Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Permesso di soggiorno

Permesso di soggiorno

Old Jun 30th 2020, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Permesso di soggiorno

As we spend more than 90 but less than 183 days per year in Italy we are looking at the permesso as a post Brexit way forward. I understand that as well as income you need to demonstrate health insurance and this seems to be ludicrously expensive. Anybody have any experience of this? Is it possible to buy it for a short period just to satisfy the authorities? Under current arrangements we are of course covered by reciprocal arrangements will this continue post Brexit? As we are still in the negoiating period if we apply now is it necessary to show insurance?
Old Jun 30th 2020, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permesso di soggiorno

May be a Certificato di Residenza will do if Italy is not your real home.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks for the suggestion but I am not sure that will do the trick. What I am trying to find my way round is the post Brexit visa issue. From next year I am guessing that non-resident Brits will need a visa to enter Europe and that will only give you permission to reside for upto ninety days. I thought that a permesso di soggiorno would get around this but then came up against the health insurance thing. Anybody else facing this issue got any ideas?
Old Jun 30th 2020, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

We applied for and got our PdS's a couple of years ago at our local comune. One of us used an S1 to prove health Insurance and the other an EHIC card-it worked
Old Jun 30th 2020, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid
Hi
Thanks for the suggestion but I am not sure that will do the trick. What I am trying to find my way round is the post Brexit visa issue. From next year I am guessing that non-resident Brits will need a visa to enter Europe and that will only give you permission to reside for upto ninety days. I thought that a permesso di soggiorno would get around this but then came up against the health insurance thing. Anybody else facing this issue got any ideas?
Well, leaving aside the visa issue for one minute, from the Italian State's perspective why should they provide a simple way for anyone to reside here for more than 25% of the time, without paying contributions, whilst being a potential drain on resources? And that would probably include health, because if you are going to need a visa to enter then there's a high probability that there won't be a reciprocal health cover arrangement. Remember though that you would still get emergency cover regardless.

But basically the bottom line is that nobody knows what the state of things will be after the end of the transition period, which makes it pretty much impossible to plan for. The only thing you can be assured of is that emergency cover will continue (because that is available to all, regardless of origin and/or status)
Old Jun 30th 2020, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

My partner was quite ill in January and had to go into A&E with an orange code. The first thing they wanted was a valid Tessera Sanitaria. I am not sure what happens if you dont have one.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pica
We applied for and got our PdS's a couple of years ago at our local comune. One of us used an S1 to prove health Insurance and the other an EHIC card-it worked
You must have gone when they were in a good mood.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
My partner was quite ill in January and had to go into A&E with an orange code. The first thing they wanted was a valid Tessera Sanitaria. I am not sure what happens if you dont have one.
Simple answer, they treat you anyway.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 2:09 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid
As we spend more than 90 but less than 183 days per year in Italy we are looking at the permesso as a post Brexit way forward. I understand that as well as income you need to demonstrate health insurance and this seems to be ludicrously expensive. Anybody have any experience of this? Is it possible to buy it for a short period just to satisfy the authorities? Under current arrangements we are of course covered by reciprocal arrangements will this continue post Brexit? As we are still in the negoiating period if we apply now is it necessary to show insurance?
A visa gets you into Italy. A permesso allows you to stay. Post Brexit, unless some sort of reciprocal agreement is reached, Brits will have to jump through the same hoops that e.g. Americans who wish to stay more than 90 days do. A visa will be needed and to obtain that at a consulate Brits will need to show passport, driving licence, marriage cert, child birth cert if applicable, criminal history, health insurance, a place to live with sufficient sq footage for the family and a healthy bank account. There is no minimum income requirement and this allows consulates to refuse a visa to whoever they wish. This then needs to be transformed into a permesso at the questura and renewed at regular intervals. Non EU's with a permit are allowed to buy into the Italian healthcare for an annual fee of 7.50% of total annual income up to approx €20,700, then 4% over that amount. Min contribution x year -Jan- Dec- approx €390. Slightly more for couples, but cant remember.
If you apply now, yes you will need insurance. Ask your comune exactly what they want as it can vary. Some regions allow you to buy into the system the same way as non-EU's.

Old Jun 30th 2020, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Uk Is currently advising you get one of the following.
  • an attestazione di regolarità di soggiorno
  • a certificato di residenza
  • attestazione di iscrizione anagrafica or attestazione di soggiorno permanente (if resident for 5 years or more)
In the absence of any Brexit deal I wonder if these documents will still be valid in 2021?
Old Jun 30th 2020, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

You must have gone when they were in a good mood.
I think they're easily bamboozled but it worked in our favour so - back of the net as Alan Partridge would say.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 4:27 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

The Uk Is currently advising you get one of the following.
  • an attestazione di regolarità di soggiorno
  • a certificato di residenza
  • attestazione di iscrizione anagrafica or attestazione di soggiorno permanente (if resident for 5 years or more)
In the absence of any Brexit deal I wonder if these documents will still be valid in 2021?
I believe, that as they are part of the Withdrawal Agreement, deal or no deal is irrelevant to their validity.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hi everyone
Thanks for all your contributions. At the end of it all I am still mighty confused so I am popping over to see a friend of mine who is a lawyer to see if she knows what is going on. As Serrano said nobody seems to know and as we own our house over here I would feel a whole lot better if I knew something. Maybe the reciprocal health arrangements will continue. Goodness what a mess.
I always measure the passing of the year as Eredita changes to Reazione a Catena.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

No-one knows because there is no agreement yet. When Boris throws his tantrum and pulls GB out wihtout a deal then you will need a PdS from next January if you stay more than 90 days, and also - if the EU is feeling particularly vindictive - a Schengen visa. Im sure there will be lots of health insurance companies popping up with deals, but if you are not rolling in it, then the assicurazione volontaria is a good way to go. The Ass Vol runs from 1Jan to 31 Dec to if you're going to get it, get it early in the year to get your moneys worth.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

British in Italy have some information for residents and a link to the new Attestazione form.
https://britishinitaly.net/residents-rights-procedures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.