Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 9:46 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

How come you are all asked to pay up front? I've never heard of any school doing that.

We pay whatever price gets decided depending on what school trip gets decided. It varies from year to year and we have only ever been asked for the money about 2 weeks before the trip.

I have friends with kids in 3 different towns and schools and they've never been asked to pay for something up front like that either. What happens if a trip gets cancelled ?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

it is something new this year. It is supposed to cover the €5 insurance change, cost of other activities like Judo or Schemo (sp??) when they get someone in from outside to come and run a course. It was €8 here or there and then the money for the trip but many parents felt it was unreasonable to keep asking for these bits of money and so this new system was brought in so it was upfront. Also if you wern't able to pay, then you could apply for assistance from the Commune (I think!!) whereas with these little amounts here and there were more difficult for parents in difficulties to find or to get assistence with...
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:35 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi indi. I wouldn't tell the teachers that you kids will be late back because you'll be sking. Maybe just tell them you'll be flying back later. And since when have meetings become obligatory? Lorna's right. They do narf waffle on!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 37100
Hi indi. I wouldn't tell the teachers that you kids will be late back because you'll be sking. Maybe just tell them you'll be flying back later. And since when have meetings become obligatory? Lorna's right. They do narf waffle on!
We wern't going to tell them anything.... is it socially acceptable to just turn up a coupla days late and then scrawl an illegible note in the diary do you think?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:49 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indiebird
We wern't going to tell them anything.... is it socially acceptable to just turn up a coupla days late and then scrawl an illegible note in the diary do you think?
Glass of wine with your lunch. No, it's not acceptable, but do you care?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glass of wine with your lunch. No, it's not acceptable, but do you care?
What glass of wine today?? No.... was saving myself for tonight... I don't really care tbh.... the English, rule-following part is saying that I should ask around and see what I should do but the more bloody minded is thinking of the countless people who seem to just take their kids out of school whilly-nilly and suffer no real consequences.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:26 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by indiebird
What glass of wine today?? No.... was saving myself for tonight... I don't really care tbh.... the English, rule-following part is saying that I should ask around and see what I should do but the more bloody minded is thinking of the countless people who seem to just take their kids out of school whilly-nilly and suffer no real consequences.
Go for the bloody minded. What can happen? Another nasty note?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:57 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Go for the bloody minded. What can happen? Another nasty note?

Do your kids have the little "justifications book".

Don't tell anybody anything. Send them in when you get back with the little book and where it says reaon for absence write "impegno di famiglia".
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey - I've been sat here reading and nodding ! Its all so true and so bloody disorganised Anyway - you've helped me come to a decision - next week its the dreaded parents meeting and choose the consiglio di classe - and I'm NOT going !! Thanks girls - I now realise that I'm wasting my time (precious time) being one of the few who goes to these things and like Lorna I dont know who the heck has put their name forward anyway. So I shall send OH - he wanted to live here so he can ruddy well go (sorry if I sound grumpy - just finished work and i need a holiday )
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and maybe its a piemonte thing Lorna - cos like Indie, we get told about strikes etc the day before sometimes. Makes me mad !!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't have one of those little books Lorna!! There is a big book on the recetion desk of the school if you need to bring child in late or take them off early. Just thought I'd scrawl sometihng in the diary....

Patty, glad we could be of help. What was the pointo of me going? A) I don't really care who the class rep is B) I don't understand half of whats being said and C) I don't really enjoy hearing the same thing being said 300 times.

ohhh does that sound a bit negative to you lot??!!
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:40 am

So, I took the plunge, moved to Italy three weeks ago and decided that both my son and I should be fully emerged in the culture....

He is six and started school 2 weeks ago. I was reassured then, by the Maestra, that they would fully support him and provide extra support with Italian lessons.

Two weeks on...he has had no Italian lessons, doesnt even know how to say 'I need the bathroom' or 'I'm not well', the basics that I assumed he would be taught.

He brings his work home everyday and when I ask him what he's written etc, he hasn't a clue. All he's doing is copying words down but he does not understand the meaning of what he is writing.

He's been complaining about other kids pushing and shoving him. I told him they were just play-fighting but yesterday, when I picked him up from school, the teacher told me he had been pushed into a puddle so they had had to change his clothes. No explanation as to why or how or even if he had got hurt. He told me later on that he had hit his head on the pavement!

I was appalled! No note, no accident report, nothing!
He is meant to have a diary but I havent seen it since the day I handed it in to the teacher!
He seems happy enough to go to school, although he is a bit subdued at times!

I was wondering if you could tell me how it works. Are they meant to allow kids to push and shove each other?
What happens when a kid gets hurt?
Can I ask for him to get extra support with his Italian?

Thanks
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
So, I took the plunge, moved to Italy three weeks ago and decided that both my son and I should be fully emerged in the culture....

He is six and started school 2 weeks ago. I was reassured then, by the Maestra, that they would fully support him and provide extra support with Italian lessons.

Two weeks on...he has had no Italian lessons, doesnt even know how to say 'I need the bathroom' or 'I'm not well', the basics that I assumed he would be taught.

He brings his work home everyday and when I ask him what he's written etc, he hasn't a clue. All he's doing is copying words down but he does not understand the meaning of what he is writing.

He's been complaining about other kids pushing and shoving him. I told him they were just play-fighting but yesterday, when I picked him up from school, the teacher told me he had been pushed into a puddle so they had had to change his clothes. No explanation as to why or how or even if he had got hurt. He told me later on that he had hit his head on the pavement!

I was appalled! No note, no accident report, nothing!
He is meant to have a diary but I havent seen it since the day I handed it in to the teacher!
He seems happy enough to go to school, although he is a bit subdued at times!

I was wondering if you could tell me how it works. Are they meant to allow kids to push and shove each other?
What happens when a kid gets hurt?
Can I ask for him to get extra support with his Italian?

Thanks

Oooops - I messed something up. This post was written by RUTH. Sorry Ruth.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Ruth2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol no problem Lorna. I should have checked this thread first too, was just afraid my post might have gotten lost in the middle of all the others
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Oooops - I messed something up. This post was written by RUTH. Sorry Ruth.

Hi Ruth - sorry that things are not working out as you hoped. It sounds like you and Indie might have something in common as her kids don't seem to be getting much support from their school.

When you say diary do you mean a diary/agenda or just a little notebook that is for home / school little communications?

Our school does not expect the kids to have a diary in the first year as they can't read and write anything in it. My daughter now in 4th year has one. She writes down what she has to do for homework in it.

If your son has a diary and isn't using it, it could quite likely just be under his desk in the classroom.

Shoving and pushing is not supposed to happen but of course it will sometimes. The kids in our school are all supposed to form orderly lines when moving about the school and walking out of school. There's always some brat that thinks it's funny to shove a bit though. Chloe has been shoved and pushed more than once but she's taller than the boys in her class now and they leave her alone.

I've never heard of any accident reports. Chloe once came home with scraped knees and hands after falling over in the crappy playground. The caretaker took her inside, wiped her wounds with disinfectant and put a plaster on her knee. I don't believe any report was made and if it were, I never got to see it. I don't know if they have to report or document more serious accidents. I presume so as the kids in school are all supposed to be covered by insurance.

Smells like lunch is about to burn. Back later .....................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.