Reload this Page >

Residency/Carta D'Identita

Residency/Carta D'Identita

Old Mar 6th 2019, 8:51 am
Just Joined

athoni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency/Carta D'Identita

Hi,
I have had residency in Italy for the past 20 years. Several years back I was asked by a prospective employer for a "Certificato di Residenza". When I went to my local commune in Rome they said had no record of my residency. Fortunately I had a copy of an old certificate on my computer, and on returning with this,lo and behold my records were located again. I am now debating as to whether to obtain a new "Certificato di Residenza",(or is my old one from 2011 still valid?),or a carta d'identita. Would the carta d'identita be sufficient to prove my residency status, if it were called in to question post Brexit?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency/Carta D'Identita

If you are resident then you should have a carta d'identita.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

To have a carta d’identità you have to be resident.

But if you are resident you don’t have to have a carta d’identità. Your UK passport or photo driving licence will do for photo identification. But a carta d’identità is simpler for Italians to make sense of - it proves your identity and residence status.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 6:14 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

What you should be asking your comune for now is an " attestazione di soggiorno permanente per cittadini dell'UE" and you should get it before March 29th if you can. It's only an option for people who have been legally resident and registered here for 5 years or more.
I got mine in a week. Filled out a simple, one page form, gave them a marca da bollo for about €16. They looked me up in their books so knew how long I'd been resident. I got mine some years ago. I'm guessing that there will be more than one Jobsworth in any given comune right now telling folk that it's not possible because of Brexit - but we are not yet out of the EU.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have to show that you are employed? A woman at the ASL asked told me yesterday that Umbria only gives out permanent residency to people who have continuous employment over 5 years.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

A carta d'identità shows your residence, which a passport and UK driving licence dont. AS you have to be able to show who you are and where you live to all and sundry, a carta d'identita is all but obligatory.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 6:05 am
Just Joined

Thankyou all very much for your input. Lorna, I will definitely try and go for the "attestazione di soggiorno permanente per cittadini dell'UE". I have an appointment this afternoon and have dug out some new found documentation,such as the original slip of paper -the "dichiarazione"- from USL,dating back to 2001,with GP,and my address which hasn't changed, as well as the slip of paper given by my comune for residenza,also from 2001. I hope this will be enough. As a "libero professionista" I have a few contracts dating back which I can show them if required. Somewhere,which I haven't been able to locate as yet,is my old permesso di soggiorno,which,I remember had an "scadenza indeterminata ".
Old Mar 7th 2019, 6:41 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Do you have to show that you are employed? A woman at the ASL asked told me yesterday that Umbria only gives out permanent residency to people who have continuous employment over 5 years.
They didn't ask me anything. They sent me over the road to the sigarette shop to buy the marca da bollo and took my blue cardboard permesso di soggiorno from the questura off me. Shame. I wanted to keep that as a souvenir. I have heard though that plenty of commune are now asking for 5 years worth of INPS contributions or copies of tax returns etc. It's something to do with a circolare they all received. This letter mentions something about the requirements when applying for first time residency and they are all incorrectly taking this to mean that if we ask for the attestazione after 5 years, then we are supposed to prove that we have fit the requirements for these last 5 years.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Have just received the "attestazione di soggiorno permanente". Made an appointment at my local commune in Rome-took along my Passport,a copy of my old "permesso di soggiorno",(which luckily I found on an old computer),and 2 marca da bollo at €16 a piece. Strangely no forms to fill in -it took just 10 minutes and I was given the soggiorno permanente certificate on the spot. I was surprised as I expected to have to return,but no,a really painless process. So thank you Lorna once again for suggesting that,as I would really have had no idea that such a soggiorno existed.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by athoni
Have just received the "attestazione di soggiorno permanente". Made an appointment at my local commune in Rome-took along my Passport,a copy of my old "permesso di soggiorno",(which luckily I found on an old computer),and 2 marca da bollo at €16 a piece. Strangely no forms to fill in -it took just 10 minutes and I was given the soggiorno permanente certificate on the spot. I was surprised as I expected to have to return,but no,a really painless process. So thank you Lorna once again for suggesting that,as I would really have had no idea that such a soggiorno existed.
Mmm! Lucky you. As predicted by Lorna, my comune (deep South) had no idea what I was talking about when I went along yesterday morning, armed with marca da bollo (2 of), photos (2 of) , permessi di soggiorno (several, old), carta d'identità scadenza 2026, tessera sanitaria, atttestazione di pensionato INPS dal 2005. As you can see well prepared. It took 5 of them searching in their computers for something to eventually find me, resident in this comune since July 1989. A discussion of about 10 minutes in camera took place, after which it was discovered that 'yes' I could have the attestazione, which should be ready by next Monday.
Thank you local anagrafe, and thanks to all of you for your input on this subject.
ciao for now,
'o nonno

Old Mar 12th 2019, 12:51 pm

Glad you both managed to get yourselves sorted.

Old Mar 25th 2019, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Solarcower is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Slightly hijacking the thread, I guess, but the last posts are especially relevant to my situation.
I have been here in Italy for over 5 years and last year i was considering whether to get the permanent residency or citizenship. The process for both seemed complicated, so in the end i got neither. I am at the anagrafe tomorrow because i need a certificate of residence to prove the date I was resident in Italy. I have been reading this thread with interest regarding the "attestazione di soggiorno permanente". Is this different to the 'EC residence permit for long term residents', because the info on poliziadistato.it for this states that you need criminal records check document, payslips for a year, tax statement, passport photocopy, etc. If it is different, how is it different? If not, do i have wrong info? I didn't think it would be so simple, or I would have done it ages ago.
It would be very useful for me to arrange this tomorrow if it's possible.
Thanks
Old Mar 27th 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Solarcower
Hi
Slightly hijacking the thread, I guess, but the last posts are especially relevant to my situation.
I have been here in Italy for over 5 years and last year i was considering whether to get the permanent residency or citizenship. The process for both seemed complicated, so in the end i got neither. I am at the anagrafe tomorrow because i need a certificate of residence to prove the date I was resident in Italy. I have been reading this thread with interest regarding the "attestazione di soggiorno permanente". Is this different to the 'EC residence permit for long term residents', because the info on poliziadistato.it for this states that you need criminal records check document, payslips for a year, tax statement, passport photocopy, etc. If it is different, how is it different? If not, do i have wrong info? I didn't think it would be so simple, or I would have done it ages ago.
It would be very useful for me to arrange this tomorrow if it's possible.
Thanks
Hi, sorry I didn't see this before. Did you go to the comune? What happened?
Old Mar 27th 2019, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

VEROVITA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by athoni
Did they give you the usual A4 size certificate? I thought the new permanant residence cards were in the form of a credit card type?
Old Mar 27th 2019, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Solarcower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hi, sorry I didn't see this before. Did you go to the comune? What happened?
Yes, I got the permanent residency yesterday, so thanks for your info. (It was an A4 sheet, although I did see photos being advertised on the photo machine for permesso di soggiorno, so i did wonder about that).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.