British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Renewing Italian passport - Losing my patience (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/renewing-italian-passport-losing-my-patience-902868/)

Mr Dallas Oct 21st 2019 1:53 pm

Re: Renewing Italian passport - Losing my patience

Like most here, I’ve had the worst time trying to renew my Italian passport. Though I’ve finally managed to to make the appointment. There’s a lot information floating about, though it’s difficult to get strait forward advice and help. This forum has helped a little and I’d like to share what I’ve found to be the path to getting that appointment through the consulate.

1- Register on the Prenota website. (Even though you don’t really use it, it has to be done)
2- Register with AIRE through the conslondra.esteri.it
Type in search “how to register AIRE.”
3- You will need a printer and scanner when you fill out the online form. There’s a declaration you need to print, sign and scan with 2 other documents. Passport and proof of residence.
4- Contrary to what a lot of people are saying here, there is NO waiting time for AIRE to accept your registration. It is done instantly through the portal registration. You receive an email saying your registered.
5- Here comes the pain. Call the passport office. They open at 8:15 mon-fri. Start calling at 8:14 if you’re not on the queue by 8:17 you will be on hold for over an hour easily! I wouldn’t bother till the following day once it went past that time.
6- Get familiar with the automated message when you call. It’s first in Italian then English. Learn the message so you know when to hang up and call again immediately!

Once through and you’ve done the procedure correctly it’s easy. I got an appointment within a month in London.

Good luck, it’s the worst administrative experience Ive had in a long time. I was trying for close to a month going round in circles then giving up and starting again.

Casagialla Oct 22nd 2019 5:12 pm

You certainly deserve ten out of ten for persistance! I have now booked an appointment with the manchester consular office (open two days a week) the appointment is for December and as I live in Manchester it is ideal for me, the booking was on line. The booking process was simple and there was no problems. I am trying to renew my passport which expires in March and I am in Aire already.
Previously i had booked an appointment for the consular office in Liverpool (way back in August) for March that was the earliest appointment I could get. I did not want to go to London the train fare and the time are too much.
Many thanks for your response

redgie321 Nov 28th 2019 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by noneneo (Post 12718046)
Hey everyone,

Sharing my experience with you today.

My passport was about to expire in April, so just as all of you here shared your experiences, I went on the pilgrimage of getting it renewed.

I tried for 2 weeks before I literally got through. I called every day, tried the auto-dial apps, tried e-mailing them as well... I got through once in 2 weeks, which the call was then dropped and they never call you back.

What worked for me was the following: I started to call 5 minutes before their opening hours in the call centre and it has proven to be quite effective for me. Once I went there, everything was done within 45mins-1h.

A few things to note:
  • Collect all your documents and don't forget a single one. It costs around £150 to get it all done
  • At the entrance, the guards don't really appreciate it if you can't speak Italian. They are also very sexist. They receive women and girls with a big smile, and men with a serious face.
  • The people who process the passport are very helpful and patient.
Now what happened to me was the following. I paid for all of it and got it done with, and they said it would take in-between 45 - 60 days to receive the passport.

It's already been nearly 2 months that I'm waiting for my passport and never got any sort of notification or tracking to followup where it is. There is no one to call, and believe it or not, I called up the call centre service and go through in a heartbeat. 2x in 2 days I've tried. The 1st time, the call dropped as usual. What he advised me to do was to go to the embassy and ask them over there.

I just don't understand why their system is so archaic in a city like London, where they must have all the resources, budget, everything.

Hi!

Did you end up receiving your passport? I am still waiting 6 weeks later after they said 4. No numbers to call, etc, also. Do we just have to wait and hope?

Cheers,