British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   question about rentals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/question-about-rentals-845419/)

Beasty Oct 19th 2014 6:12 pm

question about rentals

A friend of mine has been today told by her landlord that she has to leave at the end of this month! short notice I would suggest as she was meant to be here until the end of FEB for a total of 6 months.

Anyway, she never signed a contract and the landlord is telling her that she needs to pay electric (this was not agreed before hand and obviously there is no meter reading etc as she never signed anything that would show this)

Is there anything that can be done in this situation as it seems like the landlord is just going to kick her out and keep her deposit too All payments were made through paypal so the payments can at least be proven.

Any advice or should she simply look for a new flat asap (Last comment from her was that she is going back to the BEEPING UK AND BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP etc)

ta

37100 Oct 19th 2014 6:48 pm

Re: question about rentals

Originally Posted by Beasty (Post 11443400)
A friend of mine has been today told by her landlord that she has to leave at the end of this month! short notice I would suggest as she was meant to be here until the end of FEB for a total of 6 months.

Anyway, she never signed a contract and the landlord is telling her that she needs to pay electric (this was not agreed before hand and obviously there is no meter reading etc as she never signed anything that would show this)

Is there anything that can be done in this situation as it seems like the landlord is just going to kick her out and keep her deposit too All payments were made through paypal so the payments can at least be proven.

Any advice or should she simply look for a new flat asap (Last comment from her was that she is going back to the BEEPING UK AND BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP etc)

ta

Tell here to tell the landlord that she is stay put until Feb and if he/she doesn't like it she will be notifying the Guardia di Finance and then he/she will never get her out!

Beasty Oct 19th 2014 8:53 pm

? would that even work?

I mean surely they will just kick her out, why on earth would they not ? (Playing devils advocate) I do not see how she can stay at all ? can you explain? To be fair, i do not think staying is priority number 1 now but having to find an alternative solution at such short notice is almost impossible especially with them holding a deposit that looks unlikely to be returned!

modicasa Oct 20th 2014 5:19 am

If the landlord put her in a flat with no contract, she can legitimatly report him to the GdF who will take him to the cleaners, and give her a secure contract. Even if she doesnt go that far, she should use it as a threat to the landlord, who has acted illegally in renting a flat for over 30 days with no registered contract.

Sancho Oct 20th 2014 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Beasty (Post 11443400)

ta

I have a feeling that legally a lot may depend on when she moved in, how long she's been there already, and how long she will have been there at the end of the month.

37100 Oct 20th 2014 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Sancho (Post 11443849)
I have a feeling that legally a lot may depend on when she moved in, how long she's been there already, and how long she will have been there at the end of the month.

The poster said that she will be staying 6mnths until the end of Feb. That means that she has been there for more than a month and already paid 2. She doesn't even have to have lived there. The GdF love these cases.

Beasty Oct 20th 2014 9:10 am

Thank you

So she sent off an email to the GDF, hopefully they reply today. .it was sent to their general emailer asking for general advice.

She also emailed the landlord, telling him she was not happy and that she is looking for advice and is waiting for the GDA to respond.

37100 Oct 20th 2014 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Beasty (Post 11443920)
Thank you

So she sent off an email to the GDF, hopefully they reply today. .it was sent to their general emailer asking for general advice.

She also emailed the landlord, telling him she was not happy and that she is looking for advice and is waiting for the GDA to respond.

Good for her! I'm sick of Italians moaning about the state of Italy yet they evade taxes at a drop of a hat.

marcuzzo Oct 20th 2014 9:35 am

Maybe they avoid taxes because they are so high, and that they are wasted on god only knows what....if there was something palpable for the 50-55% taxes paid, the evasion would (possibly) be less.

37100 Oct 20th 2014 10:38 am

Originally Posted by marcuzzo (Post 11443943)
Maybe they avoid taxes because they are so high, and that they are wasted on god only knows what....if there was something palpable for the 50-55% taxes paid, the evasion would (possibly) be less.

And if everyone paid their dues maybe taxes could be lowered.

Isakat Oct 20th 2014 12:42 pm

You are both right, it is a vicious circle, but a lot has to do with mentality. If you pay your taxes here you are silly, if you avoid them, you are clever-furbo......

And, yes, not having transparency makes people not wanting to pay taxes, as they think their money is wasted, which is possibly true.

modicasa Oct 21st 2014 4:48 am

person who has spare house to rent out needs to not pay his tax to survive?

primularossa Oct 21st 2014 6:22 am

Originally Posted by marcuzzo (Post 11443943)

that "wasted money" pays the salary of many many services and of many many civil servants that do their job every day. You don't realise how much do you need these services until you miss them.

Go and visit countries where people don't pay taxes but where there are NO public services at all: no public schools no public hospital not even a register of the population at the municipality offices. Not even municipality offices.
Ask non-tax payers if they send their children to private schools only and if they go to private hospitals. Than we can talk about paying taxes.
it is true, Italy could do better and could use money better. But non payers damage all the society. Included themselves.

ononno Oct 21st 2014 7:08 am

Originally Posted by primularossa (Post 11444842)
that "wasted money" pays the salary of many many services and of many many civil servants that do their job every day. You don't realise how much do you need these services until you miss them.

Go and visit countries where people don't pay taxes but where there are NO public services at all: no public schools no public hospital not even a register of the population at the municipality offices. Not even municipality offices.
Ask non-tax payers if they send their children to private schools only and if they go to private hospitals. Than we can talk about paying taxes.
it is true, Italy could do better and could use money better. But non payers damage all the society. Included themselves.

You are right up to a point; but the 'many many' public servants is far too many; and the 'many many services' are mainly inefficient, and many useless and unecessary.
bye bye dicette l'inglese

primularossa Oct 21st 2014 7:21 am

Ononno, you are right. But this should incentive us to do better and to ask the public administration to do better, controlling them, participating to public life, denouncind inefficiencies, going to vote, and so on, not to avoid paying taxes.
there are many public services /servants who are inefficient, but there are many good ones.