Reload this Page >

PART EXCHANGE OF UK REGISTERED CAR in ITALY

PART EXCHANGE OF UK REGISTERED CAR in ITALY

Old May 11th 2021, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

reecesonia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PART EXCHANGE OF UK REGISTERED CAR in ITALY

Hi, I want to buy an Italian car.
I have an old car which is UK registered, MOT'd , Insured, taxed.
The value of the car isn't worth the expense of registering in Italy - cost of plates etc. and lengthy process.

Any advice on part exchanging at a garage without having to first register car in Italy? I would appreciate any advice, even if it is advice on scrapping the car in Italy.

Thanks in advance
Old May 11th 2021, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice
Default Re: PART EXCHANGE OF UK REGISTERED CAR in ITALY

You could sell it for spare parts in Italy, 9 years ago I had an old ford fiesta on UK plates in Rome, I sold everything I could as spares from it and drove the remnants to a scrapping station near where I live, I took the plates off and scraped it. I sent a note to DVLA and never heard another thing.

Unless its a classic, in which case someone else might nationalise it having bought it as un-roadworthy. My enquiries into nationalising vehicles caused me to give up before starting, time consuming and expensive
Old May 12th 2021, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

No garage or dealer will touch it, it will have to be imported before they can sell it on. Your only option is to make it disappear, either in little pieces or as a whole. If you're not up to dismantling a car, you could try a sfasciacarrozza who might take it off your hands - but if you're looking for serious money then you need to rethink the whole thing, unless you can find a Brit who wants to buy a car to drive to the UK.
Old May 12th 2021, 10:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

The "sfasciacarrozza" is compelled to scrap it legally and somebody will have to pay scrapping fees:
Servizi ACI - Demolizione

Some don't do it and you will find out your car is still registered somewhere and you may receive a bill years later. Yes, I know, I'm being pessimistic but Murphy's law does apply in Italy too and even more so than anywhere else.
Old May 12th 2021, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with above comments.

We couldn't find any dealer that would give us any money off the new car for part-exchanging the UK one. But they did take it and scrapped it (the dealer did accept responsibility for the costs of this).
Old May 13th 2021, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

There are sfasciacarrozza which take your car for free, (or even pay you a bit) strip it down and still scrap it legally. You dont have to demolish the entire car -so once you've sold on doors, mirrors, windscreens and bits of engine, there's still enough to scrap legally. As you can imagine the market for second hand bumpers and bodywork in Italy is thriving!
Old May 18th 2021, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for response.
Old May 18th 2021, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for suggestions - food for thought.
Old May 18th 2021, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Appreciate you direct response. A pitfall I could have fallen into.
Old May 18th 2021, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks . Worth a try as it isn't the money aspect so much. Thanks
Old May 18th 2021, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, scrapping in some way seems to be the way forward. Bumper sales must a profitable buisiness here