Reload this Page >

Private health insurance?

Private health insurance?

Old Oct 28th 2020, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

amanda_wj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private health insurance?

Ciao folks,

We've just arrived and secures a rental and are in the process of getting our ducks in a line to go to the anagrafe to applying for residency.

As we are not working we will need to either have private health insurance or contribute to our ASL voluntarily. As the ASL runs 1st Jan to 31st Dec and it's based on your last years' income we'd be looking at paying just over 5000 euro and then having to pay that again in Jan. Happy to pay next year for the year but paying 5000 euro for 2 months seems silly.

So, I am looking for recommendations for reasonably priced private health insurance?

On a side note, I found the 'Welcome Association Italy (WAI) who seem to be offering basic insurance for 380 euro for a year. but applying the 'if it seems to good to be true' rule I am a little wary. Has anyone heard of or used the WAI?

Grazie!
Old Oct 28th 2020, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private health insurance?

€5000 sounds an awful lot for ASL! There was a post on another forum recently where someone was saying they had been quoted €400/person by Generali. So perhaps it's not too far our at 380, which is by the way around what I would have expected from ASL, but I'm sure I read it varied in different regions.
Old Oct 28th 2020, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Geordieborn. That's really helpful. Might just go to Generali direct.

I also thought the ASL would be about that. I will double-check! But as we're not working and would be opting into the system it's on a sliding scale and based on our last years' annual income. We had OK jobs back in the UK but are now not working while we get our residency sorted and look for somewhere to buy so looking to minimise our outgoings until we're earning again.
Old Oct 28th 2020, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

The SSN voluntary contributes are based on income. The minimum is Euro388. If you are in good health it might be better to go for private health insurance.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...h0Y3jzXIlxp7Um

Last edited by philat98; Oct 28th 2020 at 7:38 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2020, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Philat98. Yep that's what I thought and had worked out. Will definitely look at private!