Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Residency update

Residency update

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Residency update

Allowing for the fact that every commune has its own timescales, this is what happened to me.

On 19.01.09 the Anagrafe (sp?) office couldn't find any more questions or demands to torment us with, finally gave in and accepted all our documents and said I was registered.
The police came to the house about a week later (didn't really look around, just asked some questions and ticked some boxes on a form) and then we received, in the post, letters confirming our residency on 05.02.09.

The letter also said we could go and pick up some sort of ID card if and when we wanted (not the Carte d'Identita) but when I went along, they said that if we chose we could have the Carte there and then which we did.

So, after many weeks of torment about needing this, that and the other the actual end process was very quick - 3 weeks between the Anagrafe, the police visit and the official written confirmation.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:08 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindaf
Allowing for the fact that every commune has its own timescales, this is what happened to me.

On 19.01.09 the Anagrafe (sp?) office couldn't find any more questions or demands to torment us with, finally gave in and accepted all our documents and said I was registered.
The police came to the house about a week later (didn't really look around, just asked some questions and ticked some boxes on a form) and then we received, in the post, letters confirming our residency on 05.02.09.

The letter also said we could go and pick up some sort of ID card if and when we wanted (not the Carte d'Identita) but when I went along, they said that if we chose we could have the Carte there and then which we did.

So, after many weeks of torment about needing this, that and the other the actual end process was very quick - 3 weeks between the Anagrafe, the police visit and the official written confirmation.
I never got any kind of letter - but it was over 15 years ago.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:22 pm
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

I was told I would get a letter summoning and sign a form at the office, its Thursday tomorrow that's post day here I will wait and see
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bricwood
I was told I would get a letter summoning and sign a form at the office, its Thursday tomorrow that's post day here I will wait and see
You get post delivered?
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:46 pm
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

yes post is delivered here, we have lamp posts too, I had to show the post girl the street sign I made and since then I even get junk mail, food parcels from my sister take about a week from london and since my girl friend contacted the mayor of lecce we are getting a new street sign just need my residency and get a car and I can relax, I hope!, in fact we even have yobs with aerosols spraying around its civilisation here!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, we are only a little under 3km from town here, on the main road, but we can't get our post delivered.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:32 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

My 5 year Carta di Soggiorno for EU nationals expires next week. Do I need to get it renewed or should I get a Carta Identità? I have residency here.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:21 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
My 5 year Carta di Soggiorno for EU nationals expires next week. Do I need to get it renewed or should I get a Carta Identità? I have residency here.
Duffer, you're supposed to go to the anagrafe in the comune and ask for an attestato di soggiorno permanente.

And don't forget to take your old card with you.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:30 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

OK. Will I need photos?
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by duffer
OK. Will I need photos?
Don't think so.

You will if you plan on asking for an identity card though. Haven't you already got one?
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:12 pm
Pull my finger

No I don't have one of those. I've got only the piece of paper thats headed Permesso di Soggiorno on it. And printed underneath in smaller font it says Carta di Soggiorno.

I should probably get an ID card as well.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Don't be surprised if it has an ink stamp on the back of it that says "non valido per l'espatrio". It means you cannot use your Italian identity card as a travel document outside Italy.
Lorna have you tried to use your ID card for travel? My ID card has the 'non valido ...' on the back but we were intrigued to see if it would actually be accepted anyway for travel. I can't remember if I've used it at Gatwick but Leeds Bradford accepted it to let me on the plane and so did customs at Venice airport to let me in the country - neither times did they look at the back cover.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by lindaf
Lorna have you tried to use your ID card for travel? My ID card has the 'non valido ...' on the back but we were intrigued to see if it would actually be accepted anyway for travel. I can't remember if I've used it at Gatwick but Leeds Bradford accepted it to let me on the plane and so did customs at Venice airport to let me in the country - neither times did they look at the back cover.
No I've never tried to use mine outside Italy.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

I believe with the CA on the bak it says not valid as passaport (not in english...) After 5 years you can get one and use it as a passaport as the back then is blank....Mind you I do live in Cesena
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

I recently got my id card renewed and it still has the 'non valido per l'espatrio' on the back. I've been here a while and married to an italian for 23 years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.