Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Pointless English

Pointless English

Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:52 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pointless English

Originally Posted by MarkRD
I'm just wondering how he actually said that.
Dove stai andando figliolo?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

'' mi sembra vogliamo stare easy e basic senza......'' I just got sent this concerning a document the writer is supposed to be producing .
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
Also this 'quantative easing'. I'm mother tongue English speaking, and don't know what it means really, imagine the average Italian. Sound about as uncomfortable as a large dose of laxative.
bye bye dicette l'inglese
agree - means bugger all in english - probably because the folks who invented it didn't want us to understand it - just be impressed by how our "betters" were being so ckever and taking care of us so well.

Makes you wonder if it could be an entertaining game to introduce a perfectly fake bit of us/brit/marketing waffle to italy and see if they fell for it in their desire to be modern.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Girls used trucco and not make-up

Ah, trucco - one of my favourite italian words - always found it funny but never bothered to analyse why - then my italian partner suggested that it may be because of the echo of stucco.

Rather gives you faith in the italian language, and humour.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speaking of bad translations: I expect everyone has seen Renzi's '12 Points' for La Buona Scuola in English ??? https://labuonascuola.gov.it/index_en/
Haven't yet read the translation but i am shocked by the fact that that seems to be from an italian gov website. Why did they even think it needed to be in English? And with that title, why even bother with the italian words buona scuola?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sunnysider

Ah, trucco - one of my favourite italian words - always found it funny but never bothered to analyse why - then my italian partner suggested that it may be because of the echo of stucco.

Rather gives you faith in the italian language, and humour.
I agree you just take names for things for granted in your own language and it is not till you have to translate them, that you actually analyse them e.g. make-up is trucco which also means trick and make-up could have come from making something up like a false mask, or a joke!
Old Jan 24th 2015, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough

Clickare, downloadare, badgare (for swiping work badge on entering place of work)
Also, when used, they seem to prefer the US English 'center' to the Brit English 'centre'. Centro??
Old Jan 24th 2015, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britaly00
Clickare, downloadare, badgare (for swiping work badge on entering place of work)
Also, when used, they seem to prefer the US English 'center' to the Brit English 'centre'. Centro??
I like it - and I'm intrigued! Are those Itanglish words they really use nowadays, or expressions used by Brit expats there?

In keeping with the title 'Pointless English', when communicating, perhaps the Italians should

Which makes me wonder, how exactly would one say, "I'm knocking 'em bandy!" in
Italian.......

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jan 24th 2015 at 6:08 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough

my business English students tell me they use these words.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

OMG are these people for real? Latest government tourism promotion for Expo 2015. 'Very Bello'. Franceschini bites the dust once again.
bye bye dicette l'inglese.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Saturday morning on the radio I heard all about the opening of ''' INCO STORE'' in Parma ...a whole shop dedicated to the needs of the incontinent and those with diverse urinary needs .
Old Jan 26th 2015, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ononno
OMG are these people for real? Latest government tourism promotion for Expo 2015. 'Very Bello'. Franceschini bites the dust once again.
bye bye dicette l'inglese.
Very bello ... just makes me cringe with embarassment. I suppose calling it 'Bellissimo' was out of the question (a word which even the most linguistically-ignorant of tourists understands)?

Francheschini boasting about how he is even launching his appeal for museum managers via The Economist (wow!) and then calling his project 'very bello' ..
Old Jan 26th 2015, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Do they do very heavily branded bags?

Not in the same league at all but

I remember maybe 3 decades ago seeing a shop calling itself a

Pulloveria
Old Jan 26th 2015, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

"pulloveria" fantastic!
Old Jan 26th 2015, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Very bello ... just makes me cringe with embarassment. I suppose calling it 'Bellissimo' was out of the question (a word which even the most linguistically-ignorant of tourists understands)?

Francheschini boasting about how he is even launching his appeal for museum managers via The Economist (wow!) and then calling his project 'very bello' ..
Missed this - anyone got a link?

At this rate i'll be seeing "expresso"

Still a fair few of those signs around britain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.