Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Pre-school System

Pre-school System

Old Jun 28th 2018, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Misanimmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pre-school System

I am about to complete the purchase of a home in Avigliano Umbro, Umbria (early August). The house is a 15 minute walk to a scuola dell’infanzia which I have not visited on previous visits (rather stupidly). I have a son who will turn 3 at the end of August and I would like him to attend their all day program. I am currently living in the US where you have to be on waiting lists for years. Is there a chance they will not have room for him in the school and turn him away? How do I register him? What do I need to do when I arrive in Italy in a few weeks? What are the typical dates for the school year? What are the chances that a teacher might speak a tiny bit of English. I will be enrolling in intensive Italian one Todi once I get my son sorted but until then my Italian is non existent, any help/advice is appreciated!
Old Jun 29th 2018, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre-school System

Are you American? If so will you be resident, have you a permesso di soggiorno and for what type of soggiorno? Schools restart around 12 September, perhaps a bit earlier in the north.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 6:45 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Misanimmer
I am about to complete the purchase of a home in Avigliano Umbro, Umbria (early August). The house is a 15 minute walk to a scuola dell’infanzia which I have not visited on previous visits (rather stupidly). I have a son who will turn 3 at the end of August and I would like him to attend their all day program. I am currently living in the US where you have to be on waiting lists for years. Is there a chance they will not have room for him in the school and turn him away? How do I register him? What do I need to do when I arrive in Italy in a few weeks? What are the typical dates for the school year? What are the chances that a teacher might speak a tiny bit of English. I will be enrolling in intensive Italian one Todi once I get my son sorted but until then my Italian is non existent, any help/advice is appreciated!
Hi,don't worry about the language, your son will pick up Italian in no time (at his peers' level), and will be all prepared for learning to read and write, Grammar, etc... when he goes up to Primary.
Some one who has started off young children in Italian Infants will come along to advise, but if Italy is anything like France, you enrol at the Town Hall, armed with your IDs, child's birth certificate and Vaccination Certificates, and justification of domicile (in your case Property Deed, Utility bills).
HTH
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

The first question to ask is if the school concerned is part of the state system or if it is privately run , the second is to to ask if it has any spare places for september everything will flow from there. In my experience nursery school places are acquired by filling in the forms and going on the waiting list in January , but things maybe very different in Umbria .
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Misanimmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
The first question to ask is if the school concerned is part of the state system or if it is privately run , the second is to to ask if it has any spare places for september everything will flow from there. In my experience nursery school places are acquired by filling in the forms and going on the waiting list in January , but things maybe very different in Umbria .
thanks! It is a state school, in your experience does this mean he is more or less likely to get a place in September
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 3:12 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

thanks! It is a state school, in your experience does this mean he is more or less likely to get a place in September
I would contact them immediately since they'll be breaking up soon, if they haven't already done so, and the Head might not be available. It really depends on how many 3-year-olds there are in the town, and he/she's best placed to know how many are enrolled and whether they can fit your son in. If it's like France, the Town Hall deals with the Admin. side, but the Head has the final decision....
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

In this case you need to find out as soon as you can if the school has places free and fill in the appropriate forms which are probably on the local website . If the school is over subscribed then they may have a waiting list . If your child doesnt get a place then start looking for alternative play groups in the area.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 7:23 am
Just Joined

phagohar is an unknown quantity at this point

Pre-school training isn't mandatory in Italy. In any case, around 95 for each penny of youngsters go to some type of nursery or pre-elementary school and the nation's pre-school instruction is universally perceived as truly outstanding on the planet.