Renewing Italian passport - Losing my patience

Renewing Italian passport - Losing my patience

Old Aug 14th 2018, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Senseimartins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renewing Italian passport - Losing my patience

Originally Posted by Charax
Hi! thanks for checking in

Yes, I finally got my appointment on the 2nd of November and got my new passport. once I actually got to the consulate it was relatively simple, it was everything before that which was stressful:

I took a week off work to phone the consulate, after the first two days of trying and failing, I downloaded an autodialler app on my phone and set it to call the consulate every 10 seconds until it got through. Took about half an hour, but that got me into the call queue

When I finally got through to someone (who was very nice) I got my appointment booked for 11:10am on the 2nd of November. bear in mind I was calling in september, there is a LONG wait.

Got my appointment confirmed and booked in Prenota online (as I noted in my initial post, you cannot book a passport appointment online, even though their youtube video shows you being able to do it, but if you book over the phone, it will appear on the website)

Got into London on the 1st, had to get a new set of passport photos taken (wrong size, and most photo booths have vague settings like "US Visa size" and "EU Identity card size"). Made it to the consulate just before they opened at 8:45, there was already a queue of about 30-50 people, so I'm glad I got there early, was seen at about 9, handed over the documents, they took my biometrics and I waited to be called to pay & collect, all told I was out by about 10, before my appointment would have been. HIGHLY recommend getting there early, regardless of appointment time.

Well, thankfully I don't have to do that for another decade! When I posted this thread I noted that I'd searched online and found very little of use, so hopefully this can help others in the same situation. It's pretty ridiculous that I had to use an autodialler to get through in the first place, but the rest of the process was ok.

Couldn't make the work trip, obviously, so they rescheduled for the 5th of November and I got back on the 11th, no passport problems at all

Thanks for posting this recommendations I finally got my first appointment after 6 months by using the auto dialer and redialed every 2 second,got through on the first day and 2 minutes before their lines even opened. I'm going to spread the message the message about this to ensure others that are struggling to just make an appointment can try this method. Thanks you and have a nice day.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Roz22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renewing Italian passport

Thanks to the advice on this forum I downloaded the speed dial app and was able to get an appointment, I have the Mod 1 form and have a question, as I have duel nationality, when filling in the form do I put my Italian address on the form or my British one, sorry for sounding silly, but the thought of going all the wayto the consulate and filling in the form incorrectly fills me with dread. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing Italian passport

Originally Posted by Roz22
Thanks to the advice on this forum I downloaded the speed dial app and was able to get an appointment, I have the Mod 1 form and have a question, as I have duel nationality, when filling in the form do I put my Italian address on the form or my British one, sorry for sounding silly, but the thought of going all the wayto the consulate and filling in the form incorrectly fills me with dread. Thanks in advance.
Even with dual nationality, surely your current address - which sounds like it's UK. I've recently renewed my UK passport, with my current French address. No problems.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 8:58 am
Just Joined

tatisalla1705 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can someone please advise the speed dial app name
I am trying since May and call around 800 times per week with no sucess
I have sent several emails, no one asnwers
The online appointment system also doesnt work
My passport expired in December and I have travel booked for January
Thanks
Old Sep 19th 2018, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that, I am taking two forms one with my Uk address and one with my house address in Italy, I now spend equal times betw
Old Sep 19th 2018, 9:05 am
Just Joined

After all the trauma of getting the appointment, I was told as I have citizenship I should have renewed in Italy, they said they would apply for permission to do it here, but could not guarentee. Oh well if all fails Italy here I come. You can use your Identity card to travel while this Brexit rubbish is still at a stand still. Good luck.

Last edited by Roz22; Sep 19th 2018 at 9:07 am. Reason: forgot to entre a sentance.
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

cosmonaut786 is a jewel in the roughcosmonaut786 is a jewel in the roughcosmonaut786 is a jewel in the roughcosmonaut786 is a jewel in the rough

Hi everyone,

It was such a painful experience to renew my passport that I decided to create an account here to try help others.

I guess the most difficult part is to book the appointment. Like it was suggested, I had the redial app and started calling 5 min before the line starts working. After 30min it went through. But I lost connection, my train went through a tunnel. 😅 I kept trying and after 20min it went through again. 30 min in the waiting line. When I finally got to speak with someone was a super rude person - but I guess it just makes the experience more authentic, right?
My appointment was for a month and a half, at 11:15.
On the day, as suggested, I got to the Farringdon address some minutes before the consulate opens at 9am and queued. It was fast, by 9:05 I was already inside. And since my appointment wasn't til 11am, they asked me to come back maximum 10min before. I wonder if you get there 30min before they might allow you inside?
So I went for a coffee and a stroll and came back precisely 10min before. I waited for 1h20 until I was finally called by a very nice man. My Italian is pretty basic but everyone was ok speaking English with me (I am a dual national and like many I was born and raised in Brazil). He collected my form, pictures and old passport and said my marriage wasn't yet registered (I ticked the married box, for some reason they ask you this) and was important to do so. So I had to sign saying single where he crosssed and wrote married. I signed the form confirming my details were correct. Last step is to pay: took 30 min to be called to the cashier to pay (cash or British debit cards only) and collect the passports, the old one (with a cut) too. I asked if I should keep the old and she said although it is not valid anymore, if I ever lose the new one it's a good proof of having a passport once.
All in all it was difficult but doable, so keep trying and do not despair. It's useless going there in person (the guy in front of me did it and he was sent home with a paper sheet saying to call and make an appointment). I was surprised of how everyone was polite during the visit, my last experience with the consulate in London and in São Paulo was quite the opposite.
Hope this helps!
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

cosmonaut786 is a jewel in the roughcosmonaut786 is a jewel in the roughcosmonaut786 is a jewel in the roughcosmonaut786 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Roz22
Thanks for that, I am taking two forms one with my Uk address and one with my house address in Italy, I now spend equal times betw
It should be your address in the UK, the registered one - I moved flats and forgot to update it within the consulate, so I used the old one and will update soon.
You do have a space where you can fill the town of your comune.
Remember, if you have registered your AIRE in London, it means you are a Italian living abroad and no longer have an address in Italy.
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

I have a Samsung phone and I downloaded an app called Auto Redial
Old Sep 25th 2018, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gents, apologies for hijacking but my query is on behalf of Italian national residing in the UK. His son's (who is 11 year old) Italian passport has expired and the father hasn't a clue as to what the process is, both are A.I.R.E registered.

Scanning this thread tells me that appointment is a must, and that you cant turn up at the embassy without the appointment. However he has shown me an email which he received from Vice Consolato (UK) that if he is A.I.R.E registered, he doesn't need an appointment. So, there seems to be a conflict from the advice given to him from the consulate as compared to what I understand from this thread.

He plans to go to Birmingham office for this, do they have passport renewal service there, or does he need to go to London?

Can you please advise/confirm on how to proceed.

Last edited by Tahir84; Sep 25th 2018 at 9:24 am.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tahir84
Gents, apologies for hijacking but my query is on behalf of Italian national residing in the UK. His son's (who is 11 year old) Italian passport has expired and the father hasn't a clue as to what the process is, both are A.I.R.E registered.

Scanning this thread tells me that appointment is a must, and that you cant turn up at the embassy without the appointment. However he has shown me an email which he received from Vice Consolato (UK) that if he is A.I.R.E registered, he doesn't need an appointment. So, there seems to be a conflict from the advice given to him from the consulate as compared to what I understand from this thread.

He plans to go to Birmingham office for this, do they have passport renewal service there, or does he need to go to London?

Forgot to add that the mother of the child is Non-EU citizen.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 7:26 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tahir84

Hi. Your friend should have a look at this page. The Birmingham consulate does do passports but they all work by telephone appointments only. The phone number can be found on this link too.
Prenotazione passaporto tramite gli Uffici consolari onorari
Old Sep 29th 2018, 9:34 am
Just Joined

ecoday is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if the Manchester Italian consulate has reopened? I was originally registered there(AIRE), then had to register in Liverpool when they closed. I am trying to renew my Italian passport. The Liverpool consulate website is saying it can’t be renewed. So I am a little confused as to how to renew it. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 8:54 am
Just Joined

rewodnelg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I have read most of the comments, I also need to renew my passport, my question is how do I know if I am registered AIRE? I presume I'm not as I didn't need to when I first got my Italian passport in 2005..it lapsed in 2015, and I was in the USA and didn't renew. IfI'm not AIRE, how do I register as I don't find much info ..

Thanks
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

londresgabriel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Do you guys know how long it takes to update the AIRE to London? I'm current living in Brazil and will be moving to London next month.

Here in Brazil that may take up to 180 days, so just expecting to be more quick in London. Any idea?

My Italian passport already expired, so I will get into UK with a 3 month work permit and need to have the AIRE updated and the Passport renewed during the 3 months period (if not, I will get illegal with my Brazilian passport so I will need to have somehow my work permit VISA extended).

Does someone know if its possible to get into UK with my expired passport and a Italian citzenship certificate ? In that case the work permit Visa will no longer be necessary and the company I will work for can use my NI number (created in 2004 when leaving in UK, based on my Italian passport) to be aligned with the UK Laws. Is that correct too?

Many thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.