Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Old Sep 16th 2010, 5:53 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Dottoressa Dina and Professoressa Patty ...........

Another one I loathe is "Ingeniere" How many flipping engineers does Italy have?

When I was at the liceo I told all the kids to just call me Lorna. I told them I was not their Prof and that I hated Signora as I was there as their language assistant and helpful friend and that Signora made me feel really old.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Doesn't everyone get to call themselves Dottore/Dottoressa if they've got a degree?
I went for a job interview once at a cultural association based around a historic villa near Milan. The job was in Bologna but for the second interview we had to go to the villa- I say we as she told me to bring my compagno too, we felt we were both being interviewed!- and I was introduced to everyone as "la Dottoressa R...". It felt very odd!
Incidentally I was offered the job because "lots of Americans with marketing experience have applied but the British are more cultured". Sadly as they were only offering 800 euros a month I had to decline!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 6:08 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - they do.

An Italian girl I used to know once got into an argument with a Brit girl when she tried to insist that her Italian degree was worth so much more than the British one because she got to call herself Dottoressa and could have business cards with that title on them. They both had language degrees.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry Lorna to read about this latest run-in - I really dont know what to think anymore - its just getting worse.
My son (12) came home annoyed because he cant see his best friend anymore at break times. They arent in the same class so this was the only time they can catch up. Apparantely its because in 1° media there are 2 new 'difficult' children - and so they have put one class on the ground floor and one on the first floor thereby splitting up the two 2° media classes .
I still couldnt understand why they cant meet up in the playground and he said "Mum - we can only go in the playground if the teachers let us - if not we have to stay in our class and that means I cant go down to the ground floor to see my mate " WTF
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

You can all now refer to me as Dottoressa then please!!

Patty, it was always like this at the Ele. Every lunch time was like 2.5hrs long and you have to eat your lunch in your 30min slot (cos the dinner ladies do have to clean up after your disgusting children don't you know!) and then if it wasn't the first two weeks in September or the First two weeks of May when it is deemed warm enough but not too hot to go outside the kids were made to go back to their class and sit in their seats and do something quiet for two hours! and then you (as a parent) are 'maleducata' if your kid cannot sit still for two hours. Julia can but H can't. You weren't even allowed to move to sit with someone else and the teachers chose who you sat next to....
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:50 pm

Don't worry Patty about us. It's a pain yes, but after today's run in with Monica I'm waiting to see what tomorrow will bring. I'm loud enough and dare I say it, savvy enough to answer every single one of them and try not to let them get the better of me .............. even if I might go home and shed a few tears of pure frustration, anger and disbelief afterwards - they will never ever see my tears. The headmaster is a little runt of a man. After listening to me for 2 days and knowing that I still haven't been given one direct answer OH is convinced that the head suffers from small man syndrome and is trying desperately to keep his head above mine. I'm not that tall but he is shorter than me so maybe he does have a complex or two.

Chloe was best friends for the 3 years of materna with one girl and they also visited and played and had 'tea' at each other's houses. In primary they were in different classes. I too thought that Chloe could catch up with Annachiara at play time but Chloe told me that each corner section of the very tiny courtyard is assigned to certain classes and she is not supposed to cross over into Annachiara's section. It makes even play time a whole controlled thing and no room to really move, play games, interact or even really stretch their legs.

However Patty - as far as I know - every child has a God given right to get out into the school yard and get some fresh air so if your son is being made to stay inside a classroom at break time if it's not pissing it down the check it out.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:52 pm

[QUOTE=indiebird;8853690]You can all now refer to me as Dottoressa then please!!
QUOTE]

You can sod off Tell that to Harry's teachers. When they are maestra and profs and they call you Signora you can say "veramente - sono Dottoressa !!!!! "

We love you really
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:53 pm

Oh bugger - I messed up the quotes - again. Too heavy handed with the mouse.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
You can sod off Tell that to Harry's teachers. When they are maestra and profs and they call you Signora you can say "veramente - sono Dottoressa !!!!! "

We love you really
See that was Karma you messing up the quotes Lorna... telling a Doctor to sod off!! I'm so going to do that though if I have another run-in and I need to pull rank!!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:09 pm

DO IT !!!!

By my reckoning a Dottoressa is SO much higher and more important than a simple prof or lowly maestra. Our kids school teachers do not have a Uni degree. They did an easy course to get into a lifetime state job.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Ok - which one of us is going to go for job of education minister
Maybe you Indie seeing as you ARE a dottoressa !!! (except you'd probably have to kiss berlusc's feet .....yukky)
Honestly though - take any person off the street - even the most chav and they'd do a better job than this lot. Its really disheartening and I'm wondering more and more every day what the bloody hell I'm doing here.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

Chloe was best friends for the 3 years of materna with one girl and they also visited and played and had 'tea' at each other's houses. In primary they were in different classes. I too thought that Chloe could catch up with Annachiara at play time but Chloe told me that each corner section of the very tiny courtyard is assigned to certain classes and she is not supposed to cross over into Annachiara's section. It makes even play time a whole controlled thing and no room to really move, play games, interact or even really stretch their legs.

However Patty - as far as I know - every child has a God given right to get out into the school yard and get some fresh air so if your son is being made to stay inside a classroom at break time if it's not pissing it down the check it out.

The playground thing is just unbelievable .
As for confronting them Lorna I just wish I had your guts but I'm useless at arguing and that - I just cannot do it. I go very bright red from my chest upwards and then I usually get tearful - and I HATE myself for it after. I know what I'd like to say but I just cant get it out.
(btw - i just tried to multi quote and I didnt manage - do you press the paper sign first and then the quote button ?)
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:28 pm

you press the paper sign thingy at every post you want to quote and answer to and then on the last one that you have pressed the paper sign on, you also have to press the normal quote button.

You should then see your usual window but full of what everybody else has said. You but in in the middle to answer each and every quote and then click on submit like you'd normally do.

I hope that makes a bit more sense.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Patty
Ok - which one of us is going to go for job of education minister
Maybe you Indie seeing as you ARE a dottoressa !!! (except you'd probably have to kiss berlusc's feet .....yukky)
Honestly though - take any person off the street - even the most chav and they'd do a better job than this lot. Its really disheartening and I'm wondering more and more every day what the bloody hell I'm doing here.
As long as it was only his feet I had to kiss and nothing else..... although I'm waaay too old for him!! ....what sort of pay off do I get when they chuck me out of office again??
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:02 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

As long as it was only his feet I had to kiss

I'm shocked Indie. This made me choke on me bit of cake I was eating, inhaled a crumb that went down the wrong way. Then, hot tea that was by the computer tipped into my lap from my coughing so much...Grrrr Doctoressa. I think I need one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.