Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Pets Out of Italy

Pets Out of Italy

Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road
Default Pets Out of Italy

I've been reading the other thread and didn't want to jump on it so have started another one.
Right, I have had both my cat and dog rabied vaccined in November but as of yet had not had the blood tests done. I haven't done this yet as we are now in UK (animals are living with MIL very happily in own home) but living with my parents who already have a cat. We cannot bring our pets over till we have our own place which by the looks of things will be at least 6-12 months.
I haven't done the test because I thought the blood test was only valid for one year and would have to go through the whole six month waiting period again. Have I read correct in the other post that once the test is positive, providing I keep the vaccinations up to date I can bring them back??
To explain myself better (its late and I'm not very good at explaining what I mean !!):
I have bllod test done in next few weeks; comes back ok and wait six months; in November have rabies vaccine done again; no need to do another blood test; win lottery, buy house, bring very missed pets back to Uk within 2 weeks ????
I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel !!!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pets Out of Italy

You only have to have the blood test done once, provided you keep up the rabies vaccinations. Miss the date of vaccination by one day and you have to start all over again. Once the blood test result are back positive, you then have to wait six months before you can take the pets into the UK.

As I say, after this six months you can take them in any time, providing all injections, worming etc. are up to date.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:21 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future
Default Re: Pets Out of Italy

Hi,
Six months and one day, don't forget the extra day as you won't get them into UKl. Margaret is correct, however my drama was that they had been jabbed before micro chipping so we had to have the jab again and the blood test done again and wait another six months and 1 day. I took them and the passports to the govt vet last week to get the stamps and signatures and he would not do the passports without a valid Leishmania blood test certificate, apparently this is an Italian requirement, so another blood test and now another waiting game for results and then another trip to the Govt vet. And after all that I will again try and get them back to UK this May
What a palava - but all to meet the UK requirements.

As for winning the lottery, good luck
Kenny