Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Pointless English

Pointless English

Old Jun 17th 2015, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pointless English

Originally Posted by sunnysider
Blus Zone Mondiali

Maybe it's a typo/mistake.

I hope so.
It probably is, because they got it right near the beginning of the article. But it's a bit of a mystery, I agree, with or without the "s":

World Blue Zone (English, singular)
World Blue Zones (English, plural)
Zona Blu Mondiale (Italian, singular)
Zone Blu Mondiali (Italian, plural)

None of these lead to "Blu(s) Zone Mondiali"...

EDIT: Sorry, I see that others had got their spoke in while I was writing that!

Last edited by jonwel; Jun 17th 2015 at 10:23 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

May be of interest:

Si può dire in italiano - Nuovo e utile | Teorie e pratiche della creatività.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sunnysider
I see they mention "apartheid", which is actually Afrikaans, not English!

I've heard Italians complain about the adoption of "email" and then others defend it saying it's far shorter than the Italian "posta elettronica". But actually the English is "electronic mail" abbreviated to "email"; there's no reason why the Italians can't say "e-posta" (or "posta-e"?).
One thing that annoys me is that they think "mail" means "email" and not post in general.

Another annoyance is the use of "relax" as a noun (and pronounced rèlax)!

Last edited by jonwel; Jun 23rd 2015 at 12:19 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jonwel
I see they mention "apartheid", which is actually Afrikaans, not English!

I've heard Italians complain about the adoption of "email" and then others defend it saying it's far shorter than the Italian "posta elettronica". But actually the English is "electronic mail" abbreviated to "email"; there's no reason why the Italians can't say "e-posta" (or "posta-e"?).
One thing that annoys me is that they think "mail" means "email" and not post in general.

Not to mention self-còntrol ... and cattering!!
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I see they mention "apartheid", which is actually Afrikaans, not English! .....
At some point a word adopted into English becomes an English word, surely?

I would have said that apartheid now qualifies as English, or do you want to exclude words like pyjamas, fiancé(e), and siesta as not being English either?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 23rd 2015 at 1:43 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

I agree 1000%!!
this is because they don't think of the meaning of the word "mail".
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 1:21 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I would have said that apartheid now qualifies as English, or do you want to exclude words like pyjamas, fiancé(e) and siesta as not being English either?
yep
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

I think it's just a case of common sense .. why use a 'foreign' word when you have a perfectly good one already available?

Half of the time they only use the English word to 'show off' then either pronounce it incorrectly, or use it wrongly. Or both.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I would have said that apartheid now qualifies as English, or do you want to exclude words like pyjamas, fiancé(e), and siesta as not being English either?
Well, I think a foreign word adopted into the English language becomes an English word, but I'm not sure that it's English for a nation that re-adopts it. For example, if the Italians adopted "fiancé", having heard English-speakers use it, I think they'd still consider it a French word.
The fact is that Italians are not familiar with South African history and many don't even imagine that "apartheid" comes from another language.

PS The Italians get the stress wrong in a lot of English words, but we get it wrong in most French words (e.g. "fiancé", appunto).

Last edited by jonwel; Jun 23rd 2015 at 3:12 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hmmm.. the point is also when is a word an 'English' word, and at what point does it become 'English'?!

Pizza is regularly used in English but I don't think you'd call it an 'English' word. Likewise chaise longue or strudel .. (food words seem to be the most common!)
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 3:14 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Hmmm.. the point is also when is a word an 'English' word, and at what point does it become 'English'?!

Pizza is regularly used in English but I don't think you'd call it an 'English' word. Likewise chaise longue or strudel .. (food words seem to be the most common!)
Bungalow isn't English either, we adopted it from the Gujarati.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Bungalow isn't English either, we adopted it from the Gujarati.
But I think that's far deeper-rooted in the English language than "apartheid".
Interesting that the Italian meaning of "bungalow" is nearer to the original. Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but aren't "bungalow" and "Bangalore" alternative English attempts to transcribe the place-name?

Last edited by jonwel; Jun 23rd 2015 at 3:42 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
..... Pizza is regularly used in English but I don't think you'd call it an 'English' word. .....
You think wrong.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

But I think that's far deeper-rooted in the English language than "apartheid".
At the risk of heading off into politics (well really basic human rights) jonwel, i think the word "apartheid" has been burned into the english language since the late 60s.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just pray that your fellow italians steer clear of "chillax", jonwel. Someone a bit younger than me tried to explain to me why it was such a useful word. But when they defined it, it meant no more than the perfectly good word "relax".

If one was mischievous of course with the sort of italian who uses english words to try to show off, one might be inclined to try to feed them some entirely spurious words, and then watch them catch on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.