British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Quarantine (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/quarantine-939369/)

Seldomseenkid Jul 3rd 2021 7:01 am

Quarantine

Hi Everyone

Next week we are driving to Italy. We will obviously have to quarantine for five days and have no problem with that but how does that work with an overnight stay? We will be getting an early shuttle and aim to make it to northern Italy for the night. Do we have to do anything special for our stopover and when we get home how do we go about shopping for food? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Plan B Jul 3rd 2021 8:23 am

Re: Quarantine

If you've not done so already, this remarkably straight forward Italian government site (in English, too) could help.

Seldomseenkid Jul 13th 2021 1:33 pm

Just in case anyone else is thinking of doing this I should say it all went very well. We uploaded the requested documents to the Euroshuttle web site. We told them we were vaccinated but it was never checked and the French checked nothing. We completed the EU people locator which was a bit of a faff but no one checked it at the Swiss border all they wanted was the money for the vignette. At the Italian border we were just waived through and the hotel we stayed at on our first night weren't interested. When we arrived home we reported our presence to the health people in Lazio and they arranged for tests for us today which were negative and so we are free from midnight. I am actually pleasantly surprised by how normal things are but at the back of my mind is the fear that the delta variant may cause problems if countries don't get on with their vaccination programs.

brian12 Jul 13th 2021 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid (Post 13028806)
Just in case anyone else is thinking of doing this I should say it all went very well. We uploaded the requested documents to the Euroshuttle web site. We told them we were vaccinated but it was never checked and the French checked nothing. We completed the EU people locator which was a bit of a faff but no one checked it at the Swiss border all they wanted was the money for the vignette. At the Italian border we were just waived through and the hotel we stayed at on our first night weren't interested. When we arrived home we reported our presence to the health people in Lazio and they arranged for tests for us today which were negative and so we are free from midnight. I am actually pleasantly surprised by how normal things are but at the back of my mind is the fear that the delta variant may cause problems if countries don't get on with their vaccination programs.

Thanks for that info.We will be doing the same soon,driving 10 hrs nonstop to Como for 1 stopover and then 1 night in Orvieto.Hopefully that will be OK.dId you have a UK car?What plates did you have to use,I read something about new UK plates and GB not allowed,cheers,Brian.

jesnj Jul 13th 2021 7:32 pm

Thanks for the info. very helpful as we are leaving UK for Italy this Thursday morning.

brian12 Jul 14th 2021 7:23 am

Originally Posted by jesnj (Post 13028945)
Thanks for the info. very helpful as we are leaving UK for Italy this Thursday morning.

Please let us know your outcome.I have no concerns about quarantine,it's just getting to Calabria with stopovers.Brian.

Lorna at Vicenza Jul 14th 2021 8:21 am

Curiosity. Have you peeps been NHS or Italy jabbed?
A friend told me the other day that our EU Digital Covid Certificates are not accepted in the UK, not yet anyway. I'm not planning on going back just yet but maybe I was stupid enough to presume that the whole world was working together to get us all vaccinated and not squabbling.

philat98 Jul 14th 2021 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 13029143)
A friend told me the other day that our EU Digital Covid Certificates are not accepted in the UK, not yet anyway. I'm not planning on going back just yet but maybe I was stupid enough to presume that the whole world was working together to get us all vaccinated and not squabbling.

The certificate you get from the ASL could be copied by a child. May be the green card is more convincing.

heritagestanley Jul 14th 2021 10:36 am

As from 19 July people travelling to the UK who have been double-vaccinated by the NHS won't have to quarantine. Your friend is right: for the time being other double-vaccinated people (including British citizens) will still have to quarantine. I hope that all this will change quickly. It's hard to know whether the UK Government's line is based on nothing more than ideology (= anything run by the EU is untrustworthy) or is somehow part of a negotiation to get the EU to agree that the NHS App confirming vaccination status is equivalent to the EU Green Pass. Either way it's incredibly annoying

C.2s Jul 14th 2021 11:00 am

Originally Posted by heritagestanley (Post 13029188)
As from 19 July people travelling to the UK who have been double-vaccinated by the NHS won't have to quarantine. Your friend is right: for the time being other double-vaccinated people (including British citizens) will still have to quarantine. I hope that all this will change quickly. It's hard to know whether the UK Government's line is based on nothing more than ideology (= anything run by the EU is untrustworthy) or is somehow part of a negotiation to get the EU to agree that the NHS App confirming vaccination status is equivalent to the EU Green Pass. Either way it's incredibly annoying

Agreed.

The official certificate that you get on the app on your phone would be very difficult to forge (not impossible but nothing is). So I don't think the level of security can really be an issue. And it's issued in Italian and English, so there's no real problem understanding the info contained in it. The vaccines that are authorised in the UK and Italy are the same...though maybe there is an issue with vaccines that are being used in other parts of the EU (Sputnik in San Marino or Hungary)...but it says which vaccine you have had very clearly on the certificate. It does just seem that the UK government doesn't have the will/desire to allmake it happen.

And as you say, it's incredibly annoying. I know a lot of British expat friends are desperate to visit friends & relatives, and are near breaking point at the moment. So if you're coming here on holiday, I think we're all pleased for you, and for the fact that some sort of normality is returning, but maybe you should just tread carefully before you say how easy it is to travel and how nobody checks your documents :-)

Seldomseenkid Jul 14th 2021 11:12 am

Originally Posted by brian12 (Post 13028839)
Thanks for that info.We will be doing the same soon,driving 10 hrs nonstop to Como for 1 stopover and then 1 night in Orvieto.Hopefully that will be OK.dId you have a UK car?What plates did you have to use,I read something about new UK plates and GB not allowed,cheers,Brian.

We have the old GB plates on our car but we also put a GB sticker in the back window. We were careful to ensure that we had followed all the rules and so it went well. Anyone who wants to visit should not hesitate, but of course the rules are changing all the time However I was impressed by the effeciency of the Lazio health authority organising free test appointments for us.

brian12 Jul 14th 2021 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid (Post 13029198)
We have the old GB plates on our car but we also put a GB sticker in the back window. We were careful to ensure that we had followed all the rules and so it went well. Anyone who wants to visit should not hesitate, but of course the rules are changing all the time However I was impressed by the effeciency of the Lazio health authority organising free test appointments for us.

Cheers,Brian.

Seldomseenkid Jul 14th 2021 11:19 am

NHS jabbed AstraZenca for me, Pfizer for my other half and we have the app on the phone. We had the antigen test the day before we left so we obeyed all the rules. I don't know if the EU covid certs are accepted in the UK but it would seem stupid if they are not but then again we are talking about governments so who knows. I am sure they will get their act together though.

brian12 Jul 14th 2021 11:24 am

Double jabbed UK.Having read that Malta refused the phone certificate I went online and got the paper one which has a barcode and all the details of jabs.Belt and braces now,lol.NHS pretty efficient,only took 3 days in the post.

Pollyana Jul 14th 2021 12:07 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-57665765For the moment, fully vaccinated British expats and EU nationals arriving from amber-listed EU countries have to self-isolate for 10 days.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps says the government is "actively working" on ways of letting fully-vaccinated British expats and foreign nationals arrive in England from amber countries without the need for self-isolation.

He says he hopes to say more in the next couple of weeks.

Hang in there Lorna, at least you will be home years before me!