Reload this Page >

Purchasing a motorcycle, insurance question

Purchasing a motorcycle, insurance question

Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

chaciak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Purchasing a motorcycle, insurance question

Hey guys,
Have you ever insured a vehicle using UK driving license, or do i have to exchange it to italian first? I asked insured but he was not sure if this is possible, maybe one of you had an experiance with this. I have all my residency and codice fiscale sorted.
Thanks
Old Jun 8th 2020, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Purchasing a motorcycle, insurance question

Originally Posted by chaciak
Hey guys,
Have you ever insured a vehicle using UK driving license, or do i have to exchange it to italian first? I asked insured but he was not sure if this is possible, maybe one of you had an experiance with this. I have all my residency and codice fiscale sorted.
Thanks
Certainly I did exactly that, though it was a car and also 15 years ago. In general, given that it is the vehicle that is insured here rather than the driver I can't see why the nationality of the licence should make any difference to the provision of insurance. What you are covered for could vary depending on such factors (for example 'fully comp' may be limited to over 25s - but the basic road-legal insurance applies to any legal driver. Analagous treatment may apply to foreign licence holders, or the excess may be different, etc.)

As far as exchanging your licence for an Italian one, obviously the Brexit word raises its ugly head here again - if you are now effectively resident here and are intending it to be permanent I'd recommend exchanging your licence for an Italian one asap while you know it's a quick and easy (by Italian standards) process. One thing almost guaranteed is that it won't get quicker, easier or cheaper after the end of the 'transition period'
Old Jun 9th 2020, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Serrano,
I am in the process in converting the driving license (thanks to COVID-19 got an appointement for 30th of July ) but was wandering if i can get in major troubles by lying about the license nationality. Insurer do ask if i have italian license and they not sure what to do when i said i have UK license. I may wait until the converion is over.
Old Jun 9th 2020, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chaciak
Thanks Serrano,
I am in the process in converting the driving license (thanks to COVID-19 got an appointement for 30th of July ) but was wandering if i can get in major troubles by lying about the license nationality. Insurer do ask if i have italian license and they not sure what to do when i said i have UK license. I may wait until the converion is over.
Sorry, misunderstood your original post - when you said you had asked "the insured" I assumed you meant the previous owner.

It does all seem a bit strange, but no way should you lie to the insurer. I suspect that the legal-minimum insurance may well still be vaid as long as the lies were about you rather than the bike, but I really, really wouldn't want to depend on that. You would probably end up with a substantial fine, as well as possibly being banned from riding for a non-trivial period.

You could simply try another insurer, who may be more accomodating (you can aways change next year if they are too pricy). Someone with UK affiliiations like Verti (used to be Direct Line) or someone mentioned another company in another thread here in the last month or so. Or if you're buying new, throw the problem at the dealer.

Another thing you need to be aware of is that the default after you have converted your licence is that you seem to then be considered as "newly qualified", with all the restrictions that come with it. This seems utterly illogical, but may be justified by the fact that you don't (or more accurately most immigrants don't) have broad experience of riding/driving in Italy. Apart from the fact that points for infractions are doubled for the first years (2 years for cars, 3 years for bikes), I believe that there are also restrictions on the speed you can ride at (significantly lower than national levels) and the alcohol limit (effectively zero). I also don't know enough about bikes to know what category your licence would be converted to (AM, A1, A2 or A/A3)

If you read Italian this article may help.

I wish I could say it was simple, but I can't. Welcome to Italy.
Old Jun 9th 2020, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

In the 10 years in Italy our insurance was with a UK licence.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you can get in trouble if you lie. For a start if you get pulled over the police will have the vehicle insured with an italian licence which you wouldnt have. so they would throw the book at you.
Convertyour licence to an Italian one before December otherwise in all probability you will have to retake your driving test here - theory (in Italian) and practical.

Having said all of that, you can insure a car/bike with a foreign licence easily. If you'redoing it all online then you will have problems because most sites don't list the option. I think Admiral does, and Direct Line (Italy). If you go to a broker then its no problem.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks guy's,
This is very helpful. I did not know that after conversion i will be considered a newly qualified driver. I do need to convert it tho for the obvious reson of brexit. Im not worries about car license as i just only got it but i had full motorcycle license for the past 7 years. I have no intentions of lying ti insurer.
PS. sorry about misspeling insurer