Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

"Resident" to be or not to be?

"Resident" to be or not to be?

Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

enterprise1999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Resident" to be or not to be?

Well I have an Italian national insurance number........ But I've decided to stay as an English resident whilst I spend my time in Sicily (witch will probably be most of the year)...... Anyone see any problems?.... I have an English registered van with unlimited european insurance, which will return to the UK with me to be MOTed every August..... The benifit of not having to pay rates as my only residence in Sicily wasent a problem........ So again can anyone see any problems?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:29 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Resident" to be or not to be?

Health care ?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

EHIC ?......... http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthc...areabroad.aspx
Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:08 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Only for emergencies at the accident and emergency department at the hospital. Everything else you would pay for.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thats not what the new regulations from May 2010 say on the website...... all what would be expected NHS wise in the UK should be avalible as Long as I remain a UK resident and pay my national insurance ETC....... I'll ask what other Brits do in Sicily when I go back in April.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:55 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Tbh, what entitles you to still be a resident of the UK isn't just paying insurance etc. there. There are also rules on how long you can be absent from the UK before, in effect, forfeiting your residency unless you are working for a UK firm here or you have a job in the UK that allows long absences. You need to check all the rules regarding residency in the UK before assuming you will be okay. I'm not saying what you want to do CAN'T be done, I'm just saying you are bending the rules to breaking point.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Just asking here hence the name of the thread....... As I'm self employed in the UK I'll allow myself long absenses...........
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:22 pm
The Original Red Head!

Fair enough! From the EHIC website I would be careful how often you claim on it though, if you need to. As I remember there are only so many times you can claim before they start to, shall we say, get suspicious. It also used to be for a stay of no longer than 3 months in total. I don't know how they check on these things but I guess if you were using your EHIC card every few weeks for 6 months or so, they's get a bit narky!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers for that.............. Maybe I might come across a wealthy contessa, then all my worries will be over. Maybe there could be an Italian/Sicilian dating thread on here?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:02 pm
The Original Red Head!

I know a few, my landlady is one - very high maintenance! I wouldn't bother if I were you!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

What about "girl friend wanted in Sicily" thread?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:27 pm
The Original Red Head!

You could try! Not sure what Lorna would have to say though! You might be better off on an Italian site too!
Old Mar 10th 2010, 7:00 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
You could try! Not sure what Lorna would have to say though! You might be better off on an Italian site too!
Lorna would say "this is a chat forum and not a dating or find your perfect partner website."

She'd also ask you if you really want an Italian girlfriend?
Old Mar 10th 2010, 7:20 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
She'd also ask you if you really want an Italian girlfriend?
In other words, do you want to practise celibacy?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

So health care could be a prob and no crumpet........ Anything else before I put my villa up for sale?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.