Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Permesso di sioggiorno or not??!!

Permesso di sioggiorno or not??!!

Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Elizabeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Permesso di sioggiorno or not??!!

Hi Sarah!
Please,please,please can you tell me everything about this law of november,(eg number)saying thay Brits don't need a Permesso di soggiorno now.
I've had so many problems with the bureaucracy since moving here 2 years ago and what really makes me mad is that no 2 employees say the same thing,eg at Questura,PRA.They just seem to make up the rules as they go along(probably because they don't know!)
Many thanks!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah Clarke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Elizabeth,

Actually, it was my husband who managed to sort it all out and he is in the UK at the moment. But from what I understand, if you are from the EU then you don't need one BUT most Italians actually don't seem to know this!! We were doing fine until we registered our little Italian car (my husband convinced the garage that we didn't need a PDS) and all was going fine but then we were sent a letter (from the registation dept I think) asking for it!!! What we actually did was to get a 'Carta di Soggiorno' which is a much easier version to obtain. It can all be done at the Post Office without the need to queue for 4 hours! You fill in a form and pay in cash and it is done through the post. Having said all of that I don't think ours has arrived yet as I'm sure my husband would have been very excited about getting over another hurdle!!! I hope this helps, if not, mail again and I can ask him in more detail when he returns.

Ciao, Sarah
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Clarky7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Good news, as of April 11th a new law was passed which means EU citizens do not need to apply for a siggorno. Great news, I don't have to que for 5 hours to renew mine next year!!

Wayne
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Clarky7 View Post
Hi All,

Good news, as of April 11th a new law was passed which means EU citizens do not need to apply for a siggorno. Great news, I don't have to que for 5 hours to renew mine next year!!

Wayne
Hiya!
Don't s'pose you know/could find out the number of this law could you?
So as I can go and quote it at my local PRA office!
I've had a nightmare bringing my car(a FIAT!)over from Blighty!
After writing to Swansea to get it deregistered there,writing to Fiat for,I've now forgotten why but was told to do it!After changing the lights,having an equivalent of an MOT,getting it registered here,paying a solicitor 60 euros to verify I was who I said I was,cos passport and Carta D'Identita not enough,I was then told by PRA that I couldn't own it in my name or drive it here cos my Permesso di Soggiorno had expired!
As you can imagine,I was not too happy and my fiance had to rush me out before I made too much of a "brutta figura"!
Many thanks!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:14 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Is that like a resident card ?
It is the same now in Spain, EU citizens no longer need a residencia card.
It will probably take a while for the officials to find out though.... ;-)
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Clarky7 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Italian Government has issued a law (Dlgs n. 30 dated 6/2/2007) stating that an European citizen can live in Italy without requesting to the Police Authority a permit of stay. The law is applicable since 11 April 2007.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

The Italian Government has issued a law (Dlgs n. 30 dated 6/2/2007) stating that an European citizen can live in Italy without requesting to the Police Authority a permit of stay. The law is applicable since 11 April 2007.
Thanks very much for that info!
Will be interesting to see if PRA has been updated!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

catwoman66 will become famous soon enough

Ohhh thank you I have been here yonks so that means I won't have to queue either plus the fact I always lose the darn thing anyway. cat
Old Apr 28th 2007, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Hi!
Went to Informacitta office in city where I live to enquire about new legistlation re Permesso di Soggiorno.They did know about law 30 of 6th feb which started to be enforced on 11th April(amazingly!)Which is all fine & dandy if you work here but if you are not actually employed here(even though I've given proof of my funds and have been co-habitating with my italian fiance,who is employed here,for 2 years now)you have to have a private health insurance.(which I did have when I first arrived.)
Don't really want to take out another one as a)costs about 300 euros for 2-3 months & b)am getting married to my italian fiance in July.After which, hopefully,all this bureaucratic nightmare will cease(speriamo!)
Meanwhile I'm not allowed to drive my car or,for example,buy a new one or purchase or rent property(if I wanted to)!
Che due p--le!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 12:05 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Hi!
Went to Informacitta office in city where I live to enquire about new legistlation re Permesso di Soggiorno.They did know about law 30 of 6th feb which started to be enforced on 11th April(amazingly!)Which is all fine & dandy if you work here but if you are not actually employed here(even though I've given proof of my funds and have been co-habitating with my italian fiance,who is employed here,for 2 years now)you have to have a private health insurance.(which I did have when I first arrived.)
Don't really want to take out another one as a)costs about 300 euros for 2-3 months & b)am getting married to my italian fiance in July.After which, hopefully,all this bureaucratic nightmare will cease(speriamo!)
Meanwhile I'm not allowed to drive my car or,for example,buy a new one or purchase or rent property(if I wanted to)!
Che due p--le!
WHAT::::????!!!!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

CarrieW is on a distinguished road

Surely the private health insurance thing would only apply to a non EU citizen though?

We have never had a Pds, due to my husband still being employed and paid through the UK office of his company and therefore having no Italian work contract.
We both have cars, insured and driven legally. We both have a doctors now (in fact I am nearly 4 months pregnant and have had no problem with getting my healthcare sorted out, using my EU health card) and have not been asked for the Pds by anyone other than our doctor, who after some persuading took us onto the books using the EU health card and some other ID.

I am not sure why you would be asked to get health insurance as if you are an EU citizen you can go anywhere in the EU and get free heath care and not being able to drive???? Why would that be?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Not able to drive because without permesso(or now letter of registration which replaces it,which they won't give me until I take out health insurance or get married)I am not allowed to own a car in Italy.I could drive one owned by somebody else but seems ridiculous when I have my own sitting in drive which I have owned in GB since 2003!Incidently,I also managed to get it insured over here!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Hi!Just showed your reply to my fiance and he says you are covered because your EU health card is covered by Britain because your husband is still employed there.
Am interested to know if your car is insured through british or italian company?
If british,how did you manage to continue being covered after being out of Uk for more than 90 days?Do you still have british residency?
All these facts can make a lot of difference!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mazi View Post
WHAT::::????!!!!
What don't you understand?!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

CarrieW is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Hi!Just showed your reply to my fiance and he says you are covered because your EU health card is covered by Britain because your husband is still employed there.
Am interested to know if your car is insured through british or italian company?
If british,how did you manage to continue being covered after being out of Uk for more than 90 days?Do you still have british residency?
All these facts can make a lot of difference!
When we got our health cards we were not asked where he was employed - you can apply online and we just got them delivered to a relative in the UK! As an EU citizen you have a right to free healthcare anywhere in the EU. You can show up at a hospital or doctors with your British passport and they would have to treat you (according to our doctor).

Our cars are both Italian, bought new here last year and insured with an Italian company. We were not even asked for our Pds; I only showed my passport and Codice Fiscale. We even got finance and had only been in the country for a couple of months!

We both have Italian residency too.

Hope you manage to get your situation and the red tape sorted soon.
Carrie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.