Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Rent to Buy housing deal

Rent to Buy housing deal

Old Jan 19th 2015, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice
Default Re: Rent to Buy housing deal

Originally Posted by Beasty
It clearly does have a simple answer

If i ask normal people this they say, well it would be around then state a number!

Is everyone here a former politician or on medication

Its simple economices houses with an advertised value of x have a rental of approx y

Seriously, read the original post, useful might have been i would expect about yadayada number.. not talking about frikkin bedsits in london and the ROI for buy to let.. seriously!
The information I gave you is based on my personal experience. After I moved here I was looking for another property to rent with a view to buy for my parents. While in town one can find a flat for rent or sale, out of town where we are people will only consider letting their properties out on a holiday let basis. I enlisted the help of a local neighbour to approach owners who had properties for sale to ask them if they would consider renting the property out to start with with a view after an agreed time to buy that particular property. The answer was always the same: possibility of renting only between end of October/end of February at a slightly reduced low season rental rate.

Obviously you know better so good luck
Old Jan 20th 2015, 11:44 am
Account Closed

Beasty is an unknown quantity at this point

Making an argument for no reason

Rent to buy has nothing to do with a holiday rent, low season, high season or otherwise

So if you do not understand that there is no correlation between a seasonal let and a rent to buy agreement, then you are correct I do know better

Oh yes I could not find out how to delete my profile, one person gave me numbers which is what most people offer when asked the original question try reading it.

Feel free to delete this account as i cannot see how
Old Jan 20th 2015, 12:40 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Rent to buy has nothing to do with a holiday rent, low season, high season or otherwise

So if you do not understand that there is no correlation between a seasonal let and a rent to buy agreement, then you are correct I do know better

Oh yes I could not find out how to delete my profile, one person gave me numbers which is what most people offer when asked the original question try reading it.

P.m. or email Lorna if you are unable to delete your account
Old Jan 20th 2015, 3:22 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Well well. You did get your knickers into a twist didn't you? I see no point adding to what everyone else has so helpfully said as you're not having any of it and you're right of course aren't you? Makes one wonder why you asked for our help in the first place. You must have a great life in Italy with an attitude like that and I'll happily get your account deleted as we here at BE don't need that kind of attitude, especially not the nice folks who offered so much decent advice - just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it was wrong. Ciao.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 3:45 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can give me a little guidance here.

I found a house and want to do rent to buy, the agent told me this is possible, i know the house has been on the market for over 1 year and was previously advertised for rent (Which is why rent to buy might work)

I cannot find the rental amount anywhere. I am looking for a ready reckoner for rent i.e. 200.000 sale value is approx X rental etc
You are missing the point

a 100.000 house has a value of 100.000
a 100.000 house normaly rents for the same, regardless if it is a palace on the orkney islands or a room in london, the value is 100.000

Standard rental contract, the point is so i can establish the NORMAL or approx normal rent for such a property and then negotiate the excess as payments towards the capital value during the rental period

I thought the question was simple

If a property is valued at 200.000 how much would it be expected to rent for? VALUE 200.000
simple, I have been on both sides of this as a seller & purchaser [rent to buy]

when a property has a value of X, me as the owner would want a return on my investment of not less than 5% ongoing to rent only it out to someone, as well as first and last months rent + security deposit up front

If I was selling it to you on a rent to buy, as follows which will *hopefully* give you the broad brush on your question

- An up front deposit of say 5% of the value we both negotiated & agreed on

- an addition premium over & above the rental (usually minimum 5%) & that all repairs are yours. Me as the owner is off the hook. However, I'm not daft & would have insurance anyway, as well would want you to take out building insurance with me the owner as the beneficiary in case you burned it down

- so on 100,000, you pay me 5000 non-refundable. The rent is 5250/yr or thereabouts (sometime more, never less), its all negotiable. You pay all the repairs, fix up's & improvements + house insurance

- As a rent to buyer - sometimes the owner will give you an *option* to either fix the price today at a fixed rent with a buy out over 5, 10, 20 years at a higher value. All negotiable. Depending on the (so called mortgage life) which is the rent fixed, the rent could be higher because its fixed & depending on the option period

- Some sellers to a 'rent to buy' will give you an 'option' to rent to buy for a fixed period, then buy it out in full at some future date. At that point you'd have the cash to pay it in full, or go out & get a mortgage.

- [caution to the wind] Some sellers like me would not want you to exercise your <time fixed> *option*, you walk away & I have had a higher rent + your deposit over the 5 years you rent

- Some sellers & rent to buy will jointly agree to set the rent at x then count some of the rent towards the principle of the house purchase.

I trust the above helps you. Try to put yourself in the shoes of the seller, that you want a return as well as make sure the property doesn't become a dump & loses value

On negotiating the rent to buy.

Low ball your offer & quickly do the maths that the rent only is 5%/yr divided by 12 to get to monthly.

That on a rent to buy expect somewhere between 5 -10% as a rent to buy with a few points going towards the principle each month to a future date, say 5 years ahead then you'd have to come up with the money (by mortgage) to pay off the owner.

Along those lines. Everything is negotiable & depends if the owners want out quick or like the short term income

Any questions, please post them back on here

Last edited by not2old; Jan 20th 2015 at 5:00 pm.