British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Registration with Anagrafe office if not sure about staying (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/registration-anagrafe-office-if-not-sure-about-staying-838851/)

chaikhosi Jul 16th 2014 1:16 am

Registration with Anagrafe office if not sure about staying

Hi all!

My wife has a job in Italy which we think will last several years. Both of us are British, so we are entitled to live in Italy. I'd like to join her here, but only if I can either get a good professional job or start my own business. I've set aside 2 months, starting right now, to give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, I still have my job and flat in England to go back to in September.

I was thinking of a business providing home computer support to other expats, working in English. I work in IT support back home. From the number of foreigners here it does seem like there's a market, but I don't want to embark on an expensive and complicated registration process before I know I can make it pay.

In the short term I'd like to get a bar job while I'm doing that. I don't speak much Italian yet but I'm learning, and it seems like lots of foreigners in the same position are able to find jobs.

So a few questions if anyone knows please:

Can I work in a bar here as a nonresident EU citizen, and should I look for work before or after I register as living here?

Am I likely to get in trouble with the fiscal police if I do a few computer support jobs without setting up a business or registering for tax? I plan to do things properly if there's a market, but need to find that out first.

Will registering with the Anagrafe cause problems if I give up and go home in 2 months, such as an Italian tax bill for my work in England?

Will I be expected to sign on as unemployed, until I officially have an income? I'd really rather not, if I can avoid it. Going straight from the airport to the dole office is pretty bad in any country.

Lorna at Vicenza Jul 16th 2014 1:41 am

Re: Registration with Anagrafe office if not sure about staying

Originally Posted by moyabrit (Post 11338068)

Will I be expected to sign on as unemployed, until I officially have an income? I'd really rather not, if I can avoid it. Going straight from the airport to the dole office is pretty bad in any country.

Hello and welcome.

There is no unemployment benefit here for you nor any kind of job seekers so you can scratch that question off your list.

In order to even be eligible to request residency in the town hall you will need to provide proof of funds, enough to keep yourself here and also private health insurance (or be legally employed by an Italian company).

People who prepare food for others in Italy need to have a certificate proving they have done something like a food hygiene course. This doesn't apply to waiters and bar staff if they only serve the food and do not prepare it. Most bar staff do have this certificate as they handle the sandwiches etc.

Business costs are very expensive here and so are the taxes and the health care contributions you'd have to pay as a self employed person. You'd need an accountant. There are ways of doing computer one off jobs without having a VAT number, but that limits you to earnings of 5.000 euro or less per year.

Why not stay for the 3 months that you can and see what's out there before making any permanent decisions?

chaikhosi Jul 16th 2014 2:29 am

Thanks Lorna!

My wife earns enough to support me for a few months, if need be, and I think she can get me covered on her health insurance. Is that enough for registration?

Do you think a British food safety certificate would be any use? There are online courses for those that I could do from Italy.

Can you recommend an up to date book on the business and tax requirements?

I think you're probably right and I will end up going home in September, but I'll definitely try to make this work. Nothing much to lose, as far as I can see.

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 11338095)
In order to even be eligible to request residency in the town hall you will need to provide proof of funds

People who prepare food for others in Italy need to have a certificate proving they have done something like a food hygiene course.

There are ways of doing computer one off jobs without having a VAT number, but that limits you to earnings of 5.000 euro or less per year.

chaikhosi Jul 16th 2014 4:19 am

Just another quick one please. Is a printed CV normally expected for basic tourist industry jobs, or can i just walk into places and ask for the manager? If I need CVs, I'll find a place to get some printed tomorrow.

Should I try to write one in Italian, leaning heavily on Google Translate, or is English ok for this sort of thing?

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 11338095)
waiters and bar staff

gioppino Jul 16th 2014 8:01 pm

If your wife is registered as resident in Italy and working, you, as EU citizen, need no private health insurance, you're covered by your wife. You have the right to be registered in the Anagrafe, no questions asked, regardless of what the Comune says.

With regards to business, many Italians work cash in hand, The likelihood that you get caught is minimal, but of you do get caught, it's tough.

A CV in Italy, especially for contractors and businessmen, is not essential. If you need to write a CV use the Europass template (in Italian). You have a template to follow, so it's easier.

I have used linguee.it to translate my CV into Dutch. It was a painful process but the result was ok. Don't forget to let somebody check it before sending it.

A good way to learn Italian and be up to date with tax deadlines, etc, is to read Il Sole 24 Ore every day, especially the Monday edition.

LCFC1986 Jul 28th 2014 3:52 am

Originally Posted by gioppino (Post 11338910)
If your wife is registered as resident in Italy and working, you, as EU citizen, need no private health insurance, you're covered by your wife. You have the right to be registered in the Anagrafe, no questions asked, regardless of what the Comune says.

With regards to business, many Italians work cash in hand, The likelihood that you get caught is minimal, but of you do get caught, it's tough.

A CV in Italy, especially for contractors and businessmen, is not essential. If you need to write a CV use the Europass template (in Italian). You have a template to follow, so it's easier.

I have used linguee.it to translate my CV into Dutch. It was a painful process but the result was ok. Don't forget to let somebody check it before sending it.

A good way to learn Italian and be up to date with tax deadlines, etc, is to read Il Sole 24 Ore every day, especially the Monday edition.

Hi,

I am in the same situation however I am not married, Does the same rule apply?

Sorry to the original user who created this for hijacking it by the way.

Thanks in advance

37100 Jul 28th 2014 4:51 am

Originally Posted by LCFC1986 (Post 11350323)
Hi,

No.

gioppino Jul 28th 2014 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by LCFC1986 (Post 11350323)
Hi,

Which rule? If you're an EU citizen and you come to Italy with the intention of studying or working, you're subject to the same rules as other EU citizens.

LCFC1986 Jul 28th 2014 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by gioppino (Post 11350922)
Which rule? If you're an EU citizen and you come to Italy with the intention of studying or working, you're subject to the same rules as other EU citizens.

Me and my partner are moving to Italy, he is employed and I'm not. We are a same sex couple so I guess that I am not entitled to the same health care he is?

37100 Jul 28th 2014 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by LCFC1986 (Post 11350941)
Me and my partner are moving to Italy, he is employed and I'm not. We are a same sex couple so I guess that I am not entitled to the same health care he is?

As I said, no. Italy does not recognise unmarried couples. Or same sex unions - at least for the time being.

gioppino Jul 29th 2014 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by LCFC1986 (Post 11350941)

I have read this topic frequently on Italian forums. The opinion there differs from the one expressed here. In my opinion, once the local Comune accepts your registration in the Anagrafe, you should have full access to the health system. If you decide not to register at all because you're not sure if you stay or not, you won't have any health coverage, regardless of whether you're married or not.

modicasa Jul 29th 2014 8:10 pm

it depends on your comune - Bologna is much more advanced regarding same sec couples than other places. Otherwise it can depend on your partners employers. Otherwise you are in a diffuclt situation as there is no legal recognition for same sex couples at national level, only at local level. This means that you will have no entitlement to healthcare as a dependent of your partner. Unless things change very quickly....

37100 Jul 29th 2014 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by gioppino (Post 11352268)
In my opinion, once the local Comune accepts your registration in the Anagrafe, you should have full access to the health system.

And, as we've said umpteen times since the law changed several years ago, there lies the problem - getting the commune to accept your registration without proof of healthcare cover of some kind.

Lorna at Vicenza Jul 30th 2014 7:41 am

Originally Posted by gioppino (Post 11352268)
I have read this topic frequently on Italian forums. The opinion there differs from the one expressed here. In my opinion, once the local Comune accepts your registration in the Anagrafe, you should have full access to the health system. If you decide not to register at all because you're not sure if you stay or not, you won't have any health coverage, regardless of whether you're married or not.

Frankly, your opinion is old and outdated. All the rules changed in 2007 when Italy had to finally eliminate the "permesso di soggiorno" for EU members.

gioppino Jul 30th 2014 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 11353018)
Frankly, your opinion is old and outdated. All the rules changed in 2007 when Italy had to finally eliminate the "permesso di soggiorno" for EU members.

The fact the Permesso di Soggiorno has been abolished doesn't change the fact:
- Within the first 3 months: You are covered by the EHIC of your country of origin;
- After 3 months you're allowed to join the SSN if you or your family has a job or studies.

To join the SSN you go to the local ASL with your self certification of residence. The ASL might or might not ask additional documents (proof that you work or study, etc). That's where the difference lies.

You are still entitled to urgent treatment even if you have no health insurance of any kind.