Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Padua - Vicenza info

Wikiposts

Padua - Vicenza info

Old May 4th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Padua - Vicenza info

Hi

I'm not currently in Italy but have been offered a job in Padua and am seriously considering it. I'd appreciate any inside info you can give me. I read that Padua is a studenty place and easy to get around. Is it a nice place to live? I'm reliant on public transport so would need to live in or nearby on a good transport link.

I've been offered 1700€ per month (on a 12 month basis, not the italian 14/15 payments) and the school say they can find me a flat for 500€. Does this sound reasonable?

All advice will be gratefully received!
Old May 6th 2007, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

CarrieW is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Padua - Vicenza info

Hi Rachelk,

Sounds like a fairly good deal wages wise to me - never expect to get paid what you would in the UK!

I live not far from Padova (as Padua is known to the Italian's) on the outskirts of Vicenza. I do not know Padova particularly well, only in a touristy kind of way (there is a good Indian restaurant there I have heard!). You are right about the number of students there but I suppose this makes for lots of rental properties in the centre.

There is also an International ladies group that meet up for coffee and arrange events for foreign and Italian women, although the women that attend are mainly those with children at the British School in Padova.

The region is a good place to live and to explore the north of Italy, in my opinion.

Public transport seems fairly OK across the region from my few experiences of using it and from what I have heard from other friends without cars living here - there are delays but aren't there everywhere! It is cheaper to use public transport here than it would be in the UK.

If it is only intially for 12 months then it could be a great experience for you to taste living over here, especially if you have not lived abroad before. If you really don't like it you are not commited to stay too long, so you have the best of both worlds.

If you decide to take up the job offer and head over this way do get in touch and I will be more than happy to meet up with you and show you around.

Ciao
Carrie
Old May 6th 2007, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Carrie, that's really kind of you. Should I decide to take the job I will be in touch.
Old May 6th 2007, 11:22 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Ciao, 1700€ is a very good wage if it's net. I know several engineers getting paid a lot less. Not that I'm saying engineers should get paid more than teachers
Old May 11th 2007, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Bluebird is an unknown quantity at this point

hi rachelk,

i have been living in padova for about 10 months and really enjoy it. it is a beautiful city and very well located for some wonderful parts if the north of italy.

public transport is plentiful and cheap - around €1.50 by bus anywhere in the city - and very reasonable if you travel outside the city too. as is the train - the railway station is very near to the centre and there are fantastic links all over italy and europe as the eurostars and intercity expresses from venice all stop at padova.

i've been told that the population of padova is around 200,000 and so it is not too large a city to become acquainted with. it is a university city - but there is much more to padova than student life.

€500 a month sounds about right for a nice one bedroom apartment in a nice area of padova - expect to may more in the centre as €500 will get you just a large betsit in student areas in the centre.

i've come across quite a few brits - although not too many that it becomes annoying - so you should not have too many problems if you need some help.

let me know if you need any more info and i'll be happy to help.

ciao

bluebird
Old May 11th 2007, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all for your help and advice.

Sadly, I decided not to take the job. Padua sounds lovely but the school wanted me to claim to pay tax in the UK as a UK resident - I'm not and didn't feel comfortable with the idea of 'cheating'. They didn't offer any alternative solution, so I had to turn it down.