Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Residency requirements for self employed people/INPS/SSN

Residency requirements for self employed people/INPS/SSN

Old Jul 14th 2018, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

questioning is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency requirements for self employed people/INPS/SSN

Hi Everybody. I have just a couple of general questions.

1. When you register as a self employed British person in Italy, I know you pay INPS. In the first year before you file a tax return, do you get health insurance through SSN? If not, is it mandatory as a residency requirement to have health insurance? How is the health insurance similar or different to NHS, in terms of co-payments/price etc?

2. When you are staying with friends and want to register your residency, do you need a to have a lease or can someone just sign something for you? What do they tend to ask for?

Thank you in advance for any responses, it is good to know others have been there! Cheers, A

Last edited by questioning; Jul 14th 2018 at 10:15 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency requirements for self employed people/INPS/SSN

Alot depends on whether you will have a partitia IVA or not. That has always been the line for self employed people. With a P.IVA you ar in the system and yourINPS contributions would probabbly (not working for the taxman I cannot be definite) cover you for the helth part of your residency. If you go down the non p.iva route, then you will have to have helath insurance, because you wont be paying into the system at the start.
For tehresidency it depends a fair bit on your comune, but kipping down at a friends place isnt enough for most. You will need a formal contract of comodato d'uso, or rental which will have to be registered.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of
Default Re: Residency requirements for self employed people/INPS/SSN

Personally speaking, I had a house rental contract and a partita IVA so I was able to claim residency in that way. Having done so, I was able to immediately obtain a healthcard from the SSN, completing a dichiarazione sostitutivo (self declaration) to say I was duly registered with the fiscal authorities.