Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Planning to move ...what are your top 3 tips?

Planning to move ...what are your top 3 tips?

Old Aug 26th 2018, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Incantatrice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning to move ...what are your top 3 tips?

Hi there

My husband and I are planning to move to Verona within the next 5 years.

Our plan is to sell our house in the UK, for me to find a job in Verona (I have some relatively desirable skills) then for us to come over and rent a place for 3 years and just set up a life.. stage 1. When we have acclimated and have all the basics in place and under control, we will buy a place somewhere between Valpolicella and Lake Garda which my husband begin to renovate. The long term aim is to have a b&b type business which I will use my background in marketing to promote to UK tourists.

My husband speaks some Italian and I speak almost none so we are now having lessons in earnest.

We have family in Trieste as my husband's father is Italian and they are helping and will continue to but I was keen to see if any Expats who have made the move could offer any advice please? Perhaps your top 3 tips of what to do when planning the move over and what to do after arriving?

Thank you
Old Aug 26th 2018, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move ...what are your top 3 tips?

1. Look at introductions on this forum and others similar to your own and then follow any of interest to see how they got on.
2. Look at the tax rates in Italy.
3. Have plan b-z

Best of luck whatever you end up doing
Old Aug 26th 2018, 8:56 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Normally, with the exception of language teachers, employers are hesitant to consider hiring anyone who isn't already resident locally.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 5:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
2. Look at the tax rates in Italy.
Hi Geordieborn

Thanks so much for your reply, can you recommend a gòod source of information I can visit to learn about the tax rates in Italy?

Thanks again
Old Aug 27th 2018, 5:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 37100
Normally, with the exception of language teachers, employers are hesitant to consider hiring anyone who isn't already resident locally.
Hi 37100

That's useful to know, thank you. So you recommend coming over to job hunt? We have an uncle who lives 1 hour outside the city so I could potentially give his address. Defo food for thought, thanks. Do you live in the region? Do you mind me asking what your biggest culture shock was?
Thanks again
Old Aug 27th 2018, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Sounds like you've got more of a plan than a lot of people.
I would just recommend finding out as much as you possibly can in advance. Where will you look for jobs/accommodation when you are "on the ground", how will you get things done (where to go to get the right bits of paper, etc.), what are the rules & regulations around property regulations and so on....
Basically, do whatever you can to avoid nasty surprises. Being an immigrant often reduces you to the level of a child, in that you don't know how the world around you works.
All of this will get easier as you learn more Italian, best of luck with that. I'd recommend seeing you can read the local Verona paper online, which will help you to improve your Italian and at the same time learn a bit more about the place where you want to live.
Lastly, stay across developments with the 'B'-word, because come next March the outcome of Brexit will potentially make a big difference to your plans.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Incantatrice
Hi Geordieborn

Thanks so much for your reply, can you recommend a gòod source of information I can visit to learn about the tax rates in Italy?

Thanks again
Offical site is the AdE here, but this EU site gives the rates table which give an idea how much more tax is than the UK. Don't forget there is no personal allowance..
Old Aug 28th 2018, 8:06 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Incantatrice
Hi 37100

That's useful to know, thank you. So you recommend coming over to job hunt? We have an uncle who lives 1 hour outside the city so I could potentially give his address. Defo food for thought, thanks. Do you live in the region? Do you mind me asking what your biggest culture shock was?
Thanks again
Definitely use your uncle's address and an Italian email address. An Italian mobile number would be useful too. Do you already have a codice fiscale? That is essential. You can good hunt from abroad, but get your uncle to check the local paper as some jobs are only advertised locally.
Top three tips usually seen here are; rent before you buy, learn Italian, and keep a foothold in the UK.
Yes, I'm in Verona. I've been here too long to comment on the cultural shock.
Old Sep 16th 2018, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Mincepie is a jewel in the roughMincepie is a jewel in the roughMincepie is a jewel in the roughMincepie is a jewel in the rough

Hello Incantatrice,

I've got two tips for before the move and four for after. Although, like 37100, I've been here, perhaps too long, to fully appreciate a newcomers needs. Good luck!

1. Set up a solid safety net in the U.K.

2. Only take to Italy what you really can't live without

----------

1. Start looking at the property market as soon as possible, in your chosen area and in other areas too. Try and see as much of Italy as you can, and visit similar businesses to the one you want to start.

2. Take on some voluntary work and get involved in the local community.

3. Nurture and safeguard any ties you may have with the U.K.

4. And on a last note.... Perhaps on an exchange basis (might work best with a younger Italian keen to move to the U.K. ...??!), try to set up some 'popular culture' lessons, whereby you are able to get a grounding of what's been getting the Italians buzzing in recent years. Key players and issues in Film, literature, publishing, theatre, comedy, music, TV, fads, influencers, websites, brands, sports etc. One of the hardest issues I came across when having moved here in the nineties was not being able to participate in any sort of 'trivial' chit-chat. That was, in a way, quite as distancing as any language barrier.

Old Sep 17th 2018, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Your husband plans to renovate a property - as a B&B you will need a certficate of agibilità, which means that all the work must conform to laws and be done with a SCIA which requires a building company with a DURC. Apart from painting and tweaking, your husband wont be allowed to do much of the work necessary. Budget for it to be done a reputable building company and then any saving will be a nice surprise.