Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:48 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Yes, the soap is given to the teachers at the start of the year. Ours are persistent with us, the parents, about getting it rather than the kids, so I think most people do bring it but there is no uniformity in size and type so they get big and small bottles. Esselunga was doing a twofer in September so I got those for them!!

I have noticed this too Indie. What is this all about?! In a country where the cold kills you and sweating makes you ill why the lack of basic hygiene?? Unbelievable!
I've noticed that they don't either and I've got into slight rows with oh's family who think I'm ott about cos I wash my hands when I get in after shopping and tell the family kids that they can't help me with cooking until they've washed their hands. And you know what they say. "Taci tu." Then variations of "you belong to an uncouthed population who don't have bidets".
Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:56 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
I've noticed that they don't either and I've got into slight rows with oh's family who think I'm ott about cos I wash my hands when I get in after shopping and tell the family kids that they can't help me with cooking until they've washed their hands. And you know what they say. "Taci tu." Then variations of "you belong to an uncouthed population who don't have bidets".
You should ask them if they remember to wash the s**t off their hands after using the bidet......! We won't even eat bar peanuts etc. unless there is a spoon. I actually cringe when I see kids parties with loads of crisps and popcorn - same in UK, but what can you do? I'm a bit funny that way anyway - I throw away jars of stuff if someone eats from it then puts the same spoon back in the jar! Yukky!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:09 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

You should ask them if they remember to wash the s**t off their hands after using the bidet......! We won't even eat bar peanuts etc. unless there is a spoon. I actually cringe when I see kids parties with loads of crisps and popcorn - same in UK, but what can you do? I'm a bit funny that way anyway - I throw away jars of stuff if someone eats from it then puts the same spoon back in the jar! Yukky!
That's a no, no in this household too as is drinking out of a bottle 'and putting it back in the fridge. I won't share a glass or 'taste' someone else's things either. And I don't like shaking hands with total strangers. When we lived in Trieste we used to pop over to Croatia a couple of times a week for meals and after a wrong turning looking for a loo, I'd only go to a place with a visible kitchen. I'm not as rigid here, but perhaps I should be? I know I might sound fanatic, but I'm not. To me, it's just basic hygiene.

P.S. As for peanuts? You might just as well drink water from the loo bowl.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:18 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is getting off topic, sorry, but one last one. I don't understand the kissing someone socially when they obviously have a streaming cold or a cold sore!!

My daughter also took a winx lipsalve into school last week. When she came home and told me all her friends had used it because "I couldn't stop them!" that went straight in the bin too!! She was very upset because it was winx but had been told what would happen before she took it in if she shared it!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Its just crazy - honestly I cant beleive how stupid these people are. I also had salmonella 2 years ago and it was the most horrid thing I have ever had the misfortune to have. What planet are these teachers on ? We have to buy soap and we even had to buy loo rolls last year. I wont say anymore cos its nearly dinner and I'll get so angry I'll lose my appetite
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:28 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is getting off topic, sorry, but one last one. I don't understand the kissing someone socially when they obviously have a streaming cold or a cold sore!!

My daughter also took a winx lipsalve into school last week. When she came home and told me all her friends had used it because "I couldn't stop them!" that went straight in the bin too!! She was very upset because it was winx but had been told what would happen before she took it in if she shared it!
I'm not surprised she couldn't stop them but it might teach her that favourite things are best left at home. Alex learnt that when he took in a new Gormiti ages ago. I told him not to, I told him the teachers didn't like kids taking things in from home. He said he only wanted to show it to his friends and then put it away. The big boys tried to take it off him. He didn't take anything again.

I don't even kiss or hug my own kids if I'm feeling lousy, full of cold or flu. I just blow them kisses instead.

Chloe and Alex are pretty peed off anyway as almost every child and teacher has had time off for cold, flu or coughs and they are still as strong as oxes and haven't missed a day so far.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I have noticed this too Indie. What is this all about?! In a country where the cold kills you and sweating makes you ill why the lack of basic hygiene?? Unbelievable!
Ah yes, one of life's little mysteries eh?? A bit like why you would rather park in the school bus stop and walk 2steps to the school gate but inconvenience everyone than park 10steps away in the school car park....

I did also wonder why 37100 didn't shake my hand when she met me

Last edited by indiebird; Nov 26th 2009 at 6:54 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Just asked ds and he has confirmed that there is no soap in the boys toilets at his new scuola media. what a surprise
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:26 pm
The Original Red Head!

Stephen got Campylobacter. It's not as common as Salmonella but just as nasty! I got Salmonella from eating olives from the bar in the hotel when we went to Morocco years ago. Thought they would be safe being in brine, but noooo! I'd love to go back but my OH was put off for life!!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:30 pm
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by Patty
Just asked ds and he has confirmed that there is no soap in the boys toilets at his new scuola media. what a surprise
What's interesting as well is that soap is the only thing, I believe, that washes away the H1N1 bugs. Alcohol and cleansers don't affect it, so you think they would be pushing handwashing. What is even more hypocritical is that we all got a leaflet about H1N1 at the start of the year and one of the ways to stop it spreading is regular hand washing, especially in kids who have a tendency to use the back of their hand as a hanky then touch everything and everyone! At one point there were fewer than 10 in Antonia's class out of 35 (they have 2 teachers permanently and this is Materna, next year the class will be split into two for elementare) I wonder if it has occurred to the teacher why?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not surprised Testa he wont go back - those sorts of viruses are enough to put anyone off

I am surprised though at the attitude here - but then maybe I shouldnt be surprised at anything anymore Maybe we should print some stuff off the net and take it to school and insist ?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:37 pm
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by Patty
I'm not surprised Testa he wont go back - those sorts of viruses are enough to put anyone off

I am surprised though at the attitude here - but then maybe I shouldnt be surprised at anything anymore Maybe we should print some stuff off the net and take it to school and insist ?
After you! You'd have more chance anyway having been here longer and having half Italian kids. I'd be looked at as the weird straniera, I just know it! What chance do we have when leaflets have already, at my school anyway, been given out explaining to us, the parents, how important hand washing is?? It's all just too weird!!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mmmmmmm - maybe you're right - on second thoughts and after hearing about Indies experiences I think I might give it a miss
Although ds's best friend's mum is a doctor - could always mention it to her and see what she thinks ?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:50 pm
The Original Red Head!

Can't do any harm! Unless she is the kind of dr you see smoking outside the cancer ward......Do as I say, not as I do!!
Old Nov 27th 2009, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

It's funny how handwashing after going to the loo and before cooking is considered unnecessary, but woe betide you if you don't use one of those not-so-environmentally-friendly plastic gloves at the supermarket to choose your veg! Come to think of it, it makes sense to me now- I wouldn't want those hands touching my food however well I wash it before cooking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.