British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Pondering an Expat move to Genoa Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/pondering-expat-move-genoa-italy-721931/)

sim77 Jun 22nd 2011 7:47 am

Pondering an Expat move to Genoa Italy

Hi

My family (wife and two kids under 7) and I are pondering an expat move to Genoa for a 3 year period. I would like any tips or hints some of you more experienced guys can offer. Not noticed to much expat activity around Genoa? I am looking to live near Rapallo is anyone based in Rapallo?

Look forward to your replies soon I hope.

Best regards

turivano Jun 23rd 2011 10:07 am

Re: Pondering an Expat move to Genoa Italy

I think as I my thread about Turin it depends what 'expat' means in terms of finances and also what you want to get out of the experience.

Providing the financial side is sorted then I think if you have a genuine interest in living Italy you will be fine. Friendly people and a great area to explore. If you only want to speak english at english pool parties etc.... you will get very little out of lit.

Pecora Nera Jun 23rd 2011 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by turivano (Post 9451724)
I think as I my thread about Turin it depends what 'expat' means in terms of finances and also what you want to get out of the experience.

Providing the financial side is sorted then I think if you have a genuine interest in living Italy you will be fine. Friendly people and a great area to explore. If you only want to speak english at english pool parties etc.... you will get very little out of lit.

Genoa is lovely. I live in Alessandria south of Turin and Italy is a great experience. I still struggle with the language but I get by with broken Italian a bit of English and lots of mime / pointing.

If you have the chance to live in Italy take it. Work is difficult to find but not impossible. Paperwork and bureaucracy is taken to another level in Italy. lol

sim77 Jun 25th 2011 11:23 am

Thank you for the replies and encouragement. Certainly not planning to just sit by the pool speaking English! Job and finances are sorted. So it looks like we will probably go for it. Any tips or hints on integrating young children into a new home and culture?

nicktonight Jun 29th 2011 6:46 am

Hi Sim. I have been thinking of relocating to Genoa from Sicily for some time to be nearer my children and the UK. I have heard one or two bad things about the climate oddly enough (some kind of weird drizzly rain) and that Genoese are unwelcoming to foreigners so it is very hard to integrate. On the good side, rental accomodation seems cheap.Are these fact or fiction? Like Sim I would be grateful for some advice from an expat lving in Genoa

suncycle Jul 4th 2011 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by nicktonight (Post 9464135)
and that Genoese are unwelcoming to foreigners so it is very hard to integrate.

Yes I've heard that online as well, and that they can be particularly anti British. It was suggested that this might be because the British bombed them during WWII, though this would seem unreasonable in view of the, er, situation at the time. Anyone else heard this? I must say I really like Genoa and have never come across any problems on my short visits. The above Brit rumours also seem a bit odd as I gather that the Genoa football team deliberately uses that name rather than Genova because of its British roots.

chris120 Jul 4th 2011 5:22 pm

Ligurians are reputed (by other Italians) to be tight fisted, maybe thats where they give the unwelcoming impression

sim77 Dec 3rd 2011 2:20 pm

I know it's been a while but just to let you all know we are moving to Genova in Jan. Got great but expensive place close by to the international school in the end. I have also been working in Genova Monday to Friday every week since August and only ever found the people extremely welcoming and friendly. Will keep you posted on how get on in the new year.

Lorna at Vicenza Dec 3rd 2011 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by sim77 (Post 9768092)
I know it's been a while but just to let you all know we are moving to Genova in Jan. Got great but expensive place close by to the international school in the end. I have also been working in Genova Monday to Friday every week since August and only ever found the people extremely welcoming and friendly. Will keep you posted on how get on in the new year.

Best of luck with everything.

pugliese Dec 3rd 2011 4:30 pm

Only went to Genoa for the Boat show but remember a fantastic restaurant "I tre Merli" in the Porto Antico where the make all kinds of delicious focacce. It is near the Acquarium which is also worth a visit. Weather is also quite mild there. Didn't like the black sand. Welcome to the forum.

sim77 Dec 3rd 2011 5:20 pm

Tre Merli is excellent, I have been many times. I know what you mean about the sand!

Sirena Dec 4th 2011 5:31 pm

2 years ago I stayed for a short period in San Remo and loved it! Very pretty, such a great spot for access to France and Monaco by train! The coast is gorgeous, lots of whales and dolphins in the ligurian sea sanctuary. Stoney beaches are a negative but getting on a boat and hopping out to sea would be a fantastic weekend family treat!
Best of luck with the decision, and do let us know if you make the move!! :)

Ismum Jan 30th 2012 10:41 am

Hi Sim77, My husband may possibly be offered a job in Italy by his current company. Was originally going to be Milan but now looks like Genoa is a possibility. Not 100% sure if we are going yet but if you have any tips for a newbie in the area and how you're finding it, I would be interested to hear! We too have a young daughter ( nearly 5 ) Thanks and best of luck to you!

Mickey1 Apr 11th 2012 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by sim77 (Post 9448868)
Hi

My family (wife and two kids under 7) and I are pondering an expat move to Genoa for a 3 year period. I would like any tips or hints some of you more experienced guys can offer. Not noticed to much expat activity around Genoa? I am looking to live near Rapallo is anyone based in Rapallo?

Look forward to your replies soon I hope.

Best regards

Hi Sim77
We are serious contemplating a move to Liguria too. Probably Rapallo/Chiavari/Lavagna area. Our youngest child is 11 and we would send her to ISG. Would be really interested in hearing your views, both on life in Genoa and the ISG. Hope you have settled in well.