Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Post-Brexit: Old topic but any new answers?

Post-Brexit: Old topic but any new answers?

Old Jul 25th 2018, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Kevin_P is on a distinguished road
Default Post-Brexit: Old topic but any new answers?

In this moment of chaos, there are basically two outcomes for British people thinking of moving to Italy. 1. We retain our EU status until either March 2019 or until December 2020 (ie the end of the ‘transition period), or 2. We become non-EU from March 2019.Therefore, I’m exploring the process of application for residency from both perspectives.From an EU member perspective, how long would I need to have private health insurance before being able to transfer into the Italian healthcare system (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale)?From a non-EU perspective, how long would I need to have private health insurance before being able to transfer into the Italian healthcare system (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale)?

thanks for any advice
Old Jul 25th 2018, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post-Brexit: Old topic but any new answers?

Any new answers, no. As you know, absolutely nothing has been decided yet.

However, we should also clarify a bit. As far as I know the 5-year rule applies equally for non-working migrants from EU and non-EU countries, so absolutely no reason to think it will be any different for UK migrants after Brexit.

But the reality is that there is (unless the Comune wrongly decides otherwise) the need for Private Health Insurance for 12 months in order to to acquire residency. For the remaining four years I seem to remember that you are supposed to have PHI, but there is simply no mechanism for checking. Thus in reality you are on your own - you are covered for emergencies (as is everybody, but everybody) but for all other things you will need to pay. You can do this by having PHI or you can choose to shoulder the risk yourself (if you have deep enough pockets, or for example facilities in another country where you could go for treatment)
Old Jul 25th 2018, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Kevin_P is on a distinguished road

Hi Serrano. This is really helpful. I had assumed as EU, you could take out PHI then could transfer into the Servizio Sanitario Nazionale after a few months? Do you know at what stage this transfer might be possible? Also, as non EU. I assumed the Comune would want to see evidence of PHI on a annual basis - however you suggest this probably isn't the case?
Old Jul 25th 2018, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevin_P
Hi Serrano. This is really helpful. I had assumed as EU, you could take out PHI then could transfer into the Servizio Sanitario Nazionale after a few months?
No - unless you are working you would have to wait the full 5 years. Unless the local officials get it wrong, of course, but I think you'll find in this case it's extremely rare that they do. If you are working (regular, paying contributions etc) you go straight in.

Do you know at what stage this transfer might be possible?
As said, 5 years for non-workers.

Also, as non EU. I assumed the Comune would want to see evidence of PHI on a annual basis - however you suggest this probably isn't the case?
I've never heard of this happening even for non-EU migrants.

Of course, there are lots of other potential wrinkles for the future. The current system where the only requirement is to go to the Comune for residency is 100% based on the fact that we are EU. It's likely in the event of no-deal (and even possible with a deal) that UK migrants will have to go back to the old "Permesso di Soggiorno" regime, which is managed not by the Comune but by the local Questura. As I recall (it was a long time ago) the PdS had to be renewed yearly. That would then be a perfect opportunity to check PHI if they so chose.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for my SSN membership after 5 years residence and they (Comune) told me I couldn't have it because I could not show continuous employment in Italy. They wanted to see 5 years of payments to the AdiE and CUDS. I however later obtained it on the basis of my pending citizenship application.

Last edited by philat98; Jul 25th 2018 at 11:48 am.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philat98
I applied for my SSN membership after 5 years residence and they (Comune) told me I couldn't have it because I could not show continuous employment in Italy. They wanted to see 5 years of payments to the AdiE and CUDS. I however later obtained it on the basis of my pending citizenship application.
Different Comuni have had a tendency to interpret the rules differently, but (subjective opinion only) they seem to be getting better at getting it right

Two questions:
  1. When are we talking about? (since the rules do change moderately often)
  2. Why did you go to the Comune at all. My experience (13 years ago so not directly relevant to today's regime) was that you dealt directly with the ASL, but I have no recollection of that having changed.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I went about 6 months ago. What I wanted was the EU permanent residence document that is supposed to be Brexit proof. I will have a go at the Questura next week.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...e/index_en.htm
Old Jul 25th 2018, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philat98
I went about 6 months ago. What I wanted was the EU permanent residence document that is supposed to be Brexit proof. I will have a go at the Questura next week.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...e/index_en.htm
The certificate you're talking about is issued by your Comune, not the questura. You need to go to the Anagrafe and apply for it, they will tell you what supporting documentation you need. There is a small charge and I think you also need two Marche da Bollo (used to be about €16). You most definitely do not need to prove that you have been working - print out and take the Italian version of the EU rules which you'll find at https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...e/index_it.htm.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

We have never applied for our health card, but friends got their residency, went to the ASL and had their card a few weeks later. Think, like the comune, it depends where you live...
Old Jul 26th 2018, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

The comune of Prato publishes this in English: How to apply for an EU Long Term Residence Permit (ex Carta di Soggiorno) - Pratomigranti
Without a special agreement residence will be the same for Brits as any other Non-EU group - so Brits will need Permesso di Soggiorno for the first 5 years and then convert into long term residence after that time. 'Legal' residence here will imply tax returns, health insurance etc. Your PdS will have to be applied for under residenza elettiva, unless you are working and you have a work contract.

However, all of this depends on what Britain decides for Italians in the UK - the law of reciprocity applies, and then chuck Salvini into the mix.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
We have never applied for our health card, but friends got their residency, went to the ASL and had their card a few weeks later. Think, like the comune, it depends where you live...
Indeed it does, and also when they applied: I think the rules changed at about (or exactly?) the same time as the requirement for PHI to get residency. I would guess 8-10 years ago. Some areas may still not have caught up. They just need a bit of time
Old Jul 26th 2018, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

I have a friend here who is a US national and he finds the permesso di soggiorno system incredibly tiresome; it can take 4 or 5 months for it to be renewed each year, during which time he doesn't have a physical residence permit which has an impact on his ability to travel within the Schengen zone. I'm not entirely clear on whether this is because he's a US citizen and so presumably would need a visa if not a resident but it's definitely a source of frustration when you live in a border zone.

I'm relatively relaxed about our rights being maintained next year, though I am still of working age and have 3 years of tax returns to support a potential permesso di soggiorno application, so I realise I'm in a better situation than others.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

The current thinking is that Brits wont need a Schengen visa, but will have to go to the PO in the UK and buy a one time visa (for a fiver) every time they leave Blighty. Not sure how that will work, but thats the latest bright idea.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...ef=uk-homepage

Comments are disabled!
Old Jul 26th 2018, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

The next financial crisis might put a spanner in the Brexit and the EU works. Italy is the weakest European economy and it is hard to envisage another rescue with Salvini and Trump in command.

Last edited by philat98; Jul 26th 2018 at 7:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.