Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Old Jun 25th 2012, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Originally Posted by Patty
... (my son was allowed to do the history of hip hop in his music oral and a small demo of each style - he was chuffed cos all the teachers applauded him )
Cool!
I believe a class-mate is doing 'Rock Music' for his tesina .. it might be interesting to see how he'll get philosophy / history / sociology / etc. into that
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

I took DS to a party after school in an exclusive part of Rome, in an amazing house with gardens and a large pool. None of the mothers talked to me apart from the nice mum who was having the party. In the end I saw another mum standing alone, so I started conversation with her. She felt the same as me.
I do not think I will be going to these parties anymore, or at least I should just drop off and disappear.
Not being able to socialize, I stuffed myself with good Middle eastern food.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Juvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isakat
I took DS to a party after school in an exclusive part of Rome, in an amazing house with gardens and a large pool. None of the mothers talked to me apart from the nice mum who was having the party. In the end I saw another mum standing alone, so I started conversation with her. She felt the same as me.
I do not think I will be going to these parties anymore, or at least I should just drop off and disappear.
why didn't the other mothers talk to you?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:07 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Name names! Which part of Rome?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juvefan
why didn't the other mothers talk to you?
I presume that they do not know me as we live faraway from school and I hardly go there, or maybe out of snobishness? One mum did say hello to me, when she came to pick her kid up, but the others showed no interest.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Name names! Which part of Rome?
Have PM-ed you.
Hint-Berlusconi was looking for a house for his daughter there...

Last edited by Isakat; Jun 26th 2012 at 11:28 am.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:50 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Have PM-ed you.
Hint-Berlusconi was looking for a house for his daughter there...
got PM and understand
Old Jun 26th 2012, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

I'm thinking it was a part of Rome which starts with a P?

The other parents at my daughter's school are great. Just got back from hanging out with a bunch of them at one of their houses.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 5:29 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by gelato
I'm thinking it was a part of Rome which starts with a P?
nope but that was my first thought too bit further out
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Am intrigued Isakat - as we are up North I dont have any idea of 'snobby' areas in Rome, is it really that bad?

Maybe cos I'm a bit older now - but I've just decided that I really couldnt care less about all these superficial type of people. I've given up trying and just stick with the few friends I have - they may be few but I know they are genuine and so I'm happy enough

Mind you there are alot of snobby people here too - and in my mind, to be judged on what you are wearing or what car you have is just so totally wrong that I can't (in my best Lauren Cooper) Cant be Bovvered
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:10 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Here is a clue:

The Province of Rome (Italian: Provincia di Roma), is a province in the Lazio region of Italy. The province can be viewed as the extended metropolitan area of the city of Rome, although in its more peripheral portions, especially to the north, it comprises towns surrounded by rural landscape.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Phew .. well that's the maturità over with anyway .. scorching hot temperatures only added to the fun and feeling of general hysteria.

..and just when I thought it was safe to 'praise' (steady on..) something in the Ital school system ...
The commissione di esame seemed like a good idea - a mixture of internal and external teachers who mark the written papers so you get the results quickly and then do the oral all together so that students don't feel too under pressure with familiar teachers, and the externals can be more subjective as they don't know them and keep an eye on the internal ones to make sure there is no favouritism or cheating ....

But no, it can't be as easy as that with Italians can it? Asking them to be subjective and fair is like asking a group of 3 year olds to play 'nicely' ..they'll do it for a bit but then...

Unfortuantely there was clear evidence of favouritism both in the written exams and the oral ... not naming anu names of course, suffice it to say we weren't among the 'chosen ones' cos we don't "know" anyone...

if I had the time I'd have an enquiry made or something, but you all know how it is...

Shame really.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Took my daughter's list of books into Ipercoop to order them . The process was so efficient I could hardly believe it and then they asked me if I would be interessted in having the books covered ? oh yes ! It's something I hate doing and am no good at all . All I need do now is wait until they txt me and go collect them in late august
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Phew .. well that's the maturità over with anyway .. scorching hot temperatures only added to the fun and feeling of general hysteria.

..and just when I thought it was safe to 'praise' (steady on..) something in the Ital school system ...
The commissione di esame seemed like a good idea - a mixture of internal and external teachers who mark the written papers so you get the results quickly and then do the oral all together so that students don't feel too under pressure with familiar teachers, and the externals can be more subjective as they don't know them and keep an eye on the internal ones to make sure there is no favouritism or cheating ....

But no, it can't be as easy as that with Italians can it? Asking them to be subjective and fair is like asking a group of 3 year olds to play 'nicely' ..they'll do it for a bit but then...

Unfortuantely there was clear evidence of favouritism both in the written exams and the oral ... not naming anu names of course, suffice it to say we weren't among the 'chosen ones' cos we don't "know" anyone...

if I had the time I'd have an enquiry made or something, but you all know how it is...

Shame really.
sorry to hear that Mark - its really unfair and in this day and age it just shouldn't be like this should it. Unfortunately thats life in Italy - it permeates every single area of life - I dont see how it will ever improve. Shame - because if Italy became more meritocratic it would be great. A friends daughter was told she would be accepted for the maturita - then the day before she was told she was the only one who would not go through. Her mum has tried every single avenue available and has got no proper answer or explanation for this about turn and I feel really really sorry for her.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Patty
sorry to hear that Mark - its really unfair and in this day and age it just shouldn't be like this should it. Unfortunately thats life in Italy - it permeates every single area of life - I dont see how it will ever improve. Shame - because if Italy became more meritocratic it would be great. A friends daughter was told she would be accepted for the maturita - then the day before she was told she was the only one who would not go through. Her mum has tried every single avenue available and has got no proper answer or explanation for this about turn and I feel really really sorry for her.
Equally as bad ...

It's always been obvious that certian students have been "helped" more than others.. of course the others have to learn to live with it.

I'll never forget the time when I did a stint as a madrelingua in a scuola media..they asked (told) me to give one girl a good mark (even though she was rubbish) because she was the direttrice's niece or something...
Naturally I refused.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.