Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Residency update

Residency update

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Residency update

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Wow, I didn't realise so many of you were living in sin!! Why don't you go to a local lych gate and jump the broom?? That used to be legal.....

(I am joking btw and genuinely have no opinions either way - having been "forced" to get married by family some 24 years ago I'm not going to advocate either way!!)
I think it's really common tbh... even for people like us who've been together for a long time and have had kids. He did ask me to marry him once (unfortunately there was an incident with a duckpond and now I have no engagment ring ) , but it only seems important when you've got some snotty official bringing it up!!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

I'm not not married on principal, just laziness. My local ASL wouldn't let me register with OH's E106, only him and the children. I do have a letter about being his dependant which I used to get residency and I also needed a letter from his employer verifying this.

I asked if I could have an E106 in my own right but no-one ever got back to me. I don't pay tax but I do pay UK NI as we still get child benefit, which is in my name.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:36 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

If you get the E106 through though won't the child benefit stop? Mine did as soon as they found out I was over here. Any idea what happens to the trust fund money when you move abroad? Can Antonia still claim it when she's 18 or has she forfeited her right to it?? I need to find out really but my laziness stops me doing that, so I do understand you!! Lol! Anyway I don't think laziness has anything to do with getting married - it's a huge enterprise taking up months of time and energy and quite honestly - much as I liked the big dress and the bridesmaids, the cake was good too - the rest I have to ask who it was really for?? I do like showing Antonia my dress and photo's now though as she doesn't really recognise that mummy!! I'd do it sooo different now....Vegas appeals....
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LivingHere
I'm not not married on principal, just laziness. My local ASL wouldn't let me register with OH's E106, only him and the children. I do have a letter about being his dependant which I used to get residency and I also needed a letter from his employer verifying this.

I asked if I could have an E106 in my own right but no-one ever got back to me. I don't pay tax but I do pay UK NI as we still get child benefit, which is in my name.
Sounds like exactly the same situation as me..... I've just found an E106 form here on the HRC website. If it were me I'd phone them for some info Living Here as I am sure we're both entitled to an E106 and therefore health cover under the reciprocal agreement between the UK and Italy.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
If you get the E106 through though won't the child benefit stop? Mine did as soon as they found out I was over here. Any idea what happens to the trust fund money when you move abroad? Can Antonia still claim it when she's 18 or has she forfeited her right to it?? I need to find out really but my laziness stops me doing that, so I do understand you!! Lol! Anyway I don't think laziness has anything to do with getting married - it's a huge enterprise taking up months of time and energy and quite honestly - much as I liked the big dress and the bridesmaids, the cake was good too - the rest I have to ask who it was really for?? I do like showing Antonia my dress and photo's now though as she doesn't really recognise that mummy!! I'd do it sooo different now....Vegas appeals....
TR, I think it depends on (and I could be veeeery veeeery wrong cos I'm shite at this kinda [practical] stuff) whether you plan to be permanently out of the UK, or, like us on secondment with a UK company. My OH still pays italian tax but we still pay NI to the UK. There is a time limit of 5yrs on this type of arrangement though. After that he either needs to be employed by an Italian company or we all need to return to the UK. HTHxxx

Last edited by indiebird; Feb 23rd 2010 at 12:43 pm. Reason: I'm an idiot!!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

casalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by casalottian
One of the forms I have to fill in is a dichiarazione del datore di lavoro. I passed it on to my company (started working for them 7 or 8 months ago) and they're not quite sure what to do with it. The form has to be signed by the employer who supposedly has to live in the same comune as me.
So I went to the comune today without the form. I took an email (in english) from someone in HR saying that "there's nobody in Italy authorised to sign such a document, sorry". And they accepted it!
So just about all sorted (apart from the vigili bit)
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:25 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Typical - a lot of fuss and bother for nothing.

Glad you're getting sorted. The vigili are no bother.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

casalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Typical - a lot of fuss and bother for nothing.
Heh. Have you been to the comune di roma?! Wow. Unbelievable chaos! While I was talking to the person who was dealing with me, this guy stormed in saying we'd jumped the queue and he'd been there twice every month for 5 months and still nothing had been sorted. By the time we left, she'd had an argument with three employees in front of us. I think it's nothing short of a miracle that I got it done

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Glad you're getting sorted. The vigili are no bother.
That's good to know. Hopefully they won't mind that I don't live there any more.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Heh. Have you been to the comune di roma?! Wow. Unbelievable chaos! While I was talking to the person who was dealing with me, this guy stormed in saying we'd jumped the queue and he'd been there twice every month for 5 months and still nothing had been sorted. By the time we left, she'd had an argument with three employees in front of us. I think it's nothing short of a miracle that I got it done

That's good to know. Hopefully they won't mind that I don't live there any more.
Wow!! Well done you then for getting it sortedxxx
Old Feb 24th 2010, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by indiebird
Wow!! Well done you then for getting it sortedxxx
Thanks! It always feels like walking on broken glass in Italy. My wife, being really friendly (and Roman!), was chatting with the person booking the appointment and managed to get an incredibly quick appointment for me, then we got there today with a missing document and managed to sweet talk the supervisor into overlooking it.
The bank manager, who is friends with my wife, got us a loan which required all sorts of documents from me and proof that I've lived in Italy, that just didn't exist, but he managed to get it overlooked.

Conosciamo Pinco Pallino
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks! It always feels like walking on broken glass in Italy. My wife, being really friendly (and Roman!), was chatting with the person booking the appointment and managed to get an incredibly quick appointment for me, then we got there today with a missing document and managed to sweet talk the supervisor into overlooking it.
The bank manager, who is friends with my wife, got us a loan which required all sorts of documents from me and proof that I've lived in Italy, that just didn't exist, but he managed to get it overlooked.

Conosciamo Pinco Pallino
I've noticed that friendliness can often get you a long way, as can the 'who you know' mentality. It's taken me a while to realise it, but if you are chatty and say hello to everyone then things do get done quicker and less painfully!!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Conosciamo Pinco Pallino
Eh ....Pinco Pallino is a really useful person to know in Italy