motorcyclists, three of them learners. All came to a stop and one forgot to put the feet down, she fell over along with the bike. Lights changed other three road off leaving her with the bike. She had not been shown how to pick it up again so was basically stuck. I helped in the end but it was not without chuckling to myself, remembering I skidded into a garage door when I was a bike learner. Needless to say I do not ride two wheels over here.
have a good day off to UK tomorrow again,
regards Kenny
Old May 13th 2009, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

that is a funny story. lol.

I don't have a european one, I just have a standard UK driving licence and nothing else. I am still not sure if this is enough or not, I know in the UK it isn't.
Old May 14th 2009, 1:35 pm

This what Italy says about it ........... (for people who already have a car driving license B category).

Chi ha conseguito la patente A o la B prima dell'1 gennaio del 1986 può guidare qualsiasi motociclo.

Chi ha conseguito la patente A o la B tra l'1/1/1986 e il 25/4/1988 può guidare qualsiasi motociclo ma solo in Italia, per la guida all'estero occorre un esame pratico alla Motorizzazione.

Chi ha conseguito la patente B dopo il 25/4/1988 può guidare motocicli fino a 125 cm3 e di potenza fino a 11 kw ma solo in Italia.

So you need to find something like that for an English license to see what you can drive and where.