British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Ryanair pilots breath-tested (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/ryanair-pilots-breath-tested-837555/)

Sancho Jun 28th 2014 6:58 pm

Ryanair pilots breath-tested

I wonder if any of you travel with Ryanair

BBC News - Ryanair jets damaged in Stansted Airport collision

:eek:

ononno Jun 29th 2014 7:26 am

Re: Ryanair pilots breath-tested

Originally Posted by Sancho (Post 11318292)

I've read the reports. Can't say I'm surprised having travelled a time or two via Stansted. I would say it's more an airport problem than a Ryanair problem. In spite of all the negative comments that go around they do provide good value in my opinion. A couple of years ago I was able to fly Liverpool - Knock, and back, for 15 quid 2 people !!. Less than the car parking at Liverpool airport.
bye bye dicette l'inglese

mikelincs Jun 29th 2014 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Sancho (Post 11318292)

Not really a Ryanair problem is it, one approaching the stand, the other being pushed back and not under pilot control, there have been a few incidents like this, involving all sorts of airlines, and it happens in the busy airports all over the world. As to the breath testing, the tests were negative, and would be done in any incident, so not sure why it made the thread title, unless it was a bit like the tabloid newspapers, just wanting to make people read it.

sunnysider Jun 29th 2014 9:16 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11318602)
As to the breath testing, the tests were negative, and would be done in any incident, so not sure why it made the thread title, unless it was a bit like the tabloid newspapers, just wanting to make people read it.

Agree. It's normal sensible procedure.

Pretty routine for folks to be breath-tested after minor car incidents I think. Sensible.

I've been breath tested at least twice in the UK.

Does innocent until proven guilty exist in Italy?

Am aware that extended trials and media discussion of stuff can give some the idea that folks are guilty pre-trial.

I hold no particular brief for Ryanair - far far from it.

Lorna at Vicenza Jun 30th 2014 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by sunnysider (Post 11318650)

Does innocent until proven guilty exist in Italy?

Quite often it's the opposite. You are guilty until you can prove your innocence.

sunnysider Jun 30th 2014 3:08 pm

I fear you may be right Lorna.

Have had to remind one or two Italians in the UK that someone isn't necessarily guilty.

Unfortunately I also have the impression that a fair few found innocent by an Italian court will never be considered innocent by a pretty large percentage of the population.

So it goes :(

Breath tested twice - passed innocent both times though I could tell that one time the police seemed really non-plussed/puzzled by the result. Maybe it was the car I was driving or my wonky driving. They did let me go though :)

Lorna at Vicenza Jun 30th 2014 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by sunnysider (Post 11320140)

Unfortunately I also have the impression that a fair few found innocent by an Italian court will never be considered innocent by a pretty large percentage of the population.

And a fair few Italians who are most definitely guilty, will never see the inside of a prison cell. Unfortunately.