Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Originally Posted by LifeShadows
HELP!

We are new to the Compania region of Italy (still in our hotel after 30 days here). We are moving into a home in Bacoli, near Monde Di Procida and are very excited to immerse ourselves into this country and culture. Our three children, ages 4, 8 and 10 will need to go to local schools, but I am finding the process of choosing a school to be incredibly difficult! Especially as most of the schools are closed for visits until they open for the school year in a week or two.

Is there a central location that I can access school information? Does anyone have specific advice for me in this area/region of Italy? How can I tell how religious-based a curriculum is (I would prefer this is to be minimal, but its not a deal breaker as I also see it as part of the cultural experience).

I prefer a bilingual school (to some degree), but with a mostly Italian student population, and I would like the teacher's main language to be Italian. I am finding some schools in this area started by the NATO parents that teach Italian, but the teacher's mainly speak English. This is not what I am looking for.

Schools I am looking at so far (mostly because they have been recommended by someone at some point): Green Garden School in Pozzuoli, Froebel in Aversa (quite a far distance though), Scuolo De Santis in Pozzuoli, & Tonino Schiano in Monte De Procida. I am VERY open to sending them to a non-private school but that option seems even more difficult as I do not speak very much Italian ...YET.

Also, are all Italian schools open M-Sat? Attending school on Saturday will be the most difficult sell of all to my girls

Thank you SO very much,
Shawn
There is a Montessori in Naples. And lots more to choose from besides.
I'd advise a look in at

www.wikinapoli.com/benvenuti/kids-in-naples

buona fortuna,
'o nonno
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:51 am
Just Joined

LifeShadows is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, we'd love a montessori school but none of them are close enough to us. An hour drive, one-way, is just too far
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Patty
was just reading the Corriere and this letter about Unis.

http://italians.corriere.it/2012/08/...icorso-a-vita/

basically in France you can only delay (or fail) one year of you Uni course and then you are out. Instead in Italy you can stay at Uni for life - doesn't matter how many years or how many times you fail, you can just keep on going
I'm not sure about the UK - is it like France?
Don't know how it works in UK now .. although at £9,000 a pop it's hardly worth you 'failing' a year.

I think there is a limit on some Italian courses now.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

HELP!

We are new to the Compania region of Italy (still in our hotel after 30 days here). We are moving into a home in Bacoli, near Monde Di Procida and are very excited to immerse ourselves into this country and culture. Our three children, ages 4, 8 and 10 will need to go to local schools, but I am finding the process of choosing a school to be incredibly difficult! Especially as most of the schools are closed for visits until they open for the school year in a week or two.

Is there a central location that I can access school information? Does anyone have specific advice for me in this area/region of Italy? How can I tell how religious-based a curriculum is (I would prefer this is to be minimal, but its not a deal breaker as I also see it as part of the cultural experience).

I prefer a bilingual school (to some degree), but with a mostly Italian student population, and I would like the teacher's main language to be Italian. I am finding some schools in this area started by the NATO parents that teach Italian, but the teacher's mainly speak English. This is not what I am looking for.

Schools I am looking at so far (mostly because they have been recommended by someone at some point): Green Garden School in Pozzuoli, Froebel in Aversa (quite a far distance though), Scuolo De Santis in Pozzuoli, & Tonino Schiano in Monte De Procida. I am VERY open to sending them to a non-private school but that option seems even more difficult as I do not speak very much Italian ...YET.

Also, are all Italian schools open M-Sat? Attending school on Saturday will be the most difficult sell of all to my girls

Thank you SO very much,
Shawn

Ok so you want:
1. bi-lingual
2. non Saturday attendance
3. non-private
4. minimal religious

...erm, sorry - I really don't think you can be that choosy.
Round our way 'religion' was theoretically confined to a one hour lesson per week, although you might find it creeping in here and there. However many State schools are less 'religious' than UK schools I reckon.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks Ononno, for the kids-in-naples website link. I have already researched all of those schools. None of them are close enough to us, unfortunately. The schools near the NATO base ARE close to us, but they are all primarily English-speaking
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Ok so you want:
1. bi-lingual
2. non Saturday attendance
3. non-private
4. minimal religious

...erm, sorry - I really don't think you can be that choosy.
Round our way 'religion' was theoretically confined to a one hour lesson per week, although you might find it creeping in here and there. However many State schools are less 'religious' than UK schools I reckon.
OH no, I am absolutely not being that choosy. I assume that there WILL be some religion, but I just wanted to understand how much (it isn't really listed in curriculum) and I assume they WILL have Saturday school, but wasn't sure if this is actually standard (the websites list school hours but not days of the wek), private vs. non-private isn't an issue at all except that I have found very few provate schools close enough to where we will live and bilingual is just a pipe dream.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

OH no, I am absolutely not being that choosy. I assume that there WILL be some religion, but I just wanted to understand how much (it isn't really listed in curriculum) and I assume they WILL have Saturday school, but wasn't sure if this is actually standard (the websites list school hours but not days of the wek), private vs. non-private isn't an issue at all except that I have found very few provate schools close enough to where we will live and bilingual is just a pipe dream.
Ok good .. just as long as you haven't got your hopes to high!
Actually at my daughter's primary school they stayed home on Saturdays with 'rientri' during the week to make up the hours. It was brilliant, but considered pretty revolutionary and...experimental.
You can always opt out of the religion hour anyway . .what's the immigration population in the area? Check if religion is taught by a regular teacher or a priest or nun...
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

The religous content of a State School curriculum should not be much beyond an hour a week and it is not mandatory , mine opeted out from middle school onwards . If you choose a school run by a religous order then obviously you are opting for a whole different approach .
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Like I said, I have compiled a short list of schools that we will be visiting this week and next that seem like they might be appropriate. Froebel is rteally a fabulous option, but my kids do not want to be in transport for hours every day & I can't say that I blame them.

I do know that there are other local schools listed with the Monte Di Procida and Bacoli city websites, but I have not quite figured out how to even approach them. They do not answer emails (assuming b/c closed for August) and calling is difficult as I do not speak the language. I suppose I was looking for fabulous links, like the montessori school listing sent earlier, and any advice from people who have put their children into a local neighborhood state school.

Thanks so much for all of the input so far
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:19 am
Just Joined

There are quite a few expats in our area, but very few of them have children, unfortunately.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

If you think you might opt for the state run schools then your first stop must be the local council offices who will be able to explain what catchement area you are in and maybe suggest suitable schools.

http://www.comune.bacoli.na.it/?idar...licaistruzione

http://www.comuni-italiani.it/063/006/scuole/

The private ones will only take you if they have spare places available the state is obbliged to offer you a place. Schools start mid - september so you need to make a choice soon .
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Like I said, I have compiled a short list of schools that we will be visiting this week and next that seem like they might be appropriate. Froebel is rteally a fabulous option, but my kids do not want to be in transport for hours every day & I can't say that I blame them.

I do know that there are other local schools listed with the Monte Di Procida and Bacoli city websites, but I have not quite figured out how to even approach them. They do not answer emails (assuming b/c closed for August) and calling is difficult as I do not speak the language. I suppose I was looking for fabulous links, like the montessori school listing sent earlier, and any advice from people who have put their children into a local neighborhood state school.

Thanks so much for all of the input so far
I think it may be worth telephoning the head of one of the Montessori schools near the base, who'll almost certainly speak English, explaining the situation, and asking her if she has any ideas. For instance are there are schools near you that are almost Montessori, so to speak, that she's particularly enthusiastic about ? A Montessori head teacher's more likely to be in her office now than a normal state school teacher, I think.

Last edited by Sancho; Aug 27th 2012 at 11:02 am.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sancho
I think it may be worth telephoning the head of one of the Montessori schools near the base, who'll almost certainly speak English, explaining the situation, and asking her if she has any ideas. Are there are schools near you that are almost Montessori, so to speak, that she's particularly enthusiastic about ?
I actually DID speak to them, but they had no idea. They actually told me that they were the only montessori school in the area at all (which I now see is untrue).
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
If you think you might opt for the state run schools then your first stop must be the local council offices who will be able to explain what catchement area you are in and maybe suggest suitable schools.

http://www.comune.bacoli.na.it/?idar...licaistruzione

http://www.comuni-italiani.it/063/006/scuole/

The private ones will only take you if they have spare places available the state is obbliged to offer you a place. Schools start mid - september so you need to make a choice soon .
OK. So I have been to these websites before, and I know from our prospective Italian neighbors which districts we are in (our realtor translated for us), but I still have no idea how to even find these schools (we've looked for the two I was directed to by using a GPS & the addresses, but no luck. I've contacted them via the main district email with no luck also (there is no website for the primary schools in our area). I think everything is still closed for August?

Luckily, I have yet to communicate with a private school that doesn't have space for us. I am confused by many of the private school websites as they talk about how they teach music, art, language, cooking, etc. There is no mention of math, science, reading, history, etc. I will know more once I can visit them next week, but does anyone know if they must teach according to some basic standards also?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Oops ... my husband just reminded me that we think we found one of them, but it wasn't open.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.