practicalities of moving to italy

Wikiposts

practicalities of moving to italy

Old Jun 26th 2015, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

scottishgirl_spanishboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default practicalities of moving to italy

Hi there,
I am planning on moving to Italy with my boyfriend. He is from Spain and i'm from Scotland.
We want to live there for a year or hopefully more. I am undergoing a TEFL course and would hopefully be able to find a job. IS it more practical to find a job first then find somewhere to live. Looking at renting for a while before considering buying.
Are landlords less likely to rent to young people even if we could provide proof of income?
How much would you suggest we have before moving?
I just need as much information as i can get.
We have been to rome, bologna, pisa, lucca, arezzo, ortebello but florence was definitely our favourite.

Thank you
Old Jun 29th 2015, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: practicalities of moving to italy

How are the job prospects ?
Old Jun 29th 2015, 5:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I am only replying for lack of other replies, at least so far.

Everything I have read and heard is that TEFL jobs are few and far between in Italy, and when they do exist, they are part time and poorly paid. Therefore I doubt that your plan is likley to succeed if you getting a TEFL job is your primary plan for work and income.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 5:44 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am only replying for lack of other replies, at least so far.

Everything I have read and heard is that TEFL jobs are few and far between in Italy, and when they do exist, they are part time and poorly paid. Therefore I doubt that your plan is likley to succeed if you getting a TEFL job is your primary plan for work and income.
Yes I think that is partially right Pulaski, there is a demand for madrelingua TEFL here in Italy but the pay isn't great and the hours can be variable.

Buying somewhere on TEFL pay will be next to impossible and you might have to share an apartment depending on where you go.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Thank you for replying. There are a few offers, most say full time but don't mention the pay that is depended on my qualifications. Do Italians classify part-time and full time differently to the UK? I am hoping to be working around 30 hours, how much do you think that would pay?
My boyfriend is looking at tour guide/ agency work, is this more of a well paid industry?
If you had two jobs for example I did a little waitressing once my Italian improves, how does the tax work over there?

Thanks again.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:07 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishgirl_spanishboy
Thank you for replying. There are a few offers, most say full time but don't mention the pay that is depended on my qualifications. Do Italians classify part-time and full time differently to the UK? I am hoping to be working around 30 hours, how much do you think that would pay?
My boyfriend is looking at tour guide/ agency work, is this more of a well paid industry?
If you had two jobs for example I did a little waitressing once my Italian improves, how does the tax work over there?

Thanks again.
Hi tour guides here are licensed by the City so not just something you can walk into.

have a read here for someone's experience on TEFL teaching:

Teaching English in Rome

many expats start with TEFL and then move onto something better paying as their Italian develops....
Old Jun 29th 2015, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Florence probably has the highest number of qualified TEFL teachers in Italy It wont be easy, wages will be low and you must remember that jobs such as tour guides etc are governed by certificates and permissions that your boyfriend doesnt have. You will be taxed as two single peple and there is no real taxfree amount you can earn before the threshold kicks in. English schools pay poorly - and some are 'economical with the truth' when it comes to paying your contributions and tax. Seeing that everyone speaks english in Florence, why dont you think about going somewhere where people want to learn English, and where the cost of living is cheaper?
Old Jun 29th 2015, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Pinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Florence probably has the highest number of qualified TEFL teachers in Italy It wont be easy, wages will be low and you must remember that jobs such as tour guides etc are governed by certificates and permissions that your boyfriend doesnt have. You will be taxed as two single peple and there is no real taxfree amount you can earn before the threshold kicks in. English schools pay poorly - and some are 'economical with the truth' when it comes to paying your contributions and tax. Seeing that everyone speaks english in Florence, why dont you think about going somewhere where people want to learn English, and where the cost of living is cheaper?

I really don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm – it can be wonderful living in Italy – but unless you have a significant amount of capital behind you, you'd be very hard pressed to be in the position of buying a property in Italy if both of you are working as employees or freelancers in such relatively low paid sectors. If you're both starting out and plan to save for a deposit on a house while you're renting, you really need to do the maths first.

'Kosher' language schools in Italy that pay their teachers a living wage are few and far between, and the turnover of qualified teachers is high.

Good luck.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 12:07 am
Just Joined

Thank you!
Going by these comments our thoughts of buying have been set aside and is not our goal anymore.
Would it be sensible to look for a home based job before we arrive to ensure income? We are still young and so settling long term may not be what we end up doing. We are developing different options and once we come to realist ones your opinions will be very much needed. Thank you all for your help so far!
Old Jun 30th 2015, 12:27 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by scottishgirl_spanishboy
Thank you!
Going by these comments our thoughts of buying have been set aside and is not our goal anymore.
Would it be sensible to look for a home based job before we arrive to ensure income? We are still young and so settling long term may not be what we end up doing. We are developing different options and once we come to realist ones your opinions will be very much needed. Thank you all for your help so far!
What I would do if I were you is save as much money as you can before coming here to tide you over for a bit. Rent an apartment/room when you get here and then try and get jobs in waiting, barwork, TEFL whatever. If you are extremely persistent you will find something but I have to say there aren't lots of jobs to be had out here so persistnece will be key. Moreover, I recommend you don't burn any bridges back at home so you have a Plan B if it all goes pear-shaped.

You are young and ambitious so probably have nothing to lose by giving it a go.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

barnaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
What I would do if I were you is save as much money as you can before coming here to tide you over for a bit. Rent an apartment/room when you get here and then try and get jobs in waiting, barwork, TEFL whatever. If you are extremely persistent you will find something but I have to say there aren't lots of jobs to be had out here so persistnece will be key. Moreover, I recommend you don't burn any bridges back at home so you have a Plan B if it all goes pear-shaped.

You are young and ambitious so probably have nothing to lose by giving it a go.
I would agree completely with this. I came to Italy for the first time in my early twenties (granted, many years ago), and had a great year and a half teaching English and experiencing Italy. It's a great way to experience another country. Maybe it will work out longer term, in which case embrace it. If not, chalk it up to experience, and celebrate the good times that you had.

I would certainly agree to look at areas other than Florence that (i) will be cheaper and (ii) will offer better income prospects. However, I do understand the lure of the beautiful Firenze.