Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Residency: get it before 29 March! URGENT

Residency: get it before 29 March! URGENT

Old Mar 2nd 2019, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold
Default Residency: get it before 29 March! URGENT

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, British citizens risk losing their EU rights unless they have residency - better soggiorno permanente - before 29 March. For details, see this site: Welcome to British in Italy - British in Italy.

Spread the word! Even if you're OK, you may know someone who isn't!
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency: get it before 29 March! URGENT

With even Janet Daley in the Telegraph backing May's deal I should think it will go through so no need to panic.
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by philat98
With even Janet Daley in the Telegraph backing May's deal I should think it will go through so no need to panic.
Panic? No, of course not. But I haven't got a crystal ball and the situation is so changeable that we can't count on getting a good deal. There are plenty of Tories of the "rule or ruin" breed, ready to drive the UK - and Europe too - over the cliff just to suit their prejudices.
The site I quoted seems serious and well-informed and I think it's better to be safe than sorry. Registering doesn't take that much work and there's still nearly a month to go. I registered years ago so I'm not worrying much, but I think younger people, more recently arrived in Italy, might treat the issue too lightly. This is an awareness campaign aimed mainly at them.

PS This campaign is also in defence of EU citizens in the UK. If some racist minister there starts a campaign against foreigners we might find a change of attitude in Italy too.

Last edited by jonwel; Mar 2nd 2019 at 4:52 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 5:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The level of cognitive dissonance shown by the OP is truly impressive.
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 8:36 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

If some racist minister there starts a campaign against foreigners.....

How would a British minister who is anti EU immigration be 'racist'? If there are these wicked racists lurking in the current government, how do you explain the sharp rise in the number of NON-European nationals arriving in the UK recently - apparently at a 10-year high?

...over the cliff just to suit their prejudices. Any evidence of these "prejudices", or are you just displaying some yourself?
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

‘It’s the hostile environment pilicy of the Home Office that is so corrosive - for both EU and non-EU immigrants.
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 11:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby2
‘It’s the hostile environment pilicy of the Home Office that is so corrosive - for both EU and non-EU immigrants.
Please give an example how the hostile environment policy negatively affects EU migrants.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

1. ‘name and shame’– In her early days as Home Secretary Amber Rudd considered requiring companies to publish a breakdown of the nationality of their workforce. The implication that individuals exercising their right of free movement and companies exercising their right to employ them might be shameful provoked an outcry which led her to withdraw the idea.
https://www.ft.com/content/9f4f58c4-...5-f79f5696c731
2. ‘permanent residency and citizenship’– Soon after the referendum and before the policy of Settled Status some EU citizens who had lived in the UK for many years decided to apply for permanent residency and/or citizenship even though they weren’t required to. There were reports of some disastrous mishandling on the part of the Home Office, akin to the Windrush cases.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...after-24-years
3. ‘jump the queue’– Theresa May claimed that EU citizens will no longer be able to ‘jump the queue’ after Brexit, denigrating them by implying they had somehow abused the system. Her comments were widely viewed as ‘damaging and insensitive’ and she herself later said she regretted saying them.
https://www.businessinsider.com/ther...e-2018-11?IR=T
4. ‘Right to rent’– The government ‘right to rent’ scheme which requires landlords to check the immigration status of tenants has been challenged as breaching human rights. It puts the onus on landlords to carry out immigration status checks and turned them into ‘untrained and unwilling border police’. Fearful of getting things wrong and risking a fine, private landlords were opting to refuse prospective tenants if they could not provide a British passport or had a foreign name.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47415383
5. ‘Poles go Home’
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...X.2018.1451308
6. ‘In limbo: Brexit Testimonies from EU citizens in the UK’ is a collection of people’s stories of their experiences following the Brexit vote. Much of it relates to uncertainty but there is also a strong sense of feeling unwanted.
7. EU Healthcare staff leaving- “Just hearing the conversations they have... They feel they're not welcome here anymore,”
https://www.theguardian.com/healthca...european-staff

Last edited by Ruby2; Mar 4th 2019 at 9:07 am.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 10:27 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Ruby,

1) Was never part of any policy - just a dumb idea which was withdrawn - so isn't part of any "hostile environment", whether corrosive or otherwise.
2)There were "reports" of "some" people having difficulty with their naturalization process. So what? This accusation can be levelled against any country on the planet. The number of "victims" is probably statistically insignificant - do you have any figures?
3) It was an unfortunate and badly worded comment, but it's a simple fact that EU migrants were (and are) advantaged over others by the Free Movement principle.
4) I don't see how this significantly affected EU citizens - show the EU passport to the landlord and there should be no problem, surely?
5) I didn't go to the link, but there are some idiots in any large body of people. Not part of any official policy.
6) There are plenty of Brits in the EU who are "in limbo" too. The uncertainty isn't a one-way street. Besides, these are personal testimonies - by definition, likely emotionally charged - and thus hardly an objective measure.
7) This is a deliberate distortion. Obviously some people are leaving (for many different reasons), and some are NHS staff, but the figures I saw just yesterday (Telegraph, I think) showed a 57 000 nett gain in EU migrants for the last reporting period, which I think was the last quarter of 2018.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

tooboocoo,

BritInParis asked for an example of how the hostile environment policy had negatively affected EU migrants. The examples I quoted were in areas where I had become aware of actual or potential negative effects.

1) and 3) Unfortunately ‘dumb ideas’ and ‘badly-worded’ comments from politicians have effects. When they collide with a hostile environment they can add to demonisation and legitimise prejudice even when the ideas are withdrawn or the comments regretted (see 5) below).

2) The effect of receiving a letter from the Home Office telling an EU citizen who is rightfully in the country that they should make arrangements to leave must have been devastating and of great personal significance to the recipient. Numbers may be small in absolute terms, as were the numbers affected by the Windrush scandal but the outcomes are still unacceptable.

4) Landlords turn people down who are applying to rent because they are worried they may fall foul of the regulations under the ‘right to rent’ scheme. They have turned people down on the basis of their name not seeming to be British. Of course, the applicant would be free to show their documentation that proves they are a legal migrant. But the landlord’s refusal will mean they don’t get that far. The article references the research and in fact reports that the rules have breached human rights laws.

5) I recommend you read the link. It is a scholarly article, well-researched. Here’s a quote – ‘one of the things that has become clear is that the hostile environment that has been an official aim of policy for the last few years is ‘coming home’. If a ‘hostile environment’ is embedded politically, it can’t be a surprise that it takes root culturally’.

6) I am one of those Brits in the EU who is ‘in limbo’. There is a second volume of the ‘In Limbo’ book I referred to called ‘In Limbo Too: Brexit testimonies from UK citizens in the EU: Volume 2’. Personal testimonies are subjective and emotionally-charged – that does not invalidate them.

7) Sorry, I can’t find a reference to the newspaper article you mention.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

I started this thread to give a word of warning to those who might be taking a no-deal scenario a little too lightly.
The first reply was "Don't panic!", in other words an invitation not to take thngs too seriously.
I made a comment about racism which I'm glad to see has been backed by some who are better informed than me (I hardly ever go to the UK).

Anyway, back to the beginning: please take this warning seriously and read the "British in Italy" website!!!
Old Mar 4th 2019, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, jonwel.
I realised I had gone off topic.
And thanks for the posting the advice from ‘British in Italy’.
‘British In Italy’ have been working assiduosly on our behalf with the Italian ministry to retain rights post Brexit. Good on them!
Old Mar 4th 2019, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I was checking through my various permits health documents and they all have wording that includes citizen of the EU. You could imagine that if relations with the UK and Italy became more like France and Italy then the situation for UK citizens could be more precarious. There are a lot of Italian workers in the UK and the Italian government will want to protect them.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

There is now little chance of there being a no deal Brexit and the UK crashing out. I’m expecting Article 50 to be extended for at least another year yet
Old Mar 5th 2019, 7:07 am
On a grand tour

I made a comment about racism which I'm glad to see has been backed by some who are better informed than me

Correction: you casually made a lazy, judgmental comment about your fellow Brits which isn't "backed" by any meaningful real-world evidence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.