Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Renewing Uk Passport

Renewing Uk Passport

Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Snowmanitaly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing Uk Passport

A very good day to all! Does anyone know of an authorised translator in the Vicenza area who can translate my Italian ID card into English for proof of address purposes? I need someone who works for a translation company or who is a registered translator with a recognized body.

All the best. Appreciate the help.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 11:59 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing Uk Passport

Originally Posted by Snowmanitaly
A very good day to all! Does anyone know of an authorised translator in the Vicenza area who can translate my Italian ID card into English for proof of address purposes? I need someone who works for a translation company or who is a registered translator with a recognized body.

All the best. Appreciate the help.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Proof of address for whom?
Wouldn't a gas or electric bill be enough?
I never heard of anybody else here getting an Italian ID card officially translated into English.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

you want a traduzione giurata which can be done by anyone, who then toddles off the the local tribunale and gets its stamped (with marca di bollo e id)
Old Sep 30th 2013, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi again. It's for the HM Passport Office. My utility bills are in my wife's name anf since I'm doing unpaid voluntary work I don' have tax docs to send. The lovely people there in the UK specify that the translation must be done by someone who works as a professional translator for a company or is registered with a body that does that sort of work. Thanks for your help anyway. Regards and best wishes.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 3:01 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again. It's for the HM Passport Office. My utility bills are in my wife's name anf since I'm doing unpaid voluntary work I don' have tax docs to send. The lovely people there in the UK specify that the translation must be done by someone who works as a professional translator for a company or is registered with a body that does that sort of work. Thanks for your help anyway. Regards and best wishes.

As this is a new requirement, will you let us know how you go about things?As the document must be a recent one, maybe a cert of residence might be better?

When needed, I've always done what Modica suggested.

No, not quite as Modica said. Translated by someone else. Not me. So not anyone.

Last edited by 37100; Sep 30th 2013 at 3:19 pm. Reason: Not quite
Old Sep 30th 2013, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

yes, true - must be a third person - but doesnt have to be a registered translator. Or you could get the notaio to do it.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Hi all and many thanks for taking the time to write back.

I attach a copy of the letter from the wallahs in the Passport Office.

I 'phoned them and they said they would accept a trnslated copy of my ID card.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Take care and thanks again.
Attached Files
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Try these - http://www.paginegialle.it/pgol/4-tr...ate/3-Vicenza?
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:17 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all and many thanks for taking the time to write back.

I attach a copy of the letter from the wallahs in the Passport Office.

I 'phoned them and they said they would accept a trnslated copy of my ID card.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Take care and thanks again.
SnowmanItaly. Took a few day to get back to you because I wanted to check with a lawyer. There are no offical bodies for translations in Italy.

Quote from the FCO; 'In Italy there is no professional body recognised by the State of translators and interpreters. However, following the descision of the Ministry of Justice of 4th October 2010, the Italian National Association of Translators and Interpreters (ANITI) was registered as a representive association at national level. This non-profit association promotes Italian legistive regulation of translators/interpreter profession,
and persues more active recognition of professionalism of it's members.'

So will the newly remained UK Passport Office askes for a registered translater, the FCO know this does not exist in Italy. ANITI is just one of the many associations non-profit. http://www.aniti.it/Default.asp

I asked around and another option is CLA. Centro Linguistico di Ateneo. This
is the Uni language faculty. They also offer a little publicized translation service. Don't think that Vi has one. Verona does and I'd guess Padova too.

Last edited by 37100; Oct 2nd 2013 at 9:22 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:24 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
SnowmanItaly. Took a few day to get back to you because I wanted to check with a lawyer. There are no offical bodies for translations in Italy.

Quote from the FCO; 'In Italy there is no professional body recognised by the State of translators and interpreters. However, following the descision of the Ministry of Justice of 4th October 2010, the Italian National Association of Translators and Interpreters (ANITI) was registered as a representive association at national level. This non-profit association promotes Italian legistive regulation of translators/interpreter profession,
and persues more active recognition of professionalism of it's members.'

So will the newly remained UK Passport Office askes for a registered translater, the FCO know this does not exist in Italy. ANITI is just one of the many associations non-profit. http://www.aniti.it/Default.asp

I asked around and another option is CLA. Centro Linguistico di Ateneo. This
is the Uni language faculty. They also offer a little publicized translation service. Don't think that Vi has one. Verona does and I'd guess Padova too.
I looked into this as well for daughter's Italian birth certificate to send off with UK passport application. Fortunately I got round it because the Town Halls now do international multi-lingual birth certificates. Don't think they do international residence ones though. Think there is also a list of recognised translators on the British Consulate website.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:23 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I looked into this as well for daughter's Italian birth certificate to send off with UK passport application. Fortunately I got round it because the Town Halls now do international multi-lingual birth certificates. Don't think they do international residence ones though. Think there is also a list of recognised translators on the British Consulate website.
No, not for residenza.

The embassy/consulate list are not recognised ones, but just for 'the convenience of British nationals'. BTW as far as I can see, the Consulates are now all on the UK Gov site.

The only way to get a translation with a legal value -IYKWIM- is to take the translation down to the tribunal for a nice stamp.

Wish I was Dutch. Their consulate is very helpful.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Hello again,

I really appreciate all the input guys. I think I may have cracked it through a friend who runs a School here in the province. We will get the trnslation done and notarised tomorrow and then I'll send it off. I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime a very big thanks to all and my best wishes for all of you.

Snow
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:37 am

Hello again,

I really appreciate all the input guys. I think I may have cracked it through a friend who runs a School here in the province. We will get the trnslation done and notarised tomorrow and then I'll send it off. I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime a very big thanks to all and my best wishes for all of you.

Snow
Not a school in Thiene by any chance is it?
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Ho hum, that's new. I would contact the HMPO and ask them whether a translation is strictly necessary for proof of address - after all, it's going to have to be in Italian when it's posted.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 7:26 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Ho hum, that's new. I would contact the HMPO and ask them whether a translation is strictly necessary for proof of address - after all, it's going to have to be in Italian when it's posted.
Yes, 'tis new, BritParis. And Snowman has already contacted HMPO and been told that a translation is necessary. Unfortunately, they are asking for a translation from a recognized body of translators. Such does not exist in Italy. What we can do, and what I think Snowman is going to do, is get a translation and get it stamped by tribunal official. It is a penal office to lie to the official.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.